Opinions on potential E55 ownership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Opinions on potential E55 ownership

Hello MBWorld!

My name is Salman, I am a 21 year old college student living in MD, and am considering purchasing a W210 E55 AMG in the near future.

Car Background
I started out with a 1996 Infiniti I30 in highschool. Had a 4-speed automagic transmission as well as headers, y-pipe, intake, and aftermarket suspension. Sold it with 220K miles running strong!

Next car was a 1991 NA Toyota MR2. Was looking to buy a handling oriented car for autox/track events and was mesmerized by the mid-engine handling. Did a few autox events and a trackday in that car. Enjoyed it until last August when the piston rings blew. Considered putting in the turbo motor but decided to sell and pay for school instead.

Currently driving the family's 2001 E320 with 205K miles on it. We're the original owners and it's a rock solid car since all maintenance has been done by dealers.

Reasons for interest
Interested in the E55 because I was amazed by driving my friend's W211 E55 last week, and I enjoyed autocrossing the E320 this past weekend. They seem to be affordable with some being priced less than $10K and it's a simple, clean design. The W210 and W211 designs are my favorite body styles.

The car would primarily be used for my daily 100 mile commute to and from school. I always take I-270/495 and traffic blows in the morning. So it's nice to have an automatic transmission for once. I'd also like to run it at the Summit Point track once every few months. Same for autocross. Not looking to be the fastest out there, just want to have some fun!

Budget
My budget is $7000-8000 to buy an AMG. That's still tentative since most of my money comes in the summer, but am just calculating the potential in advance. Work full-time for the summer and part-time throughout the school year - I'm finishing my fourth year at UMD but plan to go for another degree immediately after.

I do ~90% of my own maintenance and am not afraid to turn my own wrench. Don't have the equipment for engine and transmission swaps but am more than willing to learn both. Seems that parts are insanely expensive and I would look to get them elsewhere than the dealer. Fortunately I have a friend who works at MB of Silver Spring so he can discount me some.

Insurance I do not have to pay for, whereas I sometimes do for gas. Maintenance, mods, and tickets are all out my pocket so there's that balance.

This is a car I would like to own. I'd like to read MBWorld's objective opinion on if my situation seems suitable for ownership based on your experiences.

Below are photos of my previous cars as well as my autox videos!

E320 Run 1

E320 Run 3

MR2 Run

Last edited by Sal_the_man; 04-27-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 AM

2002 E55 AMG
Not sure it would be the BEST choice for track/autocross as that seems to be what ur into. You say u wer inclined to buy an E55 after being in a w211. Totally different beast. Much faster, different suspension than a w210. I drive a 02 everyday and its a great daily driver average about 16-18 mpg. AWESOME car to cover large stretches of road comfortably. Enough power to stomp 85% of cars out on the road. Maintenance wise its not horrible but not cheap either. Front rotors are pricey as are tires. Motor mounts, leaky valve covers, rust and transmission not bein serviced seem to be main problems. Motor and tranny are bulletproof if serviced correctly. I think of this car as a comfortable rocket ship that you can drive everyday.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E55 AMG
I have had my e55 for almost exactly a year. I put about 10k miles on in that time. Its one hell of a car. On the freeway at 70-75 I get about 25-26 mpg. It still runs 13s down the 1/4 mile and it amazes me how well this big car handles. Mine is an 01 and shes been around the world about 10x (256,000 miles) still an amazing car. Take care of it, and she'll take care of you.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 AM

E320
Originally Posted by giovany2429
Not sure it would be the BEST choice for track/autocross as that seems to be what ur into. You say u wer inclined to buy an E55 after being in a w211. Totally different beast. Much faster, different suspension than a w210.
Right and I do realize that. But the car made me realize that I am interested in AMG cars.

I drive a 02 everyday and its a great daily driver average about 16-18 mpg. AWESOME car to cover large stretches of road comfortably. Enough power to stomp 85% of cars out on the road.
16-18 isn't so bad for a 5.5L V8. Great to hear it can handle distances. Think I'd like to have a powerful car that can put down power for a long time.

Maintenance wise its not horrible but not cheap either. Front rotors are pricey as are tires. Motor mounts, leaky valve covers, rust and transmission not bein serviced seem to be main problems. Motor and tranny are bulletproof if serviced correctly. I think of this car as a comfortable rocket ship that you can drive everyday.
Yes seems that maintenance has to largely be considered. I've been reading that buying an AMG with documented maintenance is the way to go. Anything else is a larger risk of owning a lemon.

I like rocket ships
Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 AM

E320
Originally Posted by Midwest
I have had my e55 for almost exactly a year. I put about 10k miles on in that time. Its one hell of a car. On the freeway at 70-75 I get about 25-26 mpg. It still runs 13s down the 1/4 mile and it amazes me how well this big car handles. Mine is an 01 and shes been around the world about 10x (256,000 miles) still an amazing car. Take care of it, and she'll take care of you.
Wow 256K on an AMG! That's astonishing. And 25-26 is very good for the highway. That's the average MPG I'm getting in the E320.

What maintenance has to be done to the transmission to ensure longevity? From your ownership, looks like the M113 will last awhile. But the transmission is very expensive to replace
Old 04-28-2015, 03:26 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Simply by changing the fluid and filter regularly will keep it happy. Some owners dont do this believing the "sealed for life" claim by mercedes. And yes finding one with documented maintenance is a big plus.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:43 PM

E320
Originally Posted by giovany2429
Simply by changing the fluid and filter regularly will keep it happy. Some owners dont do this believing the "sealed for life" claim by mercedes. And yes finding one with documented maintenance is a big plus.
Simple enough. It'd be nice if everything was "sealed for life" but I know from experience that's not true...for any car ha
Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Maintenance and repair not much different to a E320 to be honest... As other member mentioned, Front brakes are very expensive.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:32 PM

E320
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
Maintenance and repair not much different to a E320 to be honest... As other member mentioned, Front brakes are very expensive.
This is reassuring since I'm pretty acquainted with cost of E320 repairs. It's all pretty doable.

Alternatives to getting front rotors from the dealer?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:50 PM

2002 E55 AMG
Yes maintenance should be comparable to the e320 aside from a few AMG specific parts. As for the front rotors, theres a few members on here that will guide you to the right place when that time comes. I had a link saved that a member showed me but lost it. Total for all 4 disc and pads was right around $900 on that website. Dealer will be much more. Also make sure to get a pre purchase inspection
Old 04-29-2015, 04:30 AM

2001 E55 AMG
Yup, like they stated, keep fluids fresh. This car is supposedly on its original engine and transmission. I had to replace a few things, but none of it has been real hard or expensive. I did my spring perch for 80 dollars using oem parts, oil seals on the cooler and filter housing, a rear window regulator, and just did my right rear wheel bearing. The bearing was the most expensive as I had it done at a shop.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:35 AM

2001 E55 AMG
For what its worth as well, my car has been raced a good portion of its life. I found slips from Road America in it, it had a speed shop decal on the side window, I also found racing style driving gloves in the trunk lol.. one of the receipts was dated 06 I think? I race it as well, drag racing, and one novice drifting event. These cars are built VERY well.