Sponsored by:

Help for E55 price to buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005clk500, 1997 e420
Help for E55 price to buy

Hello, I am presented with an opportunity to buy an e55 amg (facelift), I've seen it one time and only did a visual inspection and I heard it run all of 4 minutes, From what I saw and heard, it needs

*front bumper cover
*left door panel
*a good interior cleaning
*cats
*paint? Or a good buffing

Further into talking to the lady who owns the car, she tells me that it needs

*a brake sensor (to release the trans out of park)(she has been sticking a pen in the manual release hole)
*the center control unit (for Windows)

The car cas 20x,xxx miles and the trans has never been replaced and I'm unaware of any engine work since again I didn't get to fully inspect it.

I'm also concerned about the suspention and brakes needing to be replaced.

Everything that needs to be fixed I plan to do myself. DIY

She is asking $3000 USD but to me this is overpriced with everything and with so many miles. So what I'm asking is with all the problems, how much is the car worth. I'm going to inspect the car sometime within the week. Is there anything else I should look out for? Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by mercedesman425; 03-30-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Originally Posted by mercedesman425
Hello, I am presented with an opportunity to buy an e55 amg (facelift), I've seen it one time and only did a visual inspection and I heard it run all of 4 minutes, From what I saw and heard, it needs

*front bumper cover
*left door panel
*a good interior cleaning
*cats
*paint? Or a good buffing

Further into talking to the lady who owns the car, she tells me that it needs

*a brake sensor (to release the trans out of park)(she has been sticking a pen in the manual release hole)
*the center control unit (for Windows)

The car cas 20x,xxx miles and the trans has never been replaced and I'm unaware of any engine work since again I didn't get to fully inspect it.

I'm also concerned about the suspention and brakes needing to be replaced.

Everything that needs to be fixed I plan to do myself. DIY

She is asking $3000 USD but to me this is overpriced with everything and with so many miles. So what I'm asking is with all the problems, how much is the car worth. I'm going to inspect the car sometime within the week. Is there anything else I should look out for? Thanks for any feedback.
That car will cost you double to remedy and you may not enjoy the true beauty of the car due to the repairs/expense. Move along. There are others in the wild.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM

2005clk500, 1997 e420
Originally Posted by Tall Giraffe
That car will cost you double to remedy and you may not enjoy the true beauty of the car due to the repairs/expense. Move along. There are others in the wild.
Well in all honesty, I was planning on rebuilding the trans and getting it built once it went out, and then I was going to either going to rebuild the engine (if even possible) and build it, or get a low mileage engine and build that one. This will kinda be my project car that I plan on owning for 30+years.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
Look for rust primarily then suspension would be the next concern- bushings, ball joints, tie rods, bent wheels. The brake switch is like $10 if that is the culprit.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
+1. Get a better condition one. This one will cost you a lot of money and time. I bought 2002 silver 135K miles for $7800 2 weeks ago. Already gonna spend $1K. In few months, I will need new rear tires and front brake ($700). And who know what's next.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:12 PM

2005clk500, 1997 e420
Look for rust primarily then suspension would be the next concern- bushings, ball joints, tie rods, bent wheels. The brake switch is like $10 if that is the culprit.
The areas of rust I know where to look at is

*under the door seal/gasket
*fender wells
*front strut towers
*trunk lock hole
*bottom of doors

where else should I look?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
The areas of rust I know where to look at is

*under the door seal/gasket
*fender wells
*front strut towers
*trunk lock hole
*bottom of doors

where else should I look?
That does seem to cover the majority of areas. Spring perch just to be sure.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 PM

2005clk500, 1997 e420
That does seem to cover the majority of areas. Spring perch just to be sure.
When inspecting the engine compartment and when I go under the car, is there anything specific to look for?
Old 03-31-2015, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
When inspecting the engine compartment and when I go under the car, is there anything specific to look for?
Spring Perch where the spring sets underneath is a main culprit. On the top look where the shock comes through the engine bay- around the cup. Look for bubbling or obvious rust.

A Pre purchase Inspection is the key with these cars, though many times this does not include body damage as they look for more mechanical.

A suggestion would be to take it to a body shop and see if they will give you an option and look for these items. The key is hopefully they have experiences with the W210 and knows about the rust issues. They could help you uncover any accident or body work too.

Also run a search in the normal W210 section as you may see more indepth threads about this.

