Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E55 AMG
Help!!! Maintenance advice needed!!!

Hey all,

I have a 99 E55 with 66k miles

As I expressed on another thread a few days ago, my AC is not blowing cold air (sticky EC light) and after taking it to several mechanics, I found a reputable mechanic that told me I needed a recharge and that he would put dye in the refrigerant to check for leaks if the AC stops working again.

I paid $150 for a recharge only to find out the seal on my AC compressor is leaking. The shop told me when theres a leak, it's easier/cheaper to replace the whole compressor rather than fixing the existing one. I told them to check out the car and see if there were any other problems they thought needed fixing. So heres what was recommended, and I was hoping to get some help from you guys to determine whats really necessary and if these are fair and reasonable prices.

All the following include parts and labor:
AC Compressor(brand new)-$840
Replace shifter bushings-$157
Replace Transmission mount- $149
Replace Rear Carrier Joints- $546
Reseal oil filter pressure port/timing case cover gasket expansion cover-$176

Do you guys think these are fair prices? What other problems have you guys had with the car that I can expect in the future?

Thanks in advanced SO MUCH for the help!!! =]
Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
I'll hop on worldpac in the morning and PM you what I can sell you the parts for.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
I think the leak from the A/C compressor comes by an overpressure discharge valve (common leak in this comp) we replace here just the valve and seals with a new one by 130$ including labor

Maybe your shop can do the same to save u some $$$ but some shops dont do that, just replace whole ac comp

Fabio Daniel
Old 07-12-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 E55 AMG, 1999 E55 AMG , Audi allroad 2.7T sold ,08 Jeep SRT8 sold, 06 TBSS Sold
Originally Posted by MB_Fahrer
I'll hop on worldpac in the morning and PM you what I can sell you the parts for.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Prices seems fair but I can't comment on the Replace Rear Carrier Joints- $546

Never had to get that done before also if push comes to shove ping Ohlord (w210 Guru) hey may have a used AC Compressor for sale no point on buying a new one, waste of money if you ask me. They usually last a long time. I bought a used transmission shifter from him and worked like new saved me a ton of cash and I did the job myself. Stay away from the cup holder

GL!

Originally Posted by E55SINGH
Hey all,

I have a 99 E55 with 66k miles

As I expressed on another thread a few days ago, my AC is not blowing cold air (sticky EC light) and after taking it to several mechanics, I found a reputable mechanic that told me I needed a recharge and that he would put dye in the refrigerant to check for leaks if the AC stops working again.

I paid $150 for a recharge only to find out the seal on my AC compressor is leaking. The shop told me when theres a leak, it's easier/cheaper to replace the whole compressor rather than fixing the existing one. I told them to check out the car and see if there were any other problems they thought needed fixing. So heres what was recommended, and I was hoping to get some help from you guys to determine whats really necessary and if these are fair and reasonable prices.

All the following include parts and labor:
AC Compressor(brand new)-$840
Replace shifter bushings-$157
Replace Transmission mount- $149
Replace Rear Carrier Joints- $546
Reseal oil filter pressure port/timing case cover gasket expansion cover-$176

Do you guys think these are fair prices? What other problems have you guys had with the car that I can expect in the future?

Thanks in advanced SO MUCH for the help!!! =]
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
shifter bushing for $157 is kinda high.