Sponsored by:

w210 e55 rear deck speakers replaced w/o seat removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, 2001 Silver.
w210 e55 rear deck speakers replaced w/o seat removal

Just replaced the rear deck bose speakers with Infinity speakers. After reading the official procedure for replacing the rear deck speakers (remove seat, seat back, headrests, c-pillar trim, brakelamp, rear shade, rear deck). I decided to see if I could replace the speakers through the Bose grill. The downside is that you may have to make 2-3 holes in the deck to get to the screws, but for me, that was a better option than taking everything apart and putting it together. In one of my searches someone had mentioned that it is possible to get the speakers out through the grill cavity.

1. The grills snap off. I used two flat blade screwdrivers (a small putty knife might be even better). A small one to pry up the front of the grill to make room for the large flat one to pry up enough to release one of the clips (see picture of grill with clips) Once one clip is released, you can use your fingers to slowly clip the rest off and work your way around. It takes a bit of force to snap them off.

2. Now you will see the speaker behind the grill. It is secured by three screws and one alignment tab. If you're lucky you will be able to get to two of the screws (see picture) easily. Use a short torx screwdriver to undo the screws you can reach. For the one behind the deck, using a ruler measure the place under the deck to find the screw, make a hole in the deck and undo the third torx screw.

3. The speaker can now be released, you need to do a bit of maneuvering to get it out of the cavity. Unclip the wires, attach to new speaker and insert new speaker into cavity.

4. Reverse process. You will end up with 2-3 small holes in the deck when you are done. I used small black plastic clips (from Checker Autos) to close the holes. See picture - does not look too bad. The right speaker only had one screw behind the deck and the left had two.

Looking back, the one thing that may be possible to make this easier and cleaner would be to have some way of punching out the holes so that when you are done, you can just use sticky tape on the underside and put the punched out circle back on.
Attached Thumbnails w210 e55 rear deck speakers replaced w/o seat removal-dscn0071.jpg   w210 e55 rear deck speakers replaced w/o seat removal-dscn0072.jpg   w210 e55 rear deck speakers replaced w/o seat removal-dscn0073.jpg   w210 e55 rear deck speakers replaced w/o seat removal-dscn0074.jpg   w210 e55 rear deck speakers replaced w/o seat removal-dscn0075.jpg  

Old 08-07-2013, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
You dont need to make holes in the deck. don't remove the 3 screws to get of the speaker, just open the trunk and you can see 2 plastic tabs in the speaker frame to secure it to the shell metal. unclip it and you got of the speaker with the frame toguether. and with some maneuver you can get of the entire speaker by the cavity inside the car with the grille off you remove.

Try it mate! is possible without remove seats, pillars etc etc etc.. 10min job

hope you undestand the procedure guys

Fabio Daniel
Old 08-07-2013, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 346 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Ooh, Thankss Fabio, you reminding me about that,

i tried it with my C280, its a same theory about that clip,, when i try to remove it, its broken immed., i went to the dealer,

i found a good seller with a green hair & blue tail with one eye, he told me confidently;

[[SORRY WE DO NOT SALE A DONUTS CAKE HERE]].....

ZAYED,,
Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 AM

E55, 2001 Silver.
Fabio - thanks - this would have saved even more time. Next time, I'll use your technique.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
hahahahaha Zayed you have a bad luck this day hahaha

Fabio Daniel
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM

02 E55
How does the infinity sound if you compare it to the bose?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 346 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
Originally Posted by Fabio D
hahahahaha Zayed you have a bad luck this day hahaha

Fabio Daniel
Heheheh, Definitely your right about that bad day...,

cause when i came from that dealer green guy, i wear a brown bikini & went to the beach, 3 tuna fish dies & a dolphin puked....

ZAYED,,
Old 08-11-2013, 11:46 PM

E55, 2001 Silver.
mtnhouse, The infinity's sound a lot cleaner - but a lot of that is due to the fact that one of the old bose speakers sounded a bit "blown". I'm not sure if I can be objective. In my previous w210 I replaced the stock head unit with an Alpine unit that drove the Bose amp, and the stock speakers sounded a whole lot better. I think the stock head units are pretty mediocre. This stereo does not sound as good as my previous Alpine with the Bose amp/speakers.
Hope that helps.