Sponsored by:

Trans fluid changed today..........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
08 GL320 CDI
Trans fluid changed today..........

used the flush write up from the other site, very easy, the only difference on the E55 from the write up is where we have to connect the clear tubing. I used a ten foot piece and brought it out next to the drivers door and pumped three quarts at a time int a graduated bucket I have for such things.

As noted with other maintenance items on this car the trans fluid looked as though it had been changed within 20,000 miles(just a WAG on my part) as it was only a darker red than the new I installed. This car was very well maintained by the previous owner/owners.

While I was under there I put in a new Filter, shifter bushing and trans connector plug which someone had already replaced, I put the new one in anyway. No evidence of fluid in the connector or the cable.

Car and I both very happy.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
Which fluid did you use and how many quarts did you use in the flush and fill? I would like to do this flush too. Thanks for letting us know. It's the best way to do it as it gets the torque converter too.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:48 PM

08 GL320 CDI
Hi Schweinhund,
I used Valvoline Max Life, I bought 18 quarts and ended up using 14 plus once I saw the fluid coming from the trans turn bright red in the hose and topped off. I found changing the fluid this way is really easy once I was sure which line to disconnect and connect the clear tubing to.

On another note I bought one of those mighty vac (I think that was the brand) vacuum oil changer that will hold 9 quarts, I never used one before, and , I have to say I will never change oil any other way, what a gentleman's way to do an oil change. Great gadget. I can pull the oil out of the engine and then pump it into my used oil storage cans.

I just finished changing the Differential lube, used Valvoline 75w-90 synthetic. I now have all fluids except anti freeze up to date so I now have an established base line to work from for future maintenance.

Dan
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
Thanks Dan. I had mine changed with .14 Mercedes fluid but it wasn't a flush, it was a pan drop and a cooler and line drain and repeating the cooler and line drain a couple of times after running. While it did use nine quarts, it's not nearly as thorough as a running pump flush. I will aim to do this next year with fresh fluid.

Did you go through the selector positions as well when you flushed?

I also did my rear axle with Mobil 1 synth.

As far as the coolant, I recommend the Mercedes OEM concentrate. This fluid requires almost no changing and with the aluminum and seals used to the Merc fluid, I thought not changing the formula would be best. Its' not much more anyway. Our E55 systems only need one gallon of the 50:50 mix concentrate anyway (Paid $14 at Mercedes) to make two gallons.

Lastly, I am going to do my power steering fluid next year. Probably with the bulb-drawout method and going through the steering range. Not sure what fluid to use though.

Last edited by Schweinhund; 12-14-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:19 PM

08 GL320 CDI
Your welcome, yea I agree with using Mercedes coolant, I have a gallon from when I did the water pump on my E300. As for the power steering fluid I have the Mercedes version of that as well which again I used on the 300. Someone already did the power steering fluid on the E55. I did put the car in reverse to drive a couple of times but did so after the flush.

Today I spent the morning thru the afternoon with the orbital buffer polishing the car than waxing it, that's when I find all the little imperfections in the finish, all the usual suspects, rock chips etc.etc. She's lookin real nice now.

Dan