New Owner w/ concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
New Owner w/ concerns

Damn, Damn, Damn.....

So I recently purchased a 2001 e55. I was reading all the checks on maintenance and what to look for when purchasing a new e55. Well some how I read the info incorrectly regarding the cap on the transmission fill tube cap. I thought black meant it has been checked or serviced.

So now I realize my 2001 e55 with 115k on it has the original black cap. I plan to get tranny serviced ASAP on Monday. My question is when is the first tranny fluid change suppose to be performed? Am I screwed? Tranny seems to shift fine and car runs great.

Thank you
Old 05-31-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG 2002 E55, 1997 E320
Originally Posted by bkims145
Damn, Damn, Damn.....

So I recently purchased a 2001 e55. I was reading all the checks on maintenance and what to look for when purchasing a new e55. Well some how I read the info incorrectly regarding the cap on the transmission fill tube cap. I thought black meant it has been checked or serviced.

So now I realize my 2001 e55 with 115k on it has the original black cap. I plan to get tranny serviced ASAP on Monday. My question is when is the first tranny fluid change suppose to be performed? Am I screwed? Tranny seems to shift fine and car runs great.

Thank you
These transmissions were originally built to be a sealed unit and never serviced? But this is not recommended by anyone with any car sense. The ideal is to have the fluid changed every 30k miles. But it is important to know that these transmissions are very robust, and are built to handle much more torque then our E55 motors put out. So I would say, get the transmission fluid flushed at the dealer and don't worry. Go out and have fun with your car - the drive train in these cars are built to last.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Thanks for the reassuring advice. I did check the fluid is does not smell burnt but is not red either, So it needs to be taken care of. Thanks for the reply