W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
spark plug wires

I finally got my AMS headers put in yesterday. (I'll give an update about it on the old kleemann vs AMS headers topic). My mechanic told me that my plug wires are kind of dried rotted. He change one of them as the copper was showing....my question is....how hard is it to change the plug wires myself?? Is there a DIY writeup on it? Let me know as I would like to get all the wires change as soon as possible.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 E55 AMG Obsidian Black with Charcoal
Easy to do. You really dont need a DIY guidance.
But there are one or two available. The 17 mm tool is a great asset.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM

86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Originally Posted by cudaized
Easy to do. You really dont need a DIY guidance.
But there are one or two available. The 17 mm tool is a great asset.
Can you eleborate more and do you have a link? I don't think its such a hard project but definately would like to see how to pull one of the wires out without damaging anything.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by snooozie
Can you eleborate more and do you have a link? I don't think its such a hard project but definately would like to see how to pull one of the wires out without damaging anything.
Just did it two weeks ago. I have a word document that I pulled together. It consists of 2 or 3 different DIY's and I'll mail it to you if you PM me a good address.

If you plan to put OEM wires back on, and also use them the next time wires need changing, then the 17mm boot puller may be a good idea. If you decide (as I did) to go with magnecor wires (which I actually found cheaper than the stock set), then the 17mm tool will be used once and then becomes a dust collector. I was able (by removing the coil packs) to use a standard 17mm open ended wrench to remove a couple of them without breaking any plugs (strong finger underneath the boot to apply back pressure as you pull). I won't say it was easy. I think the boot tool is most useful if you're changing plugs without changing wires. Obviously, if you are replacing the wires, it doesn't matter if the old ones get a bit damaged so you can also use a carefully adjusted pair of needle nose vise grip or small snub nosed vise grip pliers to pull them (pull the passenger side wire closest to the radiator with a regular 17mm open wrench and use it to adjust your vise grips to pull the rest..just enough to firmly grab the metal boot). Driver side closest to the firewall is a ***** regardless. The whole driver side is tight and that's where knuckles are busted. May want to consider an air filter change and MAF sensor replacement (if it hasn't been done) while everything is off the top of the motor. Remember there are 16 freaking plugs! My total was around $270-$280 ($100+ for plugs / $170+ for wires)

If you want to use Magnecor's, read on: I really like the Magnecor wires (and they are RED!). They are now labeling all wire sets, so there is no need to record or lay out your wires ahead of time...just make sure you leave them bundled with their labels until ready to put them on. Putting them on is a pain! Once you're at that point your hands and wrists will already hate you and getting these wires to grab will test your resolve.

My advice: 1) remove engine cover, air box, snorkels and coil packs 2) remove all old wires. 3) remove and replace one plug at a time [r&r 1, r&r2, r&r3, etc...] 4) go have lunch..go to a movie...go to a wrist massage therapist...bandage your knuckles 5) Install magnecor wires on passenger side 6) Go to bed 7) wake refreshed and go curse the driver side wires into place.

I was able to get 15 of them on with will power. It took a tiny drop of joy dish soap, VERY lightly smudged about half way up the black rubber boot, to get that driver side firewall plug wire to grab. It's a good idea to use the passenger side plug/wire closest to the radiator as a test subject. Get the Magnecor to seat on that one and then tug it to see how much resistance it has when it's seated. This will help you determine more quickly when the others have grabbed or not.

I just put some pictures of the magnecors in my barn album.

Good luck!

Last edited by freedspeak; 04-27-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 PM

[quote=freedspeak;5167611]Just did it two weeks ago. I have a word document that I pulled together. It consists of 2 or 3 different DIY's and I'll mail it to you if you PM me a good address.

Here is my email wongjam21@yahoo.com, please send me the word doc. I think i will go with the magnecor wires like you said. Where did you buy yours? I saw some good prices at autohausaz.com.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:07 AM

2001 E55 AMG
I think i will go with the magnecor wires like you said. Where did you buy yours? I saw some good prices at autohausaz.com.
As far as I know, you can't get magnecor @ autohaus. They sell the Karlyn OEM equivalent set for about the same price as the magnecors.

