Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001: Supercharged E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Did you sleeve your engine?
Yes steel sleeve.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 E320cdi
you have done a fantastic job on your car.. that is the ride height i am looking for maybe even jus a small bit lower.. do you have a link for the coilovers ??
also are they 2002 model headlights ??
Old 04-12-2011, 12:52 PM

Used to drive E55
Question for Abalone? With the coil overs did you have to use a camber kit? I have H & R springs and the last time around I replaced my tires I was down to the metal on all four wheels. all wear was on the inside of the wheels. Yours is definitley lower than mine. And it looks great that low
Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ollie payne
you have done a fantastic job on your car.. that is the ride height i am looking for maybe even jus a small bit lower.. do you have a link for the coilovers ??
also are they 2002 model headlights ??
Hi!

Thanks alot!

They are only K-Sport coilovers ordered from my local shop. I think they are for a E320 if you look in the order spec, then you just have to say you need harder springs cause it will be on a E55 AMG. It worked fine for me. BUT since these pics where taken the car has settle quite much. And it's actually TO low in the front. There are some scratch from the front tires against the front fenders. I would highly suggest that you roll out the front fenders if you are going for K-Sport coilovers. At least the ones i have on my car.

Good luck!

// Magnus
Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by RAFFIE55
Question for Abalone? With the coil overs did you have to use a camber kit? I have H & R springs and the last time around I replaced my tires I was down to the metal on all four wheels. all wear was on the inside of the wheels. Yours is definitley lower than mine. And it looks great that low
No i don't have a camber kit And i have the same problems, inner wear on all 4 tires. It's not that much in the front, it's worst on the rear tires. But i guess you could maybe change side on them after a while? Left to right and vice versa to get more KM/miles out of them?

// Magnus
Old 06-24-2011, 04:56 PM

'03 E55 Estate
ABALONE

Did you have to make any mods to the other suspensions parts to make the coilovers fit your E55?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
springs

After reading this tread...I have come to the conclusion, as I had my previous mb lowered with eibach springs that the wear on the rear tires were ridiculous. I had never worn down a set of brand new Bridgestones before my W124 and I had actually worn them down to the steel thread within 15,000 miles and they are on the inner tread!! This car, I will change to #1 pads all round and thats it....maybe euro springs if I can get my hands on a deal.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by tooFATtoDRIVE
ABALONE

Did you have to make any mods to the other suspensions parts to make the coilovers fit your E55?
Hi!

Nope, not other mods this far. But the rear wheel inner wear is quite amazing
Old 06-25-2011, 11:20 AM

86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Camber kit

I think, for all you folks who like to ride low...myself included ...the camber kit is a must if you don't want to buy new tires every 6 months. Also, when it rains, the rears with the inner worned is very scary. I wreck the back of my W124 coming back from work one day late at nite with a slight drizzling rain and the back with semi worn tires.

From what I figure, this kit will push the wheels back out to look like they are straight instead of slanted (caving inward) // - \\ especially in the rear. Some of you folks who had done it please let us know how this kit works and where can we get them. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
It is silly to spend all the money on a nice car like an AMG then dump a fair amount of money on a good suspension, rims, and tires to forgo installing a camber kit. Not only are you destroying your tires but you are sacrificing performance. Easy way to think about it is you want the maximum contact patch to get maximum traction, if you tires are at an angle you do not have the maximum contact patch (which is easy to see as your tires are wearing more on the inside where they are contacting the ground)

I went all out on my suspension but wouldn't dare install any of it until I had my camber kits. I installed a K-MAC camber/castor kit in the front and some MBArts adjustable camber arms in the rear. My suspension is FULLY adjustable (except ride height) and can be dialed in for either daily driving or track time. All together I paid about $750 for both the front camber kit and rear camber arms. I have no uneven tire wear (thank god as my tires are $275 a piece) and that is due to my camber kits.

If you are lowering your vehicle camber kits are a MUST...

Here is a link to the K-MAC site:
http://www.k-mac.com.au/pages/newpro...ercedes_05.htm

The part numbers you want for a W210 E55 are

FRONT: #502116 K = $480
REAR:
#502026 H = $320

The kits come from Australia so be prepared to pay $$$$ ( think I paid around $100 or so) for shipping as these kits are heavy.

The K-MAC kits adjust camber by pulling in the bottom of the wheel instead of pushing out the top. This will maintain your outer fender clearance reducing the possibility of rubbing but if you do decide to go with some negative camber (like if you decided to track your car) pushing out the bottom of the wheel will give you a wider track width increasing your cornering performance.

Again going with these kits will allow you to adjust camber and castor.

