Sponsored by:

lowering springs??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
well good and bad news ... the damn dealer did the points value thing wrong on how they end up figuring out what parts we need for our cars . When i took to the indi told him order another since he said he will get the part faster then the dealer . so part comes in , indi calls me to bring the car in ,
Well my first mistake was to tell him if the shock hes taking off doesnt match the new one DONT INSTALL IT lol .. Anyhow , the shocks on my front end are not the AMG sport oem springs but probably for a e430 or something .. But the Indi should of noticed that the new ones arnt the same as the one he took off .. The spring that came off the car had 3 white lines with 1 yellow line and the new springs had a blue and yellow line ..anyhow he allready had installed and when i pulled up the car was out front and sitting so high in front i could put my fist between fender and tire .. After tellin him something wrong he replied that who knows what springs were on before so i tell him look it up thru the Vin , even the indi came up with wrong points value . Then after gettin a little irritated i had him call the MB parts warehouse to confirm , after couple minutes the MB warehouse<smart guy> came back with higher points value total and ended up being same spring as was removed . Well being friday late afternoon too late to put in order for next day so now i have to wait till monday or tuesday for correct springs to come in . Was kinda pissed at the indi as he should of seen the springs wernt the same and shouldnt have installed from the gets , but he ordered new springs and will swap them out free of charge ..also the AMG spring were $67+ tax compared to the $62 one the dealer gave me . so now my ride looks like a retarded AMG for the moment but atleast one corner isnt sitting slammed . Im just hoping that once these wrong springs are removed i cant take the wrong one dealer gave me and they will return it for refund since it was their fault giving me wrong spring in 1st place , didnt wanna leave my car there till tuesday so just took it as is . if the dealer doesnt refund me ill end up having spend close to just over $400 just to replace front springs with oems ..lmaoWTF
heres how im rollin ATM ..lol

Last edited by MBFLO; 06-11-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got the right springs in and swapped out .. Front end still sits kinda high and drastically more then the rear .. I used same spring pads and now think i should of switched the fronts to give it a lower drop . But my driver side still sits lower then my passenger side like a quarter inch or so . The spring perch looks ok and solid ..
Anyone have any ideas what else it could be . Indi says everything looks good . Claims the spring might need to settle but he cant think of anything else . also when just changing the fronts springs will they sit that much higher then the rears ..
Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 E55 AMG Obsidian Black with Charcoal
Originally Posted by MBFLO
But my driver side still sits lower then my passenger side like a quarter inch or so . The spring perch looks ok and solid ..
Anyone have any ideas what else it could be ...
Do the top spring perches look about the same height? Measured from the same point on both sides?

Maybe the tops are good and the lower control arm is the culprit? Bushings bad on on side? Bent control arm? Spring seating area?

Switch front springs from pass to driver's side. See if it is the spring?????

Last edited by cudaized; 06-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Did you check, or the indie garage check both left and right spring shims are the same size?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 E55
what springs did you use?? are they a matched set bought at the same time?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

everything seems in place and right , i put the same springs as i took off .. The ones i took off had 3 white lines with 1 yellow line .. installed same indenitical ones . I will check into bushings but cannot figure out wtf is up .. cost me $200 to install 2 front springs . but $353 after parts n labor /.. fugg that for two fkn springs installed .. Now for sure im gonna buy the spring compressor and just play with them my self till i get the right stance i want .. I used the same spring pads as they were only couple yrs old and didnt look masshed up or worn out . should of figured the new springs will make the front sit up higher then the rear with old springs and got lower pads for front but was eager to fix my spring .Now if i wanted to change out to even lower pads i will still have to pay same amount of labor becuase you still have to remove the springs to install new pads . Also does anyone know how hard the rear springs are to remove ? does anything have to be takin apart except the rim n tire .

btw when going to dealer parts desk . the guys arnt to bright .. did the points value things and came out with wrog part number ended up selling me
210-321-30-04 front coil .... which was wrong and had like a green and blue line ..

the one taken off with 3 white lines and one yellow
210-321-22-04
kinda bull**** if you ask me but ohh well gonna order pads all around and rear springs and just have em swapped out .. If that dont fix it i will sell the car ..lol

Last edited by MBFLO; 06-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 PM