DISREGARD: I got my (beru) plugs here:
DISREGARD: http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Number/Spark-Plug-Bosch-FR-8-DPP-33-plus--%287422%29-Beru-14-F-8-DPURX02-__004159190326_BER_D4A8868E.aspx

DISREGARD: My understanding is that these are the closest thing to the stock plugs that came in our cars)

!!PLUG UPDATE!!

The BERU plugs mentioned above are "Non resistor" but the E55 came with "Resistor" type plugs. I think the Bosch 7422 Resistor type plug is the MB recommended replacement and I am planning to change mine out. Please do your own plug research.

!!PLUG UPDATE!!

I think the actual stock wires for our cars (Bremi) can be found here (top of page / but are more expensive than the magnecors):

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._wire_set.html

I got my magnecor wire set here:

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/Magn..._mercedes.html

(you want the set listed under "8 cylinder -> 85240 -> 2005-1998 4.3, 5.0, 5.4, 5.5 - M113 V8 engines" - $169.43)

You must use IE browser to order. They look short and you will not think they are going to fit until you put them on....and they do.

I'll dig up the DIY and send it to you asap.

Last edited by freedspeak; 04-30-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by freedspeak
As far as I know, you can't get magnecor @ autohaus. They sell the Karlyn OEM equivalent set for about the same price as the magnecors.

I got my (beru) plugs here:

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._D4A8868E.aspx

My understanding is that these are the closest thing to the stock plugs that came in our cars)

I think the actual stock wires for our cars (Bremi) can be found here (top of page / but are more expensive than the magnecors):

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._wire_set.html

I got my magnecor wire set here:

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/Magn..._mercedes.html

(you want the set listed under "8 cylinder -> 85240 -> 2005-1998 4.3, 5.0, 5.4, 5.5 - M113 V8 engines" - $169.43)

You must use IE browser to order. They look short and you will not think they are going to fit until you put them on....and they do.

I'll dig up the DIY and send it to you asap.
Thank you very much for the write up. It looks pretty easy. I just need to get all my tools and wires and plugs together before I even attempt to start. I think I am going to buy the wire removing tool as it will save me the trouble...god forbid, I break a plug while trying to pull the wire out. I'm saving a few hundred bucks already by doing this myself

I will definately go with the Magnecor wires and the beru plugs. Will keep you inform when I change them...in a couple of weeks....

Just saw the magnecor wires....I dig the red color

Last edited by snooozie; 04-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:34 PM

2001 E55 AMG
I'm saving a few hundred bucks already by doing this myself
I think the quote I saw from my local dealer was $780 to change plugs + wires. Obviously you can get it done a little cheaper at an indie, but I would say you're saving at least a few hundred bucks. No doubt the boot puller will make the removal easier, and you may find another use for a 17mm offset wrench elsewhere, so go for it.

Just saw the magnecor wires....I dig the red color
Are you referring to the picture in my album? Looks even better all buttoned up with the covers back on. I'm very happy with them so far. With there being so many of them, it does dress up the motor quite a bit. I saw some pretty convincing testimony through the research I did, which is why I bought them. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM

I think the quote I saw from my local dealer was $780 to change plugs + wires. Obviously you can get it done a little cheaper at an indie, but I would say you're saving at least a few hundred bucks.

Are you referring to the picture in my album? Looks even better all buttoned up with the covers back on. I'm very happy with them so far. With there being so many of them, it does dress up the motor quite a bit. I saw some pretty convincing testimony through the research I did, which is why I bought them. Good luck.

I would imagine my mechanic would charge at the bare minimum 2 hour job for the 16 wires and plugs which is why I came up with the $200 ($100 per hour including tax). It might be more then that.