I have a KMAC kit installed on the front and it made a MAJOR difference. Not only in even tire wear but performance as well.

Hope this helps

Last edited by 503C43 ////AMG; 06-25-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
Here is a link to the K-MAC site:
http://www.k-mac.com.au/pages/newpro...ercedes_05.htm

The part numbers you want for a W210 E55 are

FRONT: #502116 K = $480
REAR: #502026 H = $320

The kits come from Australia so be prepared to pay $$$$ ( think I paid around $100 or so) for shipping as these kits are heavy.

The K-MAC kits adjust camber by pulling in the bottom of the wheel instead of pushing out the top. This will maintain your outer fender clearance reducing the possibility of rubbing but if you do decide to go with some negative camber (like if you decided to track your car) pushing out the bottom of the wheel will give you a wider track width increasing your cornering performance.

Again going with these kits will allow you to adjust camber and castor.

I have a KMAC kit installed on the front and it made a MAJOR difference. Not only in even tire wear but performance as well.

Hope this helps
Thank you very much for the link on the camber kit. I can see the first thing they show is the squat wheel diagram. These are very expensive compare to the lowering springs. Surely you can gt them locally around here in the US. For that price, it would be better to go with euro springs made for our cars like mfletch69 did on his.

Heres the link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...delivered.html

And you don't have to order camber kits plus the headache of installing them. My conclusion would be #1 pads all round and a set of Euro springs and a set of mercedes spring compressor from ebay.

Unless like abalone...you want lower.....then you should get the camber kit and in the long run....would be cheaper as the tires cost more then a grand for them. As the saying goes "penny wise...pound folish"...my two cents.

Last edited by snooozie; 06-26-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: add more
Old 06-26-2011, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by snooozie
Thank you very much for the link on the camber kit. I can see the first thing they show is the squat wheel diagram. These are very expensive compare to the lowering springs. Surely you can gt them locally around here in the US. For that price, it would be better to go with euro springs made for our cars like mfletch69 did on his.

Heres the link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...delivered.html

And you don't have to order camber kits plus the headache of installing them. My conclusion would be #1 pads all round and a set of Euro springs and a set of mercedes spring compressor from ebay.

Unless like abalone...you want lower.....then you should get the camber kit and in the long run....would be cheaper as the tires cost more then a grand for them. As the saying goes "penny wise...pound folish"...my two cents.
Anytime you change the ride height of your vehicle the camber will be affected, even using the OEM EURO spec springs. Granted the amount of negative camber will be minimal in comparison to an after market set of springs but you will still incur negative camber with the EURO spec springs. MB makes a set of eccentric camber bolts that will adjust the camber SLIGHTLY, I would assume these were made for EURO spec springs (just a guess) and they can be picked up for around $25 or so from your local MB dealership, much cheaper but again the amount of camber that can be dialed in is MINIMAL in comparison to the K-MAC kit as well as not having the ability to dial in your castor like the K-MAC kit allows. The install is much easier with the eccentric camber bolts as well. I looked at going this route but it wasn't going to get the results I was looking for using after market springs.

I have learned over the years to do it right the first time, no matter the cost. You will wind up paying more in the long run (i.e. tires, gas mileage, etc...) by going the cheap route. It may cost more today but eventually it will pay for itself. If you are looking for maximum performance as well as maximum longevity of your tires I would look at getting an aftermarket camber kit, it doesn't have to be the K-MAC kit but I definitely recommend it...
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM

I feel like i should also shime in that my E55 had quite much inner wear on the rear wheels even when my car was stock suspension with the stock Euro springs and 1# pads. It's not like it where zero wear back then. But instaalling the coilovers made it worse so a camber kit is in place just like mentioned above.

// Magnus
Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 PM

camber sdjustments

ABALONE you run the Ksport coilovers, front and rear. and you said that there is a slight camber issue. the ksports come with a camber adjustable top mount, right?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by r6pokey
ABALONE you run the Ksport coilovers, front and rear. and you said that there is a slight camber issue. the ksports come with a camber adjustable top mount, right?
Hi!

Hmm, not that i know. I know they are adjustable in stiffness on the top but didn't know you could adjust the camber to?

// Magnus
Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by r6pokey
Originally Posted by ABALONE
Hi!

Hmm, not that i know. I know they are adjustable in stiffness on the top but didn't know you could adjust the camber to?

// Magnus

I fail to see how you could adjust camber from a top mount. I am guessing you are either referring to the ability to adjust damper (stiffness) or castor but I have never heard of the ability to adjust camber from the top side of a strut, shock, or coilover.

To adjust camber you need to pull the tire in or push it out...