Last edited by Tall Giraffe; 03-31-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
+1

*a brake sensor (to release the trans out of park)(she has been sticking a pen in the manual release hole) ---- incorrect it needs a shifter $300-$500 right off the back. Not counting a complete overhaul on the front end + rotors and brakes. Upper /lower control arm , bushings, ball joints, sway bar links and rear control arm bushings maybe wheel bearings as well. Let's not forget spark plugs/wires. I would pass.. I love projects cards dont' get me wrong but this one it just soudns it was not taking care of

Armani

Old 04-01-2015, 10:04 PM

2005clk500, 1997 e420
So I have gone threw the car and it runs, drives, and stops, it also halls *** like no tomorrow, it shifts into all gears. It even has a radar scanner! LOL. It has * NO * check engine light. The woman is not smart enough to reset the codes trust me. When you put the key in, it tells you to remove the key but you can obviously still turn the car on, aslo the car has a rebuilt title

There is an oil leak on the top end, I'm not sure exactly where but if you are looking at the engine from the front of the car, it's on the left side between the valve cover and the intake.

This is a list of stuff to be done
*front bumper cover
*New fog light + wiring
*brakes pads and rotors still have life
* New belt
*New alternator (oils been spilling in it)
*back left door has minor rust on the top
*New shifter unit
*New center control unit
*New cup holder
*headliner
*something with the sunroof being off track
*both front seats
*the part where you put the key in has been pushed in and mover to the left.
*the trunk leaks when you open it (my 97 e420 did it too)
*oil change
*trans oil change
*New trans oil filter, seal, and gasket
* both front door panels
*paint or a good buffing?
*good detailing. The lady smoked in it....

she claims to pay $8,000 three years ago with 150,xxx miles. She overpaid and she knows it. We talked about how much she would let it go for and she said the she will let it go for 1000$ only because she knows that I will take care of it and fix it.

I would like to still buy it, and I KNOW that it's going to cost a Crap ton to fix but I'm fully repaired (other than the engine and trans going lol)

What do u guys think. Pics are on the way
Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 PM

2005clk500, 1997 e420

<br/>

With front over off for oil leak

Old 04-01-2015, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
That junk pile belongs in the junkyard!

My friend is selling his 200k mi 2000 E55 with new motor mounts, spark plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, MAF, CPS, CAT, EGR, trans service. (Everything the car you're looking at would need has been replaced.) It has a brand new windshield, front bumper and freshly repainted front end. Front seats are in fair condition and rear seats are perfectly fine. He's asking $3500 if you're interested. Located in socal but may be worth the trip.

Last edited by desired_speeds; 04-01-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 PM

2000 e55
I would run. My friend had a w210 he bought off someone a few years back, one owner car. Car was owned by people that weren't car people, spent bare minimum on it, spilled drinks in it etc. Car was a nightmare after 2 years.. the electrical problems were pretty much insurmountable. sunroof leaked, oil all over the engine bay, etc. His car was in MUCH better shape than the car you're looking at.

you'll pour thousands into this car, look at it's condition when you took pics. Sh*t all over, the owner barely cares about it when she's trying to sell. If you want a car you'll enjoy for years to come, take the SAME money you'll spend on this car and it's rehabbing and buy a nicer example. I just bought this for $8,800. It's nearly flawless, and condition-wise doesn't look over a year old..everything functions, no wear on the interior, garage kept, 80k mile one-owner car.

Im not here to show off, just trying to show you what you can get for comparable money. I've been around these cars for quite some time and it's really important/better to get one that's been cared for properly.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Unhappy

Looking good Billy Ray!

You couldn't give this to me for Free. I get it, your trying to buy an AMG for cheap money. This car can not be Rehab. We are talking thousand and clearly it has been abused and not taking care off...... RIP AMG
Old 04-02-2015, 12:12 AM

2002 E55 AMG
Its sad to see such a rare car end up like that. Whats even sader is that it will probably end up in a junkyard not too long from now.... Hopefully someone saves it even tough it will cost a fortune to do so.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:27 AM

2005clk500, 1997 e420
I would love to save it and I really really want to. Everyone is saying stay away stay away. But why. Just because of the cost. Isn't that what you do when you want to save a car? I mean yes.... It's going to cost a lot.... But once the engine goes, that's my excuse to get it rebuilt, built and tuned and when the trans goes, I'll get it rebuilt and built. Anything that goes bad is an excuse to fix it and make it better than it was. It's not like I'm going to take it to a dealer or machanic. I can do everything myself (other than the engine and trans rebuild). And I'm NOT flipping it... I want to keep it for years and years to come. And yes.... I am trying to get an Amg for cheap. It runs, drives, stops, and no engine lights. It can't be that bad.... I mean is it really all that bad???
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
I agree to what everyone else has said. I wonder if you could even recoup the cost to pay that car back if you parted her out!