Yes, I saw the barn picture of the red wires and I really like them.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 PM

2001 E55 AMG
FYI

FYI

The difficulty in placing the magnecor wires is not getting the connector to catch it's target. The issue is that the boots are so tight to the outside of the plug hole bore in the block, plus the "sticky" nature of the boot itself, that they have to be man handled or VERY lightly lubed. I didn't feel that (literally) a half drop of joy dish soap, on the OUTSIDE of 1 boot, would hurt as it probably burned off in about .4 seconds. There may be a better (water based) lube for this if you wish to research, but I didn't feel like going on an adventure in the middle of my change out. I would encourage just struggling with them and only using the most minimal amount of lube possible once you've exhausted the dry effort.

FYI

Last edited by freedspeak; 04-28-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 AM

FYI

The difficulty in placing the magnecor wires is not getting the connector to catch it's target. The issue is that the boots are so tight to the outside of the plug hole bore in the block, plus the "sticky" nature of the boot itself, that they have to be man handled or VERY lightly lubed. I didn't feel that (literally) a half drop of joy dish soap, on the OUTSIDE of 1 boot, would hurt as it probably burned off in about .4 seconds. There may be a better (water based) lube for this if you wish to research, but I didn't feel like going on an adventure in the middle of my change out. I would encourage just struggling with them and only using the most minimal amount of lube possible once you've exhausted the dry effort.

FYI
I think Joy dishwashing soap is probably the most convenient, cheapest and non abrassive way of lubricating to get the plugs to 'click' into the wire head.

BTW, did you use a torque wrench to install the plugs. I am thinking of getting one of them as these wrenches come in handy. Also, did you use a thin wall socket for the plugs or just a regular long socket. I saw a swivel head socket made to fit in tight spaces on ebay.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:47 PM

2001 E55 AMG
I think Joy dishwashing soap is probably the most convenient, cheapest and non abrassive way of lubricating to get the plugs to 'click' into the wire head.

BTW, did you use a torque wrench to install the plugs. I am thinking of getting one of them as these wrenches come in handy. Also, did you use a thin wall socket for the plugs or just a regular long socket. I saw a swivel head socket made to fit in tight spaces on ebay.

There really is no "click" with the magnecors. That's why I said to use the "easy" wire as a test case. The only real way to tell if they seated is to tug on them pretty hard. After about 10 of them you can sort of feel them seat. Use the easy wire to set your tug meter.

I used a torque wrench. From what I read, it should be set between 25-28Nm, which (I THINK) is around 240 inch pounds...but don't rely on my memory, look up the stats and find a Nm to inch pound or foot pound calculator online, and do your own math.

This is straight from ALLDATAdiy (ignore 2.1-for the non AMG cars..but do cover the MAF with a clean cloth and rubber band if you don't have a cap):

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DANGER:
  • Risk of death. Death may result if contact is made with parts carrying high voltages.
  • Do not touch parts carrying high voltages.
  • Persons who wear electronic implants (e.g. heart pacemakers) must not carry out work on the ignition system.
1.1 Remove top part of air cleaner housing NOTE: Only on engines with air cleaner fitted at vehicle side.

2.1 Remove hot film mass air flow sensor together with air intake pipe, install NOTE: Only on engines with air cleaner fitted at vehicle side.

3 Remove engine trim panel or cleaner NOTE: Remove engine cover or air cleaner by lifting vertically up and off the cylinder head covers.

4 Remove ignition coils (T1/4) 5 Disconnect spark plug connectors NOTE: Pry spark plug connector off with "Double Opened Wrench" over cylinder head covers. See "Special Tools" given below.

6 Remove spark plugs (R4) See "Special Tools - Spark Plug Wrench" given below.

Spark plugs(All Engines) - 28 N.m
Spark plugs(Engine 113.987/ 990/ 991) - 25 N.m

7 Install in the reverse order Special Tools
112 589 01 09 00 (swivel socket)
110 589 01 01 00 (boot puller)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I had a basic Stanley socket set that came with 2 plug sockets and (I think it was) the 5/8 fit very snug, but I had no problems with it. Again, this is why I suggest you test fit by pulling off the "easy" wire (passenger radiator side) and try your socket. If you don't have one, then (yes) I would go with a thin wall socket to be safe. Don't forget the extensions.

