Sponsored by:

Inexpensive Equal Length Headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
Inexpensive Equal Length Headers

So I am doubling-down on my 200,000 mile E55. I love this car. Best I've ever owned. Nothing wrong with it after all these miles. Still fun. Got the x-pipe, and 2nd cat delete but I think there's a lot of power to uncork from the exhaust manifolds.

I've dealt with shorties on other cars and they change the power band, sometimes not in a good way since you are changing the sync-timing and speed of the exhaust pulses. You cannot go wrong with equal length. Since I am looking at replacing the primary cats anyway and doing the spark plugs, its the perfect time to slip in some headers with some fabrication. I do not mind putting in something like the Kleeman or Supersprint that needs fabrication. I just don't want to PAY the new price for them.

Looking for alternative suggestions, Kleeman used parts, leads, etc.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55 AMG
If you go on ebay, top speed sells some for $500. They look decent and the good thing is you get to keep you primary cats. Im planning on buying some in the near future
Old 07-18-2015, 03:35 PM
ddb

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E55
Originally Posted by giovany2429
If you go on ebay, top speed sells some for $500. They look decent and the good thing is you get to keep you primary cats. Im planning on buying some in the near future
I have a set of the Top Speed headers. They are pretty rough out of the box. The flanges aren't flat, and have to be sanded to seal properly. I opted to have mine ceramic coated as well. Having said that, I don't know of any others at this price point. Mine have performed flawlessly and are a nice improvement over the stock manifolds.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55 AMG
Yes i also read about having to take them to get machined flat. Did you notice a noticeable improvment over stock? Reentech or kleemans would be nice but i dont have the option of loosing my primary cats wer i live
Old 07-19-2015, 05:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2001 E430
I don't know if anyone makes equal length headers for the W210. My Kleemann's were certainly not equal length and the newer version doesn't look equal length either. Maybe Supersprint or MBH are but those are certainly not inexpensive. I noticed you mentioned fabrication. Are you talking about taking a set of unequal length headers like Kleemann and then cutting out and replacing tubes to make them equal length? If that is the case you are probably better off money wise to just start off from scratch.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
Yeah. Perhaps another good reason to invest in a 3D Printer. I could make up the pieces and test fit them before fabricating.

I know it is space limited under there but those stock manifolds are holding some power.

One thing I tried to do was get a set of existing headers that are "close". ie for a Ford engine, etc and then do slight mods.

The problem is that no manufacturer or vendor indexes their headers by dimensions, only by application.

The only way I see to do it would be to go to a manufacturer and examine all of their products by hand.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:41 PM
ddb

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E55
Originally Posted by giovany2429
Yes i also read about having to take them to get machined flat. Did you notice a noticeable improvment over stock? Reentech or kleemans would be nice but i dont have the option of loosing my primary cats wer i live
Yes, it is noticeable, but I don't want to set your expectations too high. I think the improvement can be felt mostly in the mid range. My recollection is it took a while for the ECU to adapt before it really took off. I haven't yet done it, but a tune would be a nice addition with the headers.

Unless they are no longer available, I think Renntech has shorty W210 headers that wouldn't require you to lose your primaries.They are beautiful, but pricey. I would love to have a set, but have a problem with the price.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
00 ML55, 00' E55, 03' CLK55
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Yeah. Perhaps another good reason to invest in a 3D Printer. I could make up the pieces and test fit them before fabricating.

I know it is space limited under there but those stock manifolds are holding some power.

One thing I tried to do was get a set of existing headers that are "close". ie for a Ford engine, etc and then do slight mods.

The problem is that no manufacturer or vendor indexes their headers by dimensions, only by application.

The only way I see to do it would be to go to a manufacturer and examine all of their products by hand.
This is the same idea i had as far as taking existing shorty's and re-flanging them if the demensions and runners are close enough to make it work. Just hard to tell without having anything to reference. Id start with a junkyard or if someone has a set to start with for R&D.