The other thing that popped into my mind is that if you think that car hauls in that condition, find a better example and see the difference. I cant imagine that car running as well as a better maintained one even if a classic Mercedes/AMG.

The oil leak is most likely from the valve gasket and resealing the breather covers. You would have to go in and redo the plumbing of the hoses, fittings, sparks, packs, wires just to stop the bleeding and clean up. How that car is not misfiring is a quandary.

Im not trying to clown, but that is one of the worst condition E55s I have seen on this forum.

Everything you need to do to it can be found here and we can help but the expense and time is extremely great.

If you do buy it, GL!! Id investigate desired_speeds' lead first however.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
I would love to save it and I really really want to. Everyone is saying stay away stay away. But why. Just because of the cost. Isn't that what you do when you want to save a car? I mean yes.... It's going to cost a lot.... But once the engine goes, that's my excuse to get it rebuilt, built and tuned and when the trans goes, I'll get it rebuilt and built. Anything that goes bad is an excuse to fix it and make it better than it was. It's not like I'm going to take it to a dealer or machanic. I can do everything myself (other than the engine and trans rebuild). And I'm NOT flipping it... I want to keep it for years and years to come. And yes.... I am trying to get an Amg for cheap. It runs, drives, stops, and no engine lights. It can't be that bad.... I mean is it really all that bad???
I guess we just know what it takes to keep these beauties running well and the associated costs of parts, special tools needed and man hours you are entering. I assume most of us look at the project and feel like the investment is not worth it. Me personally, I would do everything I can to keep the engine and tranny alive first. I stalk ebay always looking at parts and such though if you find a good alternate parts car, you may be in luck. This is a rebuild not a rehab.

I bought mine slightly imperfect and know what I have invested thus far. I get what you are saying though.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:46 AM

2002 E55 AMG
At the end of the day its totally up to you. Everyone here is just trying to keep you from getting disappointed with ur AMG. Its going to take lots of work to get her looking good again. But it seems as if you WANT a project car?? If ur dead set on buying it the only thing i would recommend is buying a crashed parts car and taking everything u need from it to put on this one. Whats the price? $1000?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
I completely understand what you mean about trying to save the car and restore it back to it's former glory. I think the same way, seeing the potential in every car no matter how bad it is.

I started making more sensible decisions on purchases after I bought another one of the same car. I've owned a total of 8 Acura Legends, my first one being a $500 salvage title rust bucket in high school and my last one being a mint conditioned one from the original owner. As I bought car after car, my standards started getting higher when I realized that a restored car will never be 100%. Something will always be slightly off. I'm a perfectionist and it's hard for me to live with that. Starting with a slightly better chassis will make a world of difference.

Just my 2 cents...

I do all the work on my E55 myself and it has not been a cheap journey. I started with a fair conditioned car with no rips in the seats or broken body parts in 2010.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:05 PM

2000 e55
I hear you on saving a car. But why dump a fortune into JUNK you might just get to FAIR condition?

Buy a fair condition/good condition and make it PERFECT!

It will probably cost you the same.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 mercedes E55 amg
I got mine for 10k with 95k mi on it. You can do better mate
Old 04-03-2015, 08:11 AM

moon buggy
walk away. It will be money pit.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:22 PM

2005clk500, 1997 e420
I see what you guys are saying , it's going to be a money pit. And I don't have 10g's to drop on a nice e55, otherwise I would clearly get a better one. I'm not even sure if I want to restore it. I just want to replace the little things. I mean if I were to buy 69 mustang that's all original and been hiding for a long time I'm going to be dumping money into that too. Any car you look at will have problems. I look at this car and I see so much potential, not to turn it into a show car.... Once the trans goes, time for a manual swap. See what I'm saying. I'm not going to go back to original. I'm going to upgrade. maybe I'm over my head. Maybe it's a diamond in the rough. I guess we will find out if I screwed myself or if I got a steal. If I get it, I look forward to seeing y'all on this forum for repairs. Hahaha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help for E55 price to buy