Couple weird noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Couple weird noises

I noticed a few noises coming from the E55. I was wondering if anyone else has had this or might have an idea what it could be.

First, I have a loud noise coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. Best described it sounds like a diesel while running. It never seems go go away or change. I just changed the oil and still have the noise.

Second, I have a noise coming from the speaker area of the passenger front on the dashboard. This noise usually goes away when I'm going over 30+ or when I turn right...when I turn left at the same speed it continues. The sounds is like a rattle but more annoying. This noise isn't as worrysome as the first noise.

Third, it isn't a noise, but rather a problem with the car shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It shifts extremely hard. If I'm on the interstate and going between 60-80 it bogs down and goes no faster. I've tried resetting the ECU, but no luck on anything

Does anyone have any input? I'm bringing it to a mechanic in a couple days, but wanted a heads up

Thanks!

Anyone
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
When was the trans fluid last changed, if you know?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
The problem with the car bogging, does that happen when you go WOT? When it bogs, does your cruise control still work?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No idea about the trans fluid. Is this something I can do? I'm used to BMW's lately and you don't change them.

Yes it bogs down when I step on it. No idea though about cruise. I don't drive with it much.

Should I go ahead and change trans fliud, and what should I do about the bogging?

Thanks saintz!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
Symptoms of a bad TPS: car will run fine. You floor it, and all of a sudden it goes into a sort of limp mode. Car accelerates like it's got a V2 instead of a V8 and there is a 2 second delay between hitting the go pedal and the car starting to move. The cruise control will not work. If you turn the car off and back on it will be back to normal until you floor it again.

For the trans, you definitely want to service it. Check for the trans filler tube. It's passenger side near the firewall. There is a cap with a square locking pin. If the pin is black, the fluid has never been touched. If the pin is red, it has been serviced (maybe to top off, maybe to change, you don't know). If the pin is missing, it's been tampered with (maybe changed properly, maybe not, seeing as they didn't put a pin back in).

It's easy to change the trans oil, either with an extractor from the top or by unscrewing the plug on the bottom. You ideally want to (especially if you have rough shifts) drain it, drop the pan, and replace the filter. Dropping the pan is a little intimidating the first time, but is actually very easy. The pan weighs less than 5 pounds and takes less than 5 minutes to remove it, once you get the hang of it. You can change everything for under $75 versus $300-$400 or so to have a mechanic do it.

Changing the trans fluid is always my first thought when there's rough shifting.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saintz
Symptoms of a bad TPS: car will run fine. You floor it, and all of a sudden it goes into a sort of limp mode. Car accelerates like it's got a V2 instead of a V8 and there is a 2 second delay between hitting the go pedal and the car starting to move. The cruise control will not work. If you turn the car off and back on it will be back to normal until you floor it again.

For the trans, you definitely want to service it. Check for the trans filler tube. It's passenger side near the firewall. There is a cap with a square locking pin. If the pin is black, the fluid has never been touched. If the pin is red, it has been serviced (maybe to top off, maybe to change, you don't know). If the pin is missing, it's been tampered with (maybe changed properly, maybe not, seeing as they didn't put a pin back in).

It's easy to change the trans oil, either with an extractor from the top or by unscrewing the plug on the bottom. You ideally want to (especially if you have rough shifts) drain it, drop the pan, and replace the filter. Dropping the pan is a little intimidating the first time, but is actually very easy. The pan weighs less than 5 pounds and takes less than 5 minutes to remove it, once you get the hang of it. You can change everything for under $75 versus $300-$400 or so to have a mechanic do it.

Changing the trans fluid is always my first thought when there's rough shifting.

Saintz you are the greatest. Can you tell me real quick what TPS is? I'm at work right now and can't look it up. Also can I get the filter and trans fluid at say advanced or auto zone, or would I have to go to the dealer?

These symptoms are pretty much what I'm experiencing. Should I stop driving it until I fix this?

This is exactly what I'm gonna do...You saved me from going to the mechanic I can't wait to get started.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. Harmless to drive, just don't go WOT, because it's not fun (or totally safe, if you needed to pass in an emergency) to drive a hamster powered car.

Check parts.com and autohausaz.com for parts. The oil will be much cheaper online than at your dealer. You will find none of the needed parts or oil at Autozone/Pep Boys/etc. You need the MB specific trans oil (or the compatible Fuchs from Autohausaz.com), not generic trans fluid from Walmart or Autozone.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saintz
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. Harmless to drive, just don't go WOT, because it's not fun (or totally safe, if you needed to pass in an emergency) to drive a hamster powered car.

Check parts.com and autohausaz.com for parts. The oil will be much cheaper online than at your dealer. You will find none of the needed parts or oil at Autozone/Pep Boys/etc. You need the MB specific trans oil (or the compatible Fuchs from Autohausaz.com), not generic trans fluid from Walmart or Autozone.
Thanks! I'll be looking for everything soon. I think I found the fill tube. There isn't a dipstick there right?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Almost forgot...do I use an extractor for the left over fluid in the torque converter? To do that would I extract it from the filler tube?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
Correct, there's no dipstick. I recommend buying one (eBay or OhLord on this board).

You won't be able to empty the torque converter. Your best bet is to drain and change the filter (will remove half the fluid) and then if you're still getting rough shifts, drain the fluid a second time (will remove 75% of the fluid).
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, thanks. I'll send him a message. I guess I'll do what I can. The fluid is expensive so hopefully it fixes it the first time.

Just tried the cruise control and I got nothing. So that's one problem. Thanks again for the help. I gotta get back into how these cars work again
Old 08-16-2010, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, well I ended up ordering some trans fluid, filter kit, dipstick, and a new TPS. All should be here this week, and I hope to do the work when I get back from our trip in the gulf. We have a few buoys to work now that we are done with the oil spill.

I'll keep you all informed soon.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hopefully you can shed some light on my new but same problem, saintz. I installed the new TPS sensor tonight and had no difference with the hard shift from 2-3rd and the bogging down when I WOT on the gas.

I'm waiting on the dipstick, but I bought about 5 qts. of trans fluid. Do you think there might be something else to look at or would the fluid change help?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
monowiper
about that first noise you mentioned the diesel one,
are you sure it's not from driver's side? listen close with hood opened, put your hand on the tank evap valve, it's really close to where the throttle cable is, and feel it, because that thing makes that same type of noise as time goes by...i remember changing mine a few years ago, noise completely disappeared...
Old 08-23-2010, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Eurosport
about that first noise you mentioned the diesel one,
are you sure it's not from driver's side? listen close with hood opened, put your hand on the tank evap valve, it's really close to where the throttle cable is, and feel it, because that thing makes that same type of noise as time goes by...i remember changing mine a few years ago, noise completely disappeared...
Well the noise has gone away, but it doesn't mean the problem is gone. I'm hoping once the fluid is changed it will run smoother and the way it should. Right now it's driving me crazy to push the peddle to the floor it does nothing. I'm just waiting on the dipstick to get here now.