Sponsored by:

Purchased Headers, X-Pipe, and Hi-Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W211 E63
Purchased Headers, X-Pipe, and Hi-Flow Cats

So I finally pulled the trigger and purchased headers (same as ddb and cudazied), x-pipe, 2 X 300 Cell Hi-Flow Cats, 2 X 45* mandrel bent pipes.

Assuming they actually ship the cats to me (I'm in CA) I got all that for $820 including shipping. I will probable have to pay for sanding the headers flat based on other members experience with this vendor.

1 cat (not 2, just 1) at the dealer was $970 plus tax. Both my primaries are blown.

I plan to: install headers, replace blown cats with hi-flows, delete secondary cats and replace with x-pipe, delete resonator and replace with 45* pipes. Does this make sense?

Anyone got mod friendly NorCAL installers?

What price have you guys paid, or should I pay, for this kind of install work?

I will post pictures when all the parts arrive. Could be a while depending on whether or not I get the cats.

Last edited by SleepersRock; 03-21-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:22 PM
ddb

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E55
Originally Posted by SleepersRock
I plan to: install headers, replace blown cats with hi-flows, delete secondary cats and replace with x-pipe, delete resonator and replace with 45* pipes. Does this make sense?
Sounds like a great plan, SR. Curious how many miles before your primary cats started falling apart? Do you anticipate having any issues in CA with the secondaries removed? I hope not. Best of luck and looking forward to your pics and impressions when done.

ddb
Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 E55 AMG Obsidian Black with Charcoal
Which cats did you purchase?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:45 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 5.4, ML320CDI, Fords
Post pic of these headers. If they are cheap manifold replacements, keep your manifolds around when you're tired of poor fitment and leaks.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by benzslo
Post pic of these headers. If they are cheap manifold replacements, keep your manifolds around when you're tired of poor fitment and leaks.
He bought the same ones I did. I had to send them out because they were not flat, which cost me a bunch. It turned out they sent me the wrong driver's side header. The company refunded me the cost of the headers. I was still out the money for the machine work (can't remember the $$$ of the top of my head) and return shipping.

Having them machined isn't out of the ordinary, but I got ****ed by them sending the wrong one as well. They're cheap for a reason. If you do a search you can find more posts about my ordeal.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 E55 AMG
Strigoi, Are there any reasonably priced, decent headers available? I've searched and can't find any.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Headers

My recommendation to the headers are, check them out for fitment before sending them to be sand. That will prevent costly mistakes later.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55
Call Corey at Kleemann. They have them for $990.00 they are mid-length and do away with the primary cats all together. The biggest bottle neck on the W210 E55 is at the stock collector. They will even turn off the Check engine light if you send them your ECU. If you are in California it may be difficult to get it smogged though.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:28 PM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by ddb
Sounds like a great plan, SR. Curious how many miles before your primary cats started falling apart? Do you anticipate having any issues in CA with the secondaries removed? I hope not. Best of luck and looking forward to your pics and impressions when done.
Cats went right around 150k. As long as I pass the sniff test, I don't think I'll have problems with the visual. From being on this forum the last few years, it seems as if other CA guys have done this mod without issue.

Originally Posted by cudaized
Which cats did you purchase?
Got them from www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com

Originally Posted by benzslo
See cudaized write up. I plan on keeping the stock manifold, and secondary cats.

Originally Posted by snooozie
My recommendation to the headers are, check them out for fitment before sending them to be sand. That will prevent costly mistakes later.
Exactly. See Stirogi's issue from the same vendor as cudaized. That is the beauty of these boards. We can all learn from each other. Hopefully, I can be a resource for the CA guys.

