Sponsored by:

One front tire worn on the outside.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG, '85 500 SEL
One front tire worn on the outside.

Ok, i've had my E55 now for close to a year. I've done about 8000 miles in it.
When I bought it the tires were pretty shot so I put on a full set of Eagle F1's and had a wheel alignment at what I thought to be a decent shop. They said I had a little too much negative camber on both of the fronts, but the rest was good.

Anyway, I've noticed now that my front passenger side tire is badly worn on the outside edge. Drivers side is pretty even, as are the rears. When cornering on full or close to full lock with that tire on the outside, I have noticed the problem tire 'jumping'. I don't know if it's only just started happening though or if it's taken me this long to notice it.

What might cause this? I put on two new bottom wishbones, Mercedes camber bolts, ball joints, upper arms, sway bar links and bushes and bilstein shocks before I had the alignment done. The only parts not changed were the track rods/ends because they felt fine.

I've just been out there and shaken the hell out of the wheel and cannot feel any play in the joints.

If there was too much toe in, I would have expected both of the front wheels to have bad outside wear, not just one.

The car is slightly lowered, and both of the front springs look in tact and have the same thickness pads.

I'd like to try to get to the bottom of this problem, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Think about your driving habbits, do you find yourself making more left turns then right?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
How's your tire pressure?

My left front tire is shot due to having a slow leak at the valve stem and running with it low too often.