86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
There are a few mercedes spring compressor on ebay for around $200. You should have done the front springs yourself. These compresor works just like the video and is very easy to take the fronts out. I would put the car on jack stands and pop the two front wheels out and take the two springs out and swap the current shims with the smaller ones. Also check the arms and bushing while you have the car on stands. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by snooozie
There are a few mercedes spring compressor on ebay for around $200. You should have done the front springs yourself. These compresor works just like the video and is very easy to take the fronts out. I would put the car on jack stands and pop the two front wheels out and take the two springs out and swap the current shims with the smaller ones. Also check the arms and bushing while you have the car on stands. Good luck!

thanks snooz!!!
what does it consist to take the rears off .. Will i have to loosen anything else ..
Old 06-18-2011, 08:11 PM

The rear is lower but again, get the spring compressor that said mercedes and you will not have problems. The rears are just lower so you will have to adjust the compressor bolt shorter and the two plales closer. Same procedure but a little tighter space to play with. Use a regular socket ranch just like the video.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so after having anothe indi check out my ride still cannot come up with any solution as to why my driver side sit lower then my passenger . says that maybe one of he springs was taller then other but this was the reason i took it in and got new springs from the get go .. also i didnt check which spring pads where installed from previous owner but is there anyways he could have seated wrong when installing on spring to make the one side stick up higher . anyways im thinking the side that is lower maybe install a differnt spring pad with a thicker shim or the passenger side which is sitting higher install a pad with lower shim ..
anyhow im thinkin that even if i swap out the pads they will still not sit even with the rear .
So now im thinkin swap out the rears put them on lowest shims and have the front shim pads swapped out for the lowest setting and if driver side still sit lower then rest maybe put a thicker pad .. but still wont solve the issue
what u guys thinks , btw think i totally jacked op's thread ..my bad ..
Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
so after having anothe indi check out my ride still cannot come up with any solution as to why my driver side sit lower then my passenger . says that maybe one of he springs was taller then other but this was the reason i took it in and got new springs from the get go .. also i didnt check which spring pads where installed from previous owner but is there anyways he could have seated wrong when installing on spring to make the one side stick up higher . anyways im thinking the side that is lower maybe install a differnt spring pad with a thicker shim or the passenger side which is sitting higher install a pad with lower shim ..
anyhow im thinkin that even if i swap out the pads they will still not sit even with the rear .
So now im thinkin swap out the rears put them on lowest shims and have the front shim pads swapped out for the lowest setting and if driver side still sit lower then rest maybe put a thicker pad .. but still wont solve the issue
what u guys thinks , btw think i totally jacked op's thread ..my bad ..
have you confirmed you are using the same size spring pad on both sides?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
have you confirmed you are using the same size spring pad on both sides?

as far as i know they are the same on each side .. before the driver side spring broke a coil they were dead even stance each side .. then used the same spring pads as they were only couple yrs old on the new springs . as per my indi he said the pads looked good but i didnt check with my own eyes to see if they were same sizes so he put them back on . but when he brang the car back out front the passenger side still seemed higher then driver side even though springs where identical . He was like it could be uneven surface but still everywhere i go i look at it and same , pass-side seems to sit higher not by much between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. Is it possible one of the OEM springs same part number and marked lines 3 white 1 yellow , could be taller then the other .

My only thing i can think now is to replace the rears as they are much lower maybe 1inch or 1 1/2 inch lower then front . ride feels off , doesnt feel like my ride use to . But im going to order the rear oem springs and #2 pads and a set of # 1 pads for the front and have the front pads swapped when i get the rear springs and pads changed out . Just sucks that im gonna have to pay for labor for front springs again .. Was going to order the compressor but i dont really have the time or a garage so gotta eat the cost this time . FML should of just went with H&R's hopefully once new springs and swap out pads does it . Or else im selling this BlTCH lol j/k
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

as far as i know they are the same on each side .. before the driver side spring broke a coil they were dead even stance each side .. then used the same spring pads as they were only couple yrs old on the new springs . as per my indi he said the pads looked good but i didnt check with my own eyes to see if they were same sizes so he put them back on . but when he brang the car back out front the passenger side still seemed higher then driver side even though springs where identical . He was like it could be uneven surface but still everywhere i go i look at it and same , pass-side seems to sit higher not by much between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. Is it possible one of the OEM springs same part number and marked lines 3 white 1 yellow , could be taller then the other .