Originally Posted by mufc
Call Corey at Kleemann. They have them for $990.00 they are mid-length and do away with the primary cats all together. The biggest bottle neck on the W210 E55 is at the stock collector. They will even turn off the Check engine light if you send them your ECU. If you are in California it may be difficult to get it smogged though.
Not worried too much about quality of parts. The way these cars resale I'd be better driving it into the ground than selling it. Also, my goal is not to spend more than replacment value on mods. By that I mean, 2 cats from dealer =$2k. If I can get all this done for $1k then I'm a happy man, even if I have to replace some of the components in 2-3 years at another $1k.
Also, I don't want to do away with the primary cats as that's what I want for any "visual" inspection.

Last edited by SleepersRock; 03-28-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:22 AM

86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Not worried too much about quality of parts. The way these cars resale I'd be better driving it into the ground than selling it. Also, my goal is not to spend more than replacment value on mods. By that I mean, 2 cats from dealer =$2k. If I can get all this done for $1k then I'm a happy man, even if I have to replace some of the components in 2-3 years at another $1k.
Also, I don't want to do away with the primary cats as that's what I want for any "visual" inspection.

^That's really true, I am the same way....the way I'm going after all the mods that I put in, I'll enjoy every moment I have with the car and not worry too much. 1K is cheap for all this mod. If you had done them a few years back, would have cost 3k to 4k minimum...I remember the shortie headers alone from AMS were going for 1k or so. The beauty of living in Cali (depending where you live) is that you don't have to worry about the salt in the winter hence you can preserve the car and parts for a long time.

Last edited by snooozie; 03-29-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 PM

2008 W211 E63
FYI...I did in fact just receive the 300 CEL hi-flo cats along with my x-pipe and 45 degree bend pipes from the vendor I purchased them from even though I am in CA.

Now that I got all the parts delivered, I'm gonna have my guy check out the quality of the parts and figure out the install costs.

Last edited by SleepersRock; 04-01-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM

FYI...I did in fact just receive the 300 CEL hi-flo cats along with my x-pipe and 45 degree bend pipes from the vendor I purchased them from even though I am in CA.

Now that I got all the parts delivered, I'm gonna have my guy check out the quality of the parts and figure out the install costs.

Unless the smog guys open your package, I seriously doubt anyone will check and said you can't ship the hi flows to Cali. Crazy not to and miss out on a sale!!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:34 PM

SleepersRock, can you take a few pictures of the 300 CEL hi-flo cats when you put them in, while the car is on the ramp (if you could). I am thinking of going to hi-flos when mine goes and would like to see the fitment from the collector pipe. Thanks!!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 E55 AMG
I'm also interested in the cats - I have fault codes for both cats being below efficiency. I want to make sure the replacements don't trigger codes, as I have heard that some do.

Originally Posted by snooozie
SleepersRock, can you take a few pictures of the 300 CEL hi-flo cats when you put them in, while the car is on the ramp (if you could). I am thinking of going to hi-flos when mine goes and would like to see the fitment from the collector pipe. Thanks!!
Old 04-12-2014, 05:39 PM

2008 W211 E63
Here's a Quote

For the installation of headers, xpipe, resonator delete etc., here is a quote I got. Any feedback on the prices would be greatly appreciated:

Straighten Flanges X2: $90
Install 2 Hi FlowCats: $50
Install Headers: $550
Cut and re-weld stock cat flanges on to high flows: $70
resonator delete: $90
Xpipe after deleting secondaries: $120
2 O2 Bungs on Hi Flows: $50
Remove/Replace Entire Exhaust System: $140

Total: $1160

I've never modded performance parts before, so I have no idea if this is good no not. I'm in Nor Cal for reference if that makes a labor cost difference.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:41 PM
ddb

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E55
My first reaction: the quote was high. But, I just looked at my receipt and I was charged $416 to remove the resonator and install an x-pipe, as well as removing the secondary cats and installing new, high-flow secondaries. And I supplied all of the parts. I did the header install myself.

My guess is the quote isn't all bad. Can you get it done cheaper? Probably. Maybe it is worth getting a couple more quotes. I wouldn't want the cheapest shop working on my car to save a few bucks (unless their quality of work wasn't a question). I'm glad I was able to do the headers myself. They did kick my butt, however.