Last edited by freedspeak; 04-29-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 AM

2001 E55 AMG
Exclamation IMPORTANT UPDATE

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I had a discussion with a member of the Benzworld forum (Nocturnal G) who brought my attention to an error with what I wrote above. The factory plugs that came in the facelifted E55 were RESISTOR type, NOT NON-RESISTOR TYPE AS THE BURU PLUGS MENTIONED ABOVE. The factory plugs were NGK with a big R stamped on the side. (NGK PFR5R-11 - to be exact)

While the RM European site still brings up the buru N/R plugs if you search for for W210 E55 by model, I don't feel good about them. My car seems to run fine with them, but I'm not sure if they will do any damage over time and don't feel like taking chances. I am planning to change mine out for the MB recommended Bosch 7422 plugs (or another comparable NGK plug / still researching). Please adjust your notes accordingly.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Last edited by freedspeak; 04-30-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
N/A m113s came with bosch platinums as far as I know. Later m113ks came with NGKs which used a longer thread from factory.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:03 AM

I wonder would it be easier to give the dealer a call and ask what brand and type plugs were used and is recommended by Mercedes for our cars. I would imagine that will definately for sure, the dealer would look it up and have the correct information.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 PM

2001 E55 AMG
I wonder would it be easier to give the dealer a call and ask what brand and type plugs were used and is recommended by Mercedes for our cars. I would imagine that will definately for sure, the dealer would look it up and have the correct information.
I think that's where the "Bosch 7422" information came from. I think there are a lot of folks running them, but do what makes you comfortable.

The information from the link below pertains to CLS 500 cars, but the plugs mentioned are the ones that came in our car from the factory (NGK PFR 5R-11). I checked the stack I took out of mine and that is the part number stamped in the metal band around them. They also have NGK R on one side and the MB star on the other. My car only has 63k miles and they had never been changed before.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ke-change.html

Last edited by freedspeak; 04-30-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55 AMG
I'm running Bosch 7422 and bosch OEM wires, you can get them from autohausaz or rockauto
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
I'm running Bosch 7422 and bosch OEM wires, you can get them from autohausaz or rockauto
I think I might go with the Bosch 7422 and bosch wires as they are sold at autohausaz which is a one stop shopping for me. The red magnecor is nice but after listen to freedspeak about the difficulty getting it on the plugs, I might have to go with the OEM wires. I just bought the tool for the wires on ebay tonight hence will be using that.

I might stick to the NGK (NGK PFR 5R-11) as per the original plugs used by MB for the E55. Anyway, I have a few weeks to decides.

Last edited by snooozie; 04-30-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55 AMG
I think I might go with the Bosch 7422 and bosch wires as they are sold at autohausaz which is a one stop shopping for me. The red magnecor is nice but after listen to freedspeak about the difficulty getting it on the plugs, I might have to go with the OEM wires. I just bought the tool for the wires on ebay tonight hence will be using that.

I might stick to the NGK (NGK PFR 5R-11) as per the original plugs used by MB for the E55.
autohausaz doesn't sell bosch wires. They sell Karlyn or something (which suck) You have to find it elsewhere. I ended up getting everything from rockauto.com.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
autohausaz doesn't sell bosch wires. They sell Karlyn or something (which suck) You have to find it elsewhere. I ended up getting everything from rockauto.com.
I think freakspeed has a link regarding the OEM wires on partsgeek.com. Might check that out.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:26 PM

2001 E55 AMG
I think freakspeed has a link regarding the OEM wires on partsgeek.com. Might check that out.
I thought the stock wires were Bremi or Beck, but they are indeed Bosch 2k ohlm wires.

