Sponsored by:

2003 E55 AMG gas smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
2003 E55 AMG gas smell

Hi there. I just bought my first Mercedes about a month ago. I have Porsches and a Ferrari that I maintain myself and plan to do as much as possible to the AMG on my own. Anyway, the car is pretty cherry. Runs awesome and hasnt given me any trouble to speak of. I filled it up the other night for about the 10th time or so and got a gas smell inside the car and out. Its not overpowering but its there. I researched about looking under the rear seat. I pulled it out tonight and both sides are bone dry under each cover. There is no sign of staining and the seat foam looks and smells new. The smell got better the more I drove it and I cant see any signs of leakage on the bottom of the tank. I get a faint whiff under the hood but the supply line looks dry. Is there anywhere else thats common to leak from?I dont know if i trapped gas in the filler tube to the tank or maybe have an injector leaking a little. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
If you already checked around the fuel pump for hairline cracks (which by the way can be difficult to see with the naked eye - you really need to run the car with access to the fuel pump and spray a little water or WD40 on the area to see if it bubbles while pressurized), I might also recommend checking the fuel lines running to the fuel filter. While I have not personally experienced this, when I had my 2004 SRT6 the fuel lines feeding the fuel filter were corroded and one actually burst on me.

Gas dries very quickly so it can be difficult to catch unless you check immediately after driving, and even then if it is a small leak it could even dry while you're driving. My bet is on the fuel pump in the fuel tank having a hair line crack. Experienced this exact same symptom you describe with my sister-in-laws Volvo S90 of comparable vintage and it was a hairline crack in one of the two fuel pumps sitting in the fuel tank under the rear seat.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
You have a W211 so wrong section. Check the follow thread about gas leak.
You should cover by Mercedes USA.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...m-repairs.html