Sponsored by:

COLD and Tranny

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13' E550, 14' Ram, 99' E39 wagon
COLD and Tranny

Well, it's been pretty cold up in the North East and this morning it was -3 when I left the house.

The tranny takes a loooong time to warm up and it won't shift out of second. Now I know this is normal but it's been taking longer and longer to shift out of it. It used to be only a block or so but lately it's been like a mile or so.

I let the car warm up before leaving but it still has a hard time shifting. Once it warms up everything is fine.

Could this be due to low fluid? I changed the fluid and filter about 50,000 miles ago.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
I live in Columbus, Ohio and have the same tranny issue when the temperature dips below freezing. I let the transmission find itself very gently so as to avoid sudden grabbing, and then I manuall shift the tranmission from Drive down through first gear, and back, and this routine allows me to proceed without difficulty after this babysitting over the first 50 yards . . . .
I've been told that my tranny fluid is OK, but the viscosity would seem to be wrong. I was also advised by a mechanic, that there is a link to the outside temperature that limits the transmission.
Others have the same issue?
Old 01-26-2011, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Exclamation

I can't comment on the E55 (covered and garaged) but my winter beater when slowing down from 30 thumps very lightly after doing some re-search the conclusion is that it's just frigging freezing out for any automobile some will have effects while others won't just really depends on the car. In conclusion the tranny has to come up to temps 5-15 min depending on how cold it is. Here in good ol New England I think we will hit -9C without the windshield. So ya pretty damn cold out there

Oh and on my winter beater- before the winter we rocked a tranny fluid change/filter and we let her spill out overnight to try and get most of the tranny fluid. Only thumps ever so lightly when tranny is cold and slowing down from 30mph once it warms up doesnt happen at all. No shavings in the tranny pan.

Armani
Old 01-28-2011, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Probably worth changing the tranny fluid again if it's been 50k miles and you intend to keep the car. But probably won't fix the problem. It's really cold.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13' E550, 14' Ram, 99' E39 wagon
Yeah, I'll be changing it in the spring. I guess it's just cold. Even my E brake pedal gets stuck to the floor and I have to help it with my foot!