Sponsored by:

Purchased Headers, X-Pipe, and Hi-Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by benzslo
Start by revving the engine from under hood to try to narrow the location down. Then you can use a long hose of some sort, stick one end in your ear and pass the other end around the possible spots you think its leaking. You'll hear it clear as day when the hose passes by the leak.

In my opinion those headers are junk, they always leak and I personally think the stock manifolds perform better. Technically they're not even headers anyway. Either way, they leak, and that is unacceptable.
Thanks for the tips. I kept the stock manifolds for this reason. If for whatever reason it is a leak that can't be fixed, then I can return to those.

I checked with my friend that helped installed them (also a tech at an MB Dealer) and he said there was a leak on the passenger side headers where the headers meet the pipe that leads to the cats. They (i left for a while) had to take it down and re-adjust the bolts that attach the headers to the pipe to fix the leak. It is possible the exhaust install perhaps messed with the attachment bolts on the drivers side (since this is where the sound is coming from). To me that doesn't necessarily indicate "junk" , but time will tell for me as well as a few others on this forum the quality of these headers.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Did you sand them down before installing them? Also, I would use the individual gaskets that the OEM manifold uses......instead of the one piece, that came with the headers. Mine were individual gaskets when I got them from AMS.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:32 PM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by snooozie
Did you sand them down before installing them? Also, I would use the individual gaskets that the OEM manifold uses......instead of the one piece, that came with the headers. Mine were individual gaskets when I got them from AMS.
Definitely sanded them down. They were totally flat on install. I'll check on the OEM gasket issue.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
It might just be an installment mistake...misalignment on the downpipe. The shop should have driven the car around before telling the customer....they are done. I would not call these headers "junk" as I have seen cut out in this forum on the oem manifolds. They have tiny openings and the inner pipe is wrap with an outer pipe. Very primitively done for a high end sports car. Also, you can never copy the "sound" of the stainless steel headers with cast iron manifolds.

Last edited by snooozie; 06-19-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:08 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
Just like he said the machinist said he would return them and has never seen any so bad. You couldn't pay me to run them, mill the flange true and it'll warp again. I've seen plenty of OEM and looked closely at them, I can say there are no sharp edges like that aftermarket one and it uses a plenum like design instead of just a tube with no collector. Mercedes knows a thing or two. Is there any proven gains using these alone? I've personally seen issues with more than one set, you get what you pay for with those.
I don't know who is looking to copy the sound of an exhaust leak. And like I said these shouldn't even be called headers they're manifolds.

Last edited by benzslo; 06-19-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 PM

2008 W211 E63
6 month Update

It's been a while since i posted, but i owe everyone an update on the mods i did.

Gas Mileage: increased by 2 mpg all around. i waited until CA stations got their winter blend gas and still remained up by 2 mpg. that at least a 10% improvement. Again, this could just be becasue the cast were shot, but either way saving $25-$50 a month at the pump means these mods will pay themselves off at some point.

Sound: Awesome!! Ticking sound was a mis-alignment of down pipe and header. no more ticking sound. nice bass at idle, sounds better than stock. but not noticeable louder. sounds AWESOME at WOT. Exactly what I was looking for.

CEL: None. Not in 6 months. Except for the Crank Position Sensor I just replaced which isn't emissions related.

Temperature: No noticeable difference. I got the header ceramic coated but the temp gauge is the same as its always been.

CA Smog: Just passed smog yesterday with the OBDII method. Pass on all counts. Please keep this in mind: It will fail a visual check if your the smog guy you go to is **** about that. But for you CA guys worried about CA emissions, these mods are good to go. This was t he thing I was most worried about as a CA resident.

I still owe videos of the sound but haven't had time to make them yet. stay posted.

Last edited by SleepersRock; 11-30-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
I dont really care about the time, but after seeing/hearing Solo Wings video of his mods I kind of want it sooner rather than later.

Damn all of you guys on this forum for all of your insights. The modding bug is for real!
I'm glad I could be of help mate!
Nice work! The ceramic coating is Perfect
I plan on recommencing modding, but after completing regular service, tune-up.
Waiting for updated vid.

Good luck

Faiz
Old 12-01-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 E55 AMG Obsidian Black with Charcoal
I still owe videos of the sound but haven't had time to make them yet. stay posted.
Glad that you are enjoying your exhaust modifications.
Could you please take some pictures of the primary cats installed?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
Thanks for the thorough write up! I am half-way there. secondary cats gone, x-pipe in, primary cats replacement coming, maybe headers.

Just to be clear, you passed CA smog with the only the primaries and those had been replaced with hi-flow?

I passed CA smog twice now with the only the original primaries (no secondaries) but at 180K miles, I think the original primaries are about dead. The last pass was very close to failing.

What cats did you buy again? The heavy load or the regular 200 cell?

Last edited by Schweinhund; 12-02-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:25 PM
ddb

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E55
Temperature: No noticeable difference. I got the header ceramic coated but the temp gauge is the same as its always been.
Glad to hear it is working well for you, SleepersRock!

If I understand your statement above correctly, you shouldn't see any difference in your temperature gauge, since it is measuring water (or coolant) temperature. The benefits from the ceramic coating are cooler under hood ambient temperatures and better thermal efficiency inside the headers.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:32 PM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Just to be clear, you passed CA smog with the only the primaries and those had been replaced with hi-flow?

What cats did you buy again? The heavy load or the regular 200 cell?
Correct. I passed CA Smog only 300 CEL (not 200 CEL) Hi Flow Primaries. There is an x-pipe in pace of the secondaries.

Originally Posted by ddb
Glad to hear it is working well for you, SleepersRock!

If I understand your statement above correctly, you shouldn't see any difference in your temperature gauge, since it is measuring water (or coolant) temperature. The benefits from the ceramic coating are cooler under hood ambient temperatures and better thermal efficiency inside the headers.
Ahhh. That makes sense as to why I see no difference. I was just using the temp gauge on the dash. I have no idea if there is/isn;t a difference under the hood.