Sponsored by:

O2 Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Silver E55
O2 Replacement Question

Changed 3 of 4 O2's and the MAF tonight. Could not figure a way to get on the driver's side pre-cat O2. Is there a way to change it without dropping the exhaust? The other 3 went really quick.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
I see no one has posted yet, and if you haven't gotten off it yet then I'm sure you felt like me...Well, I wasn't easy. having the right tool is key. To get it off I cut the wire as close to the sensor as I could. Then I stuck a deep well socket over it...to get it on I ended up cutting one of my wrenches. (really I cut it to get it off, but it didn't help) I cut it to about 3" long and it worked great.

Don't give up
Old 05-07-2011, 08:50 AM

1999 Silver E55
Thanks! I have an oxygen sensor socket that made the passenger side easy, but due to the length it hit the firewall when I tried to use it on the driver's side. So I was looking for a picture to post when I came across this set:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028QGTNG/...SIN=B0028QGTNG

Mine is on the left. Based on what you used, I'm thinking the one on the right might work.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
I used a socket I had in my craftsman set. You will need either this tool or another deep well socket and a stubby wrench to do this. If you can wait on shipping then get that tool. I couldn't wait so I made things work with what I had.

If you have neither a socket deep enough or a wrench short enough, then I'd go out to the stores around you to find them.

Keep us posted. I did this job a few months ago so it's fresh on my mind
Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 PM

1999 Silver E55
Autozone had the crow's foot pictured in the middle of my link above, so I bought that. After ten minutes of fumbling around through what little access is available from below I was able it to get it on. I then used a couple of 1/2" drive extensions from the top. One had to be a wobble extension because of the angle of the sensor. I was able to break it loose, but the travel is very limited. If I turned it more than one flat it would get trappped under the shield for the steering coupler and not be able to lift enough to get another bite on the hex. I can't imagine trying to get a 3" wrench in there.

I ended up tightening it back up. I thought I could work the old one out, but didn't see how I could get the new one started since I couldn't get my hand in there. Short of pulling the coil packs in the hope that I could get my hand in from the top I think dropping the pipe is my only other option. Hope to try that this weekend.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:07 PM

1999 Silver E55
Got it! Pulled the four bolts holding the sway bar frame brackets, the 2 bolts holding the exhast pipe to the manifold and the 2 bolts for the exhaust hanger off the tranny. This allowed the pipe to drop enough to get the my hands on the sensor. Took about 30 minutes.