Sponsored by:

Tool Talk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Neanicu888
I can't speak for him,but you're talking about a 600$ tool!!! I have the Taiwan version,lot cheaper!!! The beauty of it...it works!!! LOL!
Taiwan quality over the years has gone up... who makes it? OTC?

And my newest additions are a MityVac 7201 and a MB/Matador oil filter wrench...

Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Nocturnal-G

And my newest additions are a MityVac 7201 and a MB/Matador oil filter wrench...

I really don't know who makes it. I've looked,but it only says it's made in Taiwan. I bought it off EBay from a specialized tool seller,but all the other companies are selling the exact same product.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320

My MityVac 7201 is one of my favorites - will be using it this weekend - works flawlessly
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Neanicu888
I really don't know who makes it. I've looked,but it only says it's made in Taiwan. I bought it off EBay from a specialized tool seller,but all the other companies are selling the exact same product.
How many times have you used it? I'll pick one up soon if I ever need it... as long as the quality is there, I'll buy it.

Originally Posted by tsquare
My MityVac 7201 is one of my favorites - will be using it this weekend - works flawlessly
How long have you had it/used it? I read about a few people having issues in the long run, from what I understand... just keep it out of the sun so the plastic doesn't turn brittle and it should be good.

Oh and have you used it for anything other than oil? It sounds really useful for power steering flushes, changing the diff fluid.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Regarding the spring compressor,I've only used the one on EBay once,more because I wanted to see how it works. I've removed the driver side springs front and rear to see which size shims my car came with. It's been almost 3 months since I've ordered my new B8s from Germany and as soon as they arrive,I'll swap the stock springs with Eibachs,so only then the tool will really be put to test.
I've used the original spring compressor tool before and if you're expecting the same quality from the EBay one,you will be disappointed! You can't even compare the quality! One disk from the original tool probably weighs about the same as the whole set from Taiwan. The disks are a lot thinner too. The good thing about that though is that they fit easier on the spring coils.
Also,another good thing about the EBay tool too is that the middle shaft,the one that compresses the 2 disks together,has a bearing at the bottom of it,so it's not metal to metal friction,which wouldn't last nearly as long.
So,the conclusion is that if you're planning to use the tool professionally,forget about the Taiwan version and go original. If you're going to use it a few times(can't tell how many),you can go Taiwan.
And then there's the price : 600$ compared to about 180$!
Hope this helps in making a decision.
Cheers!

Last edited by Neanicu888; 10-17-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
How many times have you used it? I'll pick one up soon if I ever need it... as long as the quality is there, I'll buy it.

How long have you had it/used it? I read about a few people having issues in the long run, from what I understand... just keep it out of the sun so the plastic doesn't turn brittle and it should be good.

Oh and have you used it for anything other than oil? It sounds really useful for power steering flushes, changing the diff fluid.
I've had my Mity Vac less than a year, after each use, I box it back up and keep in garage - so sun exposure is not an issue. It feels well constructed, I expect many years of future use.