Sponsored by:

New Owner Intro

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 E55, 2003 ML500
New Owner Intro

Hi all, My name is Andy. I just picked up a 2002 E55 2 weekends ago, I've been lurking on here for a bit and finding lots of search info through Google directing back to this site. Figured now that I'm officially an AMG owner it would be a good time to intro myself. I live on the Central Coast of California.

The car is mostly stock, which is how I want to keep it! Someone welded in a Magnaflow and deleted the resonator, not totally sure how I like it. Looks like the guy also changed the factory HID's for aftermarket projectors...I still have the HID's and he just taped over the plugs to the ballasts. Should I put the HID's back in?

I am sure it's come up before, but is there a decent print copy workshop manual, or is it all DVD based? I had a Bentley for my Mini Cooper S, is there an equivalent for the Benz? I've been Googling it, but keep coming up with old threads/dead links/scammy looking 'data download' sites and such.

Pictures below, I'll be asking plenty of questions I'm sure. The Multicontour seats are non-op right now, so that should be fun to trouble shoot.
Attached Thumbnails New Owner Intro-img_2736.jpg   New Owner Intro-img_2735.jpg   New Owner Intro-img_2733.jpg   New Owner Intro-img_2760.jpg  
Old 08-12-2016, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Welcome and congrats on buying a great car!

The magnaflow x pipe and resonator delete is kinda like a mod-repair in some cases. The car had 4 cats and sometimes the rear cats rattles and many opt to remove the resonator and cats for 2 reasons, one for sound and exhaust breathability which helps performance slightly and two, the cost to get oem cats is silly to replace. If you dont like the sound, it may help to have a resonator reinstalled.

The light output on most all projectors is scattered, Many will go in and mod the light by replacing the projector with either OEM W211 E55, Maxima, GX35, RS6 or other more intricate projectors for insane light output with laser cut off. That mod is not a snap of the finger but will greatly improve the light output.

For a hard copy of the manual, eBay is your best bet otherwise here you go

All our seats fail. It is the last item on my list to fix. Usually the plumbing pipes and bladder bags are the culprit.

If you bought with out service records, a transmission fluid exchange is your priority.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:09 PM

2002 E55, 2003 ML500
Thanks, I found the pdf of the owners manual, I was referring to an actual workshop repair manual (I do most of my own service and maintenance). Trans service is scheduled for next week, they'll be double checking the alignment as well since I found one tie rod end that needs replacement. The PO actually serviced quite a few parts, but I'll get it the rest of the way. This one is a keeper, a real future classic family hauler.

No complaints about the lights swapped in, they are pretty bright. Got a link to some of the mods you were talking about? Curious to see what's involved. I might put the factory HID's back, but the lenses are a little chipped up and it looks like a lot of work.

Regarding the exhaust I was mostly just bummed the work looks quick and dirty, not fitting for the caliber of the car IMO. Makes perfect sense about the cats, primary driver side was replaced at some point, but all 4 cats are still there. The X was added after to delete the resonator. My friend and I will probably tig weld a new setup with nicer looking X and a Borla muffler that is slightly larger and quieter than the Magnaflow in there.

Appreciate the welcome!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
I bought my copy of the Electronic Parts Catalog and WIS (repair instructional) from eBay. I bought one for Mac which uses a Virtual Machine. It has updated part numbers and virtually all repairs. That combined with the forum knowledge over multiple forums provides a pretty through method for DIY.

There are a bunch of different topics here. Search Depo Retrofit to begin!
The following users liked this post:
v8sonly (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 02:41 PM

2002 E55, 2003 ML500
Excellent! It has the Depo brand lenses swapped on already, so I'll do some further reading on the subject.

Thanks for the tip on the WIS, did it show up on a DVD then? most of what I've found through Google was that pay to access online subscription crap. With my Mini, you could just buy a hardcover Bentley manual that had nearly every procedure illustrated in it.