W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

2001 E55 Amg purchase question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2015 | 05:09 PM

2021 Yukon XL Denali, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Is it a dealer vehicle or private seller? If it is a private seller ask for copies of service records. If they don't have all service records scanned and available to send (which is almost always the case) at least ask if they have records for a transmission fluid service. For me knowing that the tranny has been serviced is a big plus, an typically indicative of other parts on the vehicle being maintained. I am sure others will chime in here with other ideas.
Old 02-27-2015 | 05:10 PM

Pictures of the underside to show no rust is another thought.
Old 02-27-2015 | 06:54 PM

n
Thanks again. The carfax shows 4 owners. He has owned for 2 years. He hasn't done any transmission service but says car shifts perfectly. He works at the local mercedes benz dealer. He sent me a few records via text since he has owned the car. Hes asking 6500 for a 2001 with 107500 miles. should his price concern me as it seems others are higher with more miles? Strange question I know. He will send me pics of tires and inside wheel well. Also stated had front brakes done recently and will need rears by summer.

Thoughts?
Old 02-27-2015 | 08:11 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Sounds like a good deal. If he works at a MB dealer why not ask him if he can have the tranny serviced if you decide to buy it?? Not a flush tough. Rear breaks shouldnt be a deal breaker. Also ask about the valve cover gaskets as they tend to leak. Rear bushings on mine are getting worn at 98k not a big deal just somethin to consider.
Old 02-27-2015 | 09:31 PM

I don't know where you are in NC but 8 hours is a long way to travel for the first E55 you came across that seems decent. The price and mileage seems in line with the market, you just have to decide if a long distance purchase is worth it. In Northern VA on Craigslist there are usually 1-2 w210 E55s for sale at any given time around that price point. I am just saying don't rush into it if you have time and can afford to wait for something closer to come along. To put it in perspective, I just bought my 99 not too long again with 160k miles for $4,400, negotiated down from $5,500 asking price, and it had service records for all major services. It was also right in my backyard.
Old 02-28-2015 | 12:58 AM

n
I appreciate all of the input. I will look into various options. Lets see cooperative the seller will be. I am also going to look again more locally and regionally. If you happen to know someone looking to sell theirs let me know. Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2015 | 01:02 AM

n
I took that advice in my search and up popped one 30 minutes from where i live. It's a 2001 with 142k miles for 6500. Seller is a dealer who purchased car for himself initially now wants to sell. Said he will not accept one penny less then his asking price of 6500. However his car has 36k miles more than the other vehicle 7 hours away. Going to see tomorrow or Monday and see what happens.
Old 03-01-2015 | 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 matic
With that many miles he should be willing to take less, but dont be scared of the mileage if it was well cared for.
Old 03-05-2015 | 06:20 PM

n
Finally completed my ppi on the 01 with 107k miles. Here are the results. Please provide feedback

Positives:
*tires, brakes, motor mounts, interior. All windows seats sunroof work. Car shifts well according to technician and has power

Negatives:
* multiple oil leaks-pan gasket, rear main seal, valve cover gasket (15-23 labor hours)
*tune up/air filter/etc...
*hood dampeners

Minor blemishes
*rust between bumper and fender
*scratch on drivers side rear door
*drivers side mirror cracked
*small tear on bolster on drivers seat.

Please provide feedback
Old 03-05-2015 | 06:42 PM

2001 E-55 AMG
i won't pay more than $4500 since it needs basic maintenance and the oil leaks are costly from a labor stand point. Long distance transactions are risky. In the end, you have to decide what it is worth to you.
Old 03-05-2015 | 06:48 PM

n
That is a good point. I was thinking something along those lines or simply passing on the car entirely. Thanks for thoughts.
Old 03-05-2015 | 07:02 PM

2000 e55
For what it's worth I'll provide what I just bought in detail so you can get more feedback on the market for these things right now.

2000 e55

80,500 mi.

one owner, It spent it's first few years going between the hamptons and pb (there were service records from ny), then it seemed like for the last 8 years it's been down here in south fl, being driven sparingly, definitely garage kept all it's life. I had to put new tires on it upon purchase, they were 8 years old! (and new tires are pretty expensive for these cars so factor that in) The car has been babied. All service records on carfax.. guy was even getting new tires and details at the benz dealership. Regular stuff like replacing radio is on there, and window regulator/s

Mechanically- it's in great shape. Motor strong, brakes great. I'll do new plugs and wires next week as a preventive measure, the car has originals in. I'll also do new motor mounts and transmission mounts soon, as the motor mounts are sagging (to be expected on these cars). I'll also do all new fluids next week.

Cosmetics- Paint is great. There's a spot not he back that had been repainted, not very noticeable, but it wasn't done very well. No accident on carfax so it probably wasn't serious. All exterior light lenses are showroom fresh. This looks like a two year old car, maybe new to the undiscerning eye. Interior is an A+. Seats have just SLIGHT wear. All buttons on the interior and steering wheel look new. There is a small crack in the dash but he airbag cover that's probably .5 inches long, and is very common. Every w210 down here in FL seemingly has this. Speakers are great, carpets are great, headliner excellent, all windows work well, and no cracked seals can be found on this car. Wheels look great and have 2 spots of light curb rash, but not noticeable.

I got this for $8,800 (just under 10K w/ tax tag title). The dealer I bought it from bought it off the Ferrari dealer they work with that got the E55 off the original owner on trade.

The right one is out there. I found my car on eBay in my weekly browse of the market, and just happened to notice the dealer was right down the street from me. Went and saw it, drove it to my indie immediately, it was mine within 2 days. I had been looking at these cars for the better part of a year.

Patience is key... after researching these cars a LOT I would hesitate to buy sight unseen or hedge your bets and travel very far.
Old 03-05-2015 | 07:18 PM

n
I am noticing that people are saying that i should just be patient and the right one will come. I guess that's what i will do. Thanks for the insight. will do.
Old 03-05-2015 | 07:49 PM

2000 e55
Good on you. Also, searchtempest.com is your friend. It will search all craigslist listings within paramaters you set.
Old 03-06-2015 | 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mr_byers
I am noticing that people are saying that i should just be patient and the right one will come. I guess that's what i will do. Thanks for the insight. will do.
I think that is wise with respect to this particular vehicle. I have done a rear main seal and oil pan gasket on my Jeep before and it is a PIA. I did the work myself but I can only imagine that it would be more complex on a Benz and more expensive (probably over a grand) at an indy shop.

If you post your general location in NC folks here may actually help you look a bit (I am not encouraging people to post personal info here, just an approximate location), since many of us enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

This one in Hillsborough is more in the pricepoint and mileage I look for in a used vehicle, but that is because I am cheap, mechanically inclined, and not afraid of higher mileage. Keep in mind I just purchased my 99 E55 with 173K miles for $4,400, so the below listing for a post-facelift (2001) with 142K miles with an asking price of $6,500, strikes me as a good starting point to work them down to the $5K to $5.5K range. That is, unless you don't work on your vehicles (no shame in that!), in which case you may consider paying more for lower mileage.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/4909205568.html
Old 03-06-2015 | 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 matic
I agree with mrobinso.

If you can do the work it makes finding the 'right' car alot easier. The issues they found on your PPI (except for the rear main seal) are not too difficult to DIY.

When I got mine back in december I did valve cover gaskets, breather covers, CPS, and spark plugs within a week of the purchase. It was not a big deal because I knew what to expect when I bought it and my only cost was parts and time after work.