You can find these BOSCH wires at the link below, but they don't seem to sell "sets" like the other brands. This means you will need to know the right length of each wire, and number of wires that are that length, to order a complete set. I'll be happy to measure and record each wire I took out for your reference, at a nominal fee.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wp n_cat_name:Spark+Plugs\%2C+Wires+%26+Components,wp n_scat_name:Spark+Plug+%26+Ignition+Coil+Wires%29

desired_speeds may know somewhere that sells Bosch sets, but I tried running my car model into the rockauto catalog and it came back with Denso ($$$), Beck and Standard. Prices ranged from $260-$350 for a full set!

I did not mean to turn you off of the Magnecor wires. They are upgraded wires for the same or less than stock $ (8.5mm vs 7mm and race construction vs. street). I would use them again in a split second! I exaggerated the install a little so you would not think it was a cake walk. The ones that are easy to reach are easy to get seated, the cramped ones are not. I think you will find this to be the case with any wires you put on the car. I don't think the boot "puller" will help with putting them back on. Regardless, it's your choice and good luck.

Last edited by freedspeak; 05-01-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM

2001 E55 AMG
IMPORTANT UPDATE

I had a discussion with a member of the Benzworld forum (Nocturnal G) who brought my attention to an error with what I wrote above. The factory plugs that came in the facelifted E55 were RESISTOR type, NOT NON-RESISTOR TYPE AS THE BURU PLUGS MENTIONED ABOVE. The factory plugs were NGK with a big R stamped on the side. (NGK PFR5R-11 - to be exact)

While the RM European site still brings up the buru N/R plugs if you search for for W210 E55 by model, I don't feel good about them. My car seems to run fine with them, but I'm not sure if they will do any damage over time and don't feel like taking chances. I am planning to change mine out for the MB recommended Bosch 7422 plugs (or another comparable NGK plug / still researching). Please adjust your notes accordingly.

IMPORTANT UPDATE
FINAL UPDATE!

The BERU plugs I listed are indeed "RESISTOR" type plugs and will work fine in the facelifted W210 E55. They are mis-labelled on almost every site I've visited. This was a big mix up which has been explained, to my satisfaction, by the source. If you want to know the full scoop, it's in the W210 E55 forum @ benzworld.

FINAL UPDATE!

This has cured my desire to help people change plugs
Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55 AMG
desired_speeds may know somewhere that sells Bosch sets, but I tried running my car model into the rockauto catalog and it came back with Denso ($$$), Beck and Standard. Prices ranged from $260-$350 for a full set!
Rockauto has the Bosch wires for our cars. (P/N 09850 - $179.79)

They also have OEM spark plugs that the car came with from factory (Bosch P/N FR8DPP33 - $3.84) and the updated OEM ones (Bosch P/N 7422 - $5.26)

I bought the 7422s because they ship from the same place making it cheaper than if I bought the FR8DPP33s which ship from a different warehouse.

This is the absolute cheapest I could find them for at the time. You may have to play with the two different types of spark plugs to minimize shipping costs. I checked various places when I bought mine and rockauto was the cheapest place to get everything. Don't forget to add on the rockauto 5% discount coupon code you can easily find on Google.

I did a lot of research before I bought my setup and this is the correct OEM setup to run on these cars.

Last edited by desired_speeds; 05-02-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:55 PM

IMPORTANT UPDATE

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Since the oem plugs that came in our cars were NGK, I think I am going with the NGK PFR5R-11 as my replacement plugs. Saw them on race-mart and its going for $7.36 a peice. If anyone knows any place cheaper, please let me know. As for the wires, might change to Magnecor as Chad here said they are a little thicker then the originals and probably better quality.

Last edited by snooozie; 05-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 SL55 AMG
The only thing I don't like about magnecores is that they're not metal on the outside. If the wires ever get a little corrosion on them, they will be hard to take off with the rubber casing. It may tear when you use the MB tool to pull it off. I don't doubt its a good wire, but thats just the part that throws me towards the bosch wires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: spark plug wires