My only thing i can think now is to replace the rears as they are much lower maybe 1inch or 1 1/2 inch lower then front . ride feels off , doesnt feel like my ride use to . But im going to order the rear oem springs and #2 pads and a set of # 1 pads for the front and have the front pads swapped when i get the rear springs and pads changed out . Just sucks that im gonna have to pay for labor for front springs again .. Was going to order the compressor but i dont really have the time or a garage so gotta eat the cost this time . FML should of just went with H&R's hopefully once new springs and swap out pads does it . Or else im selling this BlTCH lol j/k
I'm wondering if the pads were installed incorrectly, example:

front pads = #4
rear pads = #5

if both of the front pads were installed on the drivers side (front and rear) and both of the rears were installed on the passenger side (front and rear) you would have a stance like you are describing.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

possibly , but i didnt touch the rears yet . only thing was 2 new front springs . and used pads . previous owner claimed the springs were stock and pads where changed out all around to give it a lower look when shocks where done .. i dont know which number pads are on front or rear . only thing thats been changed were the two front springs so impossible for rears to have any play
Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 E55
I don't understand how you expected to make the car lower with OEM springs....if that was your intention I must be missing something. Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mfletch69
I don't understand how you expected to make the car lower with OEM springs....if that was your intention I must be missing something. Good Luck.
it wasnt my intention to lower it .. but before i swapped the front springs out my car was sitting low on the oem springs with just the spring pads changed out , infact anyone that seen it asked if i lowered it . my rears as of now sits just over the tread mark of the tire .. thats pretty low for oem springs while my front i can see almost half of the top of the tire through the wheel well
Old 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so I just left the mb dealer swear never seen buncha jackasses in my life. anyhow just got a set of rear springs and took them 20 min just to get that values with thr damn points system. so now I gotta adk anyone who replace their oem rear springs do you happen to remember the part numer or color marking on spring. the dealer parts guy came up with a 44 point value.
part# 210 324 33 04
also said the e55 comes with #1 spring pad on the rear
anyone know what thr spring pads come stock front n rear
Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13' E550, 14' Ram, 99' E39 wagon
Originally Posted by snooozie
The rear is lower but again, get the spring compressor that said mercedes and you will not have problems. The rears are just lower so you will have to adjust the compressor bolt shorter and the two plales closer. Same procedure but a little tighter space to play with. Use a regular socket ranch just like the video.
Snoozie, I tried removing the rears with the compressor and couldn't get it to work, there wasn't enough "screw" to compress them fully to come off.
Any tricks? I tried numerous positions of the plates but no good.

Sorry to jack thread...
Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so I just left the mb dealer swear never seen buncha jackasses in my life. anyhow just got a set of rear springs and took them 20 min just to get that values with thr damn points system. so now I gotta adk anyone who replace their oem rear springs do you happen to remember the part numer or color marking on spring. the dealer parts guy came up with a 44 point value.
part# 210 324 33 04
also said the e55 comes with #1 spring pad on the rear
anyone know what thr spring pads come stock front n rear

What is this point system you are talking about???
Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

its basicly how they figurr out which part goes to ur car

btw nico when u takr ur rear springs out if they oem can u tell me which color markings are on it thankss
Old 06-24-2011, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

so do you guys recomment going one number higher for spring pads in the rear or should i like #2 for rear and #1 for front or just go #1 all around ?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
its basicly how they figurr out which part goes to ur car

btw nico when u takr ur rear springs out if they oem can u tell me which color markings are on it thankss
I'm going to be swapping out my stock springs for some H&R's next weekend.

Shoot me a PM and I'll let you know what mine are. I'll probably forget if you don't remind me or I don't post this in here.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

can decide which pads to get #1 allround or 1 in front and 2 in rear .. help me decide
Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 W210 E55
Originally Posted by nicobaires
Snoozie, I tried removing the rears with the compressor and couldn't get it to work, there wasn't enough "screw" to compress them fully to come off.
Any tricks? I tried numerous positions of the plates but no good.

Sorry to jack thread...
you dont need the compressor to take out the rear springs easiest way to do it is dropping the control arm
Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 AM

can decide which pads to get #1 allround or 1 in front and 2 in rear .. help me decide
You could do #1 all round...or #1 @ the rear and #2 in the front bec the front is heavier then the rear due to the weight of the engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: lowering springs??