Sponsored by:

2000 e55 eps/bas and srs lights on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
2000 e55 eps/bas and srs lights on

ok if anyone can help with it would be much appreciated I just bought this beautiful car but it has a beast inside it that’s holding her back well I been read on this forum about this problem here is a little back story on the car from what the guy told me his gf wreaked so what I see replaced is the core support the drivers fender the bumper so what I’m thinking is the srs sensor is on because of the wreak and the sensor in the fender was not replaced or bumper I don’t really know but the weird thing is when I start the car it goes all the way up to 6000 rpms then drops back down to around 1000 then if I try to drive it won’t go over 20mph and wont rev past 2000 rpms so I don’t really know what to do oh and the previous owner replaced the engine cooling fan with and electric one that you flip with a switch if anyone can sort this all out it would be great I don’t really want to take it to the dealer I just don’t have the money to spend there
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
The engine cooling fan is operated by a fan clutch. Whoever put an electric fan with a switch there didn't want to spend around 300$ for an OEM fan clutch replacement. The 2 auxiliary fans that come on with the AC and when engine gets really hot are operated by a module located in the front bumper area driver side. It gives the fans 2 or 3 speeds depending on how hot the engine gets.
The EPS/BAS SRS lights on could be your brake lights switch located in cabin by the brake pedal.
The fact that it won't rev past 2000 rpms is troubling. Can you rev it all the way up to rev limit at idle?
Old 11-19-2012, 12:31 PM

e55
no the car wont let me rev it past 2000rpm at idle or driving. The brake light switch seams to be working all the lights are on and when i hit the brakes they all light up. I'm going to find a replacement for that today anyways, just to double tap that.
So the module is it located on the metal bumper?
He has the OEM fan in the trunk.
Oh yeah that's right he told me he replaced the radiator with a bigger one from a different year.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:01 PM

Ok,let's take this step by step. The module I'm talking about controls the 2 auxiliary fans located in front of the car,on the outside of the engine bay. That is attached to the frame behind the front bumper on the driver side and can be accessed from the bottom,in front of the wheel thru the factory made hole in the plastic shield. Those only come on when the AC is on and when the engine gets really hot and the engine bay fan can't keep up. I thought from the beginning you're referring to the engine bay single fan,which in your car is electric because it's been changed by the previous owner. That single engine bay fan comes from the factory with a fan clutch that controls it.
Describe exactly what happens when the engine speed gets to 2000 rpms. Does it drop back at idle and then picks up again until reaches 2000? Do you experience a situation like fuel cut off that happens from factory when you reach the rev limiter?
Also,do you hear any weird noises like clunking and such from the engine when revving?

Last edited by Neanicu888; 11-19-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
I agree with the brake light switch being the cause of the ESP/BAS lights. My car did the same thing and the switch fixed it. I think it was around $30-$35 for a new switch at my local dealer.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 AM

e55
I haven't got the time to look for the other fans im pretty sure there still there he only said he replaced the radiator with a bigger one and put an electric fan in the place of the factory so with the rpm so i start the car it revs to 4000 rpm then goes back down to around 1000 then if i try to rev it in park or neutral it will only go up to about 2000 rpm i tried to see if it would rev in drive and in reverse it wont even rev it just stays at around 1000 now its says there is something wrong with the eps in the little spot were you can see your mileage and stuff now the weird part is it says there is a light out and i looked all the lights and they are working i put new bulb in one because it looked dim but fine now so i called the Mercedes dealer they said it in some kinda of limp home mode now it it was how could i get it out of that with out taking it to a dealer do you think that the lateral acceleration sensor can have anything to do with this? the dealer also said something about a turn sensor oh yea went to try to get the brake switch today and the store that said they had it couldn't find it so going to try again tomorrow no i don't hear any clunking or anything its not staying at a content idle now going up and down just a little bit but the gas is kinda low it only has about 2 gals in it so its sucking from the bottom of the gas tank i know its not the best for her i going to get some more gas soon
Old 11-20-2012, 07:23 AM

Which State do you live in? If you can find someone here with a DAS diagnostic system it would help a lot. Anyway,I'm wondering if you have any fuel pressure with no gas in it. I would put some gas in it and if you can find a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel pressure at the fuel rail while running. You should have at least 55-60 psi.
Don't worry about the lights,fan and other little things right now,you need to concentrate on the important stuff.
Good luck and let us know the outcome!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
This is a long shot, but have you spilled any liquids on the center console? Funny stuff can happen if the electronics down there get wet.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM

e55
Originally Posted by Neanicu888
Which State do you live in? If you can find someone here with a DAS diagnostic system it would help a lot. Anyway,I'm wondering if you have any fuel pressure with no gas in it. I would put some gas in it and if you can find a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel pressure at the fuel rail while running. You should have at least 55-60 psi.
Don't worry about the lights,fan and other little things right now,you need to concentrate on the important stuff.
Good luck and let us know the outcome!

I live in Hawaii I found a buddy that has a
Mac, scanalizer. I will see what I can get so I can monitor the fuel rails I get more fuel in it today well the only thing I want Is the car to drive but I just have to see what's wrong with her first thanks for all the help
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
SRS light..

is very often the crash sensor on a 210.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cyphermike2005
I live in Hawaii I found a buddy that has a
Mac, scanalizer. I will see what I can get so I can monitor the fuel rails I get more fuel in it today well the only thing I want Is the car to drive but I just have to see what's wrong with her first thanks for all the help
Using a regular scanner,may it be Mac,SnapOn etc won't help at all! Those are good only to read OBD2 codes. You need a Mercedes DAS STAR diagnostic tool,like the one the dealer uses.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 AM

e55
so yeah have not had the time to do anything yet thanksgiving is tomorrow and gotta do family things so i will get right back to it after the holidays thanks i will keep everyone updated thanks again for all the help oh does anyone know where i can get parts for this car with you giving an arm and a leg
Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 AM

e55
ok update talked to the dealer and what he is telling me is that the eps/bas is being turned on from the srs module that its stuck in some kinda of limp home mode so i took the console apart took the module out but he also told me i have to get the same maker so if bosh makes the module then i have to get the same sensors to match up i am going to try this i found some for cheap so also took the front end apart found that there is only one fan just the fan the guy put because i kept trying to get the ac to turn on he said the fuses were bad so i look at every fuse in the car and there all there and i already had the whole console out so why not take the ac unit out they weren't hooked up so i hooked them up nothing works on they lights up says low but none of the buttons work probably has something to do with there are no fans for the ac in the front all i see the condenser the radiator fan for the engine but no other fans so looking to replace all that put it back to stock but what i seen he cut off the old fan i don't know where it went but i have it in the trunk oh now for some reason the abs light came on to this poor car no one loved it for a while