Sponsored by:

Exhaust for dummies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl 63 amg
SL 63 AMG Exhaust

I need some help with exhaust information. I just replaced by C63 for the SL63 AMG with performance package. I have just run it in at 5000km. Whilst the exhaust note is great it is not quite like the old 6.3 liter v8.

I am exploring after market exhaust options and need some advice on how to make the exhaust stronger without too many mods to factory kit. I am still under new car warranty and don't want hassles with the dealer.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 AM
ddb

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E55
Originally Posted by petemakamg63
I need some help with exhaust information. I just replaced by C63 for the SL63 AMG with performance package. I have just run it in at 5000km. Whilst the exhaust note is great it is not quite like the old 6.3 liter v8.

I am exploring after market exhaust options and need some advice on how to make the exhaust stronger without too many mods to factory kit. I am still under new car warranty and don't want hassles with the dealer.

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to the forum. Your question was posted in the W210 E55 section. Try posting it in the section in the link below and I'm sure you will get some advice.

Best of luck!

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...5-amg-r230-49/
Old 10-30-2018, 12:55 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Solo wing
This probably is among the most discussed subjects in this forum.
There are three restricted zones in the exhaust:
-manifolds
-primary cats
-secondary cats.
You can install mid tube headers from Kleemann.
Shorties from (topspeed)eBay or RENNtech. If you go with Kleemann you'll have to delete the primaries.
The primary cats are monitored by O2 sensors, so deleting the cats will result in a CEL. You can either relocate the sensors to the secondary or get a tune.
The secondary cats are sensor-less, so it will not trigger any sort of message.

Most people here remove the resonator. and install a crossover (mostly an x-pipe).
Another group- Including me- chose to also delete the secondary cats.
I recommend you delete the resonator and replace the 2nd cats with an x-pipe.
It's the best mod for the $ and you'll gain a few horses across the entire rpm.
Here's my feedback.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/...te-x-pipe.html

Resonator delete will increase the loudness and slight amount of bass (classy way of course!).
Deleting the 2nd cats will also increase the loudness a bit, but will clear the sound, make it more precise and defined.

As for the type of crossover, an x-pipe will give you more gains mid-high rpm, and will sound exotic.
an H-pipe gains will be in the lower range, and the sound will be more raspy and American muscle-like.

IMHO X-pipe suits the car better.
Also if you're going to install a crossover, install it as close to the engine as you can to get more scavenging effect.

Good luck,
Faiz
Hey Solo,

II have a 02 E55 AMG, and the previous owner removed the 2nd Cats, Resonators, and added a Magnaflow muffler. When I recently added an X-Pipe, I noticed the previous owner tried to use as much of the original pipe in his mods, and has welded pipe sections… Not a clean job in my opinion, and now doesn't have the exhaust pipe release for when I have to work on the transmission. So now I want replace the exhaust pipe with one continuous pipe.

At freeway speeds it’s a bit loud for me... Especially after a long day at 2AM… Ha! Is there a muffler that you would recommend that would sound more exotic removing that deep drone sound

Old 10-30-2018, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Seems like most aftermarket mufflers would have more of a race sound. Have the same set up sans the Magnaflow with OEM muffler. I have a slight drone around 2000-2500 RPM but I am far from obnoxious like many of the Mustangs that are around here.

I have read that the AMG muffler is vey well designed. Best thing I can say is hit Youtube up for reference sounds.
The following users liked this post:
rtuazon (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 01:55 PM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
Originally Posted by rtuazon
Hey Solo,

II have a 02 E55 AMG, and the previous owner removed the 2nd Cats, Resonators, and added a Magnaflow muffler. When I recently added an X-Pipe, I noticed the previous owner tried to use as much of the original pipe in his mods, and has welded pipe sections… Not a clean job in my opinion, and now doesn't have the exhaust pipe release for when I have to work on the transmission. So now I want replace the exhaust pipe with one continuous pipe.

At freeway speeds it’s a bit loud for me... Especially after a long day at 2AM… Ha! Is there a muffler that you would recommend that would sound more exotic removing that deep drone sound
IMHO I think the best muffler on the these cars is the original AMG muffler. It is quiet when cruising, and loud when you get on it. Maybe search around for a used E55 muffler, keep in mind they are very rare.

Good luck,
LUNDY (09-29-2019)
Old 10-31-2018, 01:30 AM

2002 E55 AMG
Thanks Solo Wing & Tall Girrafe!

Ebay has used W210 AMG mufflers for $380.00ish plus delivery fees. My muffler guy says a Borla may be a tad bit quitter, without that deep drone. I think I'm going that route before I have to spend more with a stock muffler. I do like the louder rumble... It's just that loud drone on long, late night drives that gets to me.

