Sponsored by:

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55
Brake pads

Has anyone tried EBC red stuff brake pads on their E55. They are supposed to offer low dust and great initial bite from cold. Plus at $90 a set they seem like good value.
I have tried the originals - great stopping power but so dusty. I tried akebono euro - low dusting but poor initial bite and prone to fading. Now I have Mintex - reasonable bite but tend to glaze and pull a little plus dust like originals.
Any other recommendations. ?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG
Try Porterfield RS-4 pads or StopTech brake pads... I'm not too happy with my Akebono pads but they seem to have lasted me forever! I changed my pads and rotors at 65k miles and I'm at 101k now... And they are still good. I do stops from 140-150 to 80-70 often too. The frozen rotors I have we're pricey but they work well it seems. I'll be switching over to a dusty pad after these Akebonos are done.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
Funny you mention fade with the Akebono Euro's. I noticed the same thing during some quite "spirited" driving this last weekend. I'll make a thread about it when I have some time.

You might give ATE blue fluid or Motul RBF 600 (or 660) a shot. I'm running the 660 with great results. More on that after I get back from the track.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
Originally Posted by MB_Fahrer
Funny you mention fade with the Akebono Euro's. I noticed the same thing during some quite "spirited" driving this last weekend. I'll make a thread about it when I have some time.

You might give ATE blue fluid or Motul RBF 600 (or 660) a shot. I'm running the 660 with great results. More on that after I get back from the track.
1+ on RBF660

What about the frozen rotors?

Fabio Daniel
Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
EBC red stuff dust quite a bit to be honest...almost equivalent to the oem ones I had...

plus they take FOREVER to break in!!!! they say up to 1500 miles and they can possibly squeal like some dieing animal when breaking in...i do not recommend!

But then again i did love my akebono's on my c230k, but i never would use them to race or anything, i would never do that with ceramics and would expect almost any ceramic to "fade" to be honest...I've heard some good things about this italian company and I've noticed MB has a new no-dust pad that I wonder if anyones tried out
Old 09-29-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55
Pads

Some very interesting comments about brake pads. I had heard good things about the Porter field RS 4 pads also so I may give those a try. Good point also about the brake fluid recommendations. Mine could be overdue for for a change and have boiled it at least five times and it has not been changed in 18 months at least.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Where to start? The Italians or the Germans?
Mufc,

The Motul RBF660 fluid shouldn't boil. If you can boil it, then I'd say you might try turning down your braking style. In other words, it's great. It has a very high boiling point. The only thing with a higher boiling point is Prospeed 683, and it's really only suited for track usage as it's very expensive. The Motul is the next best thing. With the Motul, you'll need to bleed your brakes about once a year, as it does absorb water slightly faster than other fluids with lower boiling points. Also with the Motul, If you let the car sit over the winter, you'll also want to bleed the brakes before driving it in the spring.