You are going to love this set-up!

Best of luck.

ddb
Old 04-12-2014, 06:48 PM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by ddb
My first reaction: the quote was high. But, I just looked at my receipt and I was charged $416 to remove the resonator and install an x-pipe, as well as removing the secondary cats and installing new, high-flow secondaries. And I supplied all of the parts. I did the header install myself.

My guess is the quote isn't all bad. Can you get it done cheaper? Probably. Maybe it is worth getting a couple more quotes. I wouldn't want the cheapest shop working on my car to save a few bucks (unless their quality of work wasn't a question). I'm glad I was able to do the headers myself. They did kick my butt, however.

You are going to love this set-up!

Best of luck.

ddb
i went to a bunch of places that were highly rated on yelp. this was the only place that didn't flat out refuse to do the headers. the guys there were friendly and pretty knowledgeable about the process. gonna try one or to more places later this week.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
I think that $550 for headers installation is not bad at all, compared to the cost in Canada
Good luck mate, keep us updated.

Cheers
Old 04-13-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E55 AMG
Post pics of the new primary cats in place after install of you can. Do these have an o2 bung or does one get added with install?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 PM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by cg3d
Post pics of the new primary cats in place after install of you can. Do these have an o2 bung or does one get added with install?
One gets added with install. Was quoted $2 X 2 to add these 02 bungs in.

So far its been a headache to try and find someone who can install the headers. Most muffler places around me won't touch them.

Also, how did some of you guys (with headers) find a machine shop to mill or sand the header flanges flat?

Last edited by SleepersRock; 04-14-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2002 E55 AMG Obsidian Black with Charcoal
Also, how did some of you guys (with headers) find a machine shop to mill or sand the header flanges flat?
Google? Phone location - near by search?

I called ahead. 2 different machine shops near by. Both said no problem.
One said they could use a milling machine, if it needed it. I knew it did not.
Most shops have a large flat sanding machine with a flat surface. They did not take much off the surface to make True.

My place was cheap compared to other peoples cost. But, I had been there before (resurface fly wheels and other old car engine stuff).
Old 04-14-2014, 03:30 PM

One gets added with install. Was quoted $2 X 2 to add these 02 bungs in.

So far its been a headache to try and find someone who can install the headers. Most muffler places around me won't touch them.

My indie shop did the headers for me. He told me this was his first on a benz as he has worked on a few muscle cars before....the one thing he did was when he put the flanges on the flat counter top, the flanges were warped pretty bad. I must have got the last one from AMS. I went around looking for a machine shop and lucky to find a performance shop, where they specialized modding the newer Camaros and mustangs. The guy told me $25 for each flange, hence for $50 I got them belt sand flat!!

Whatever you do, do not mill them as the flanges were welded to the headers hence they might come apart. You really don't need to cut them flat anyways. Just a good sanding will do the trick!!

Last edited by snooozie; 04-14-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM

2008 W211 E63
Originally Posted by cudaized
Google? Phone location - near by search?

I called ahead. 2 different machine shops near by. Both said no problem.
One said they could use a milling machine, if it needed it. I knew it did not.
Most shops have a large flat sanding machine with a flat surface. They did not take much off the surface to make True.

My place was cheap compared to other peoples cost. But, I had been there before (resurface fly wheels and other old car engine stuff).
I've called 10 different machine shop. All said they don't do automotive work.

My google search is as follows: machine shop in Santa Clara, CA.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:43 PM

Maybe instead of telling them you have a set of headers which most machine shops unless they deal with automotive products usually don't understand what they are, ask them if they have a large belt sander where they can sand down a flat metal surface....
Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430

Did you try Automobile or automotive machine shop Santa Clara? I googled that and found the yellow pages showing several automotive machine shops. I'm not from the area so I can't say which are good or bad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Purchased Headers, X-Pipe, and Hi-Flow Cats