PS, Cheezels, sorry if it was inappropriate to jump on your post. I rarely post and still green when using this forum. Just happen to see your post and some of the peeps here looked to know what they were talking about.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 ML63, 2000 E55
Excited to be getting my resonator removed this week. Looking forward to some better sound of this incredible vehicle.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
The more you drive the car over time with the mods, the louder it gets. I think the new trend nowadays is the raspy sounding exhaust. I much preferred the old school muscle car sound which this W210 has compared to the newer c63s sounding exhaust.
LUNDY (09-25-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 11:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 ML63, 2000 E55
Originally Posted by snooozie
The more you drive the car over time with the mods, the louder it gets. I think the new trend nowadays is the raspy sounding exhaust. I much preferred the old school muscle car sound which this W210 has compared to the newer c63s sounding exhaust.
Resonator removed and car is astonishingly very much the same. Even the exhaust shop said it was very similar to the original. The sound improves when you get on it. Really think I'm going to like this.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
When I first installed my headers they were not much different from stock but over time they have become louder (in a good way).
LUNDY (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 03:17 PM

W210 E55 AMG 1998
Originally Posted by illest
When I first installed my headers they were not much different from stock but over time they have become louder (in a good way).
Yes strange how that works?. I had an mf x-pipe installed in place of 2nd cats and the resonator removed and at first it sounded not much different. Of course at idle it was louder and the tone a lot more bassy. I don't remember how long it took to settle to what it is now though. Anyway it sounds really good accelerating from about 2000 to 4000 rpm. I have a bit more engine noise masking the exhaust note though because I have polyurethane mounts from creative steel which among other things also increases the cabin noise from the engine it self.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:23 AM

Hi,

removing cats will you have problems with emissions? I’m hoping to pick up an 01 E55 tomorrow looking for cheap mods I am do but don’t want to effect emissions
Old 12-20-2019, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
As long as you only remove the secondary cats it will be fine. They are after the o2 sensors.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:27 PM

As long as you only remove the secondary cats it will be fine. They are after the o2 sensors.

thanks I just drove my new to me 01 e55 5hrs from Louisville. Car runs smooth. I think I will do this kids and something for handling. I was surprised I thought the car would handle better
Old 01-28-2020, 07:37 AM

I’m curious if removing the cats causes more exhaust smell. I definitely do not want that.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:24 PM

W210 E55 AMG 1998
As long as you have either primary or secondary cat it will take care of that. These are old cars, removing the secondaries and replacing the primaries with 200 cell hi flow cats will do a lot of good for performance, sound and mpg.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Wilbur
As long as you have either primary or secondary cat it will take care of that. These are old cars, removing the secondaries and replacing the primaries with 200 cell hi flow cats will do a lot of good for performance, sound and mpg.

thanks that’s the plan for me eventually
Old 01-28-2020, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Have you replaced your primary cats with 200 cell? I have read that those would throw CEL or you have to use a fouler for the 02 sensors.

My primaries failed a while back. Previously I removed the resonator, secondaries and installed a magnaflow X pipe. I had an option to decat and deal with emissions or replace. I ended up going with 300 cell high flow. No CEL

Old 01-30-2020, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tall Giraffe
Have you replaced your primary cats with 200 cell? I have read that those would throw CEL or you have to use a fouler for the 02 sensors.

My primaries failed a while back. Previously I removed the resonator, secondaries and installed a magnaflow X pipe. I had an option to decat and deal with emissions or replace. I ended up going with 300 cell high flow. No CEL

can you tell me where you got the primari from and part number? I might have to change mibe, I had codes that popped up. I cleared the codes drove over 100 miles so far CEL did not come back up. If it does I want to replace them.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
For performance I chose the Vibrant 7101. 2.5” 300 cell metallic substrate high flow cat.

The primary cat is offset meaning exhaust comes in straight and the exit pipe is at an angle back. A muffler shop will have to fabricate to fit the straight through Vibrant 7101.

There are offset options that come with ceramic 400 cell substrate if you want stock like as well as high flow options by Magnaflow. I think Magnaflow only does 200 cell on high flow however. I have those part numbers if you want.

Also Davico can fabricate a down pipe full section but is more costly.

Mine sounds great and night and day responsiveness with shorty header, high flow primary, x pipe and resonator delete.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:44 AM

W210 E55 AMG 1998
Originally Posted by Tall Giraffe

My car is model year 1998, first sold in Italy. It only has pre cat oxygen sensors. I could go catless without issue... well except from the yearly MOT . I've been contemplating it but I think if i go trough the hassle of removing the primaries I would pay a little extra and stick two new 200 cell cats in.