Sponsored by:

Steering wheel removal question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 e55
Steering wheel removal question

I just had my steering wheel re moved and battery disconnected to change the turn signal stalk on my 1999 e55. When everything was connected back together and the engine started the SRS light came on and stayed on. Everything else seems to be resetting itself fine.

I had my mechanic take a look and his comment was that the car/srs needs to be re-programmed and he will have the tool within a week to do it and come back then.

Does this make sense . Is it correct?

Any help/comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:13 PM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Yes. SRS is for the airbag system, also for seat belt pretensioners, etc. Common problem when dealing with the steering wheel, doors, passenger seat, etc.

It usually happens when you forget to connect something and then turn the ignition key. Also happens often with the passenger seat sensor because the wires break internally.

I had mine set off because I accidentally unhooked one of the rear door bags when I was fixing one of my rear window regulators. 10 minute fix with a visit to the local indy shop (and $35 charge of course). It requires STAR diagnostics on the newer cars. Not sure about the 99 version.

There is a chance that your mechanic left something disconnected or a connector/wire was damaged in the process. AFIK, the light shouldn't just come on unless there was a failure of some sort when the key was turned.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Try turning the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times with the engine running. When I swapped the steering wheel on my 2001 I got the SRS light and also when I dynoed the car it came on. Both times this took care of it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 AM

2001 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by suicidal4life
Try turning the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times with the engine running. When I swapped the steering wheel on my 2001 I got the SRS light and also when I dynoed the car it came on. Both times this took care of it.
Are you sure you are not thinking of the ESP light? That is for traction /stability control and the sensors in the steering rack need to be reset at times; hence the need for moving the wheel lock to lock.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
Originally Posted by billbillw
Are you sure you are not thinking of the ESP light? That is for traction /stability control and the sensors in the steering rack need to be reset at times; hence the need for moving the wheel lock to lock.
You might be right. I just remember the dash looking like a Christmas tree.