AFE Pro Dry S 31-10084 Warranty Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
AFE Pro Dry S 31-10084 Warranty Experience

About a week ago I contacted AFE in regards to a question I had concerning filter fitment. What I discovered was that after 3 years of ownership I noticed the filter did not fill in the housing inside the airbox. It was most apparent when I inserted an OEM MANN filter side by side. The gap between the edge and the actual filter was almost a quarter inch which you can reach into the box. Note I can not tell airflow degradation after this period of time and is not my complaint nor is he filter abused or unmaintained. I contacted support to initially let them know what I have discovered really to see their thoughts to which I will share the response back and forth.

When I initially contacted them you have to register for an account and you have the opportunity to submit your concern and pics. The automated email stated that there would be a response in 1 business day however I did not hear anything back for 2 days so I followed up.

I then received a response of saying that the filter is not supported in my 2001 application with a reference to their page showing it being compatible with the 98-99 W210 AMG and that their "filters will not shrink to that extent if at all".

My response was that the AMG uses the same engine across a few platforms and the 98-99 W210 has the same part numbers for the airbox as the 2000-2002 which is verifiable through Mercedes-Benz. I also was a little surprised that they simply discounted the seemingly shrinking of the rubber filter without even looking at it and comparing it to a new one. They did not even ask a question, it was a denial statement. For now, this is where it stands.

According to the site, the next step is I will have to ship it on my own dime if I get an RA and essentially there is no guarantees to anything nor will I see it again if they still find a reason to deny the claim.

Ball is in their court now.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
When I got my MANN filters they almost seemed too big because I had to squeeze the rubber part a little to get them to seat properly.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:47 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I would never buy from a company who don't stand behind their products.
It's clearly filter is way to short to fill up the filter compartment.
meaning dust and other malicious particles can pass between gap.

is that almost an inch of a gap miscalculated from manufacturing this filter?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
As an update no response from AFE after my response. I wonder if this will be a business day each time correspondence is sent back. Ill follow up by close of business if no response.

@ illest- Yes mine fit tight too though the material is much different that the AFE. I understand why it is that way and the foam is more malleable thus creating the tighter fit.

@kolwalski- I will say that in the beginning, the Pro Dry S filter was tough to get in. I obviously left the Pro Dry S out since they are useless in this form and the damage that could be caused from particles entering the engine could be severe. The picture shows the filter aligned full left and the gap is about ¼" at the top, but the design steps in and down thus allowing no protection.

I am disappointed in the company but not surprised by any means. I would expect a company that is in business for performance enhancement of vehicles to have an interest as to why this is happening. Could it be the material used? How can we make the product better or is this a one time occurrence?

I have my own theory why this is happening and would like to share but so far the communication, which is the foundation of business success especially with customers, is simply being discounted.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
do this company offer lifetime warranty on their products or not.

maybe you got a lemon?
wudd be a good thing if other AFE owners on this forum chimed in confirming if it's the same issue with their filters
Old 02-09-2017, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
I did receive a response today going to the next step.

It does offer a lifetime limited warranty on the Pro Dry S.

Mainly I would like for anyone to be sure this isn't happening to their cars which could potentially cause damage by not filtering the inducted air. I'll let aFe decide if its a lemon
Old 04-22-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 E55, 2003 ML500
Updates?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
e55
Interested as well
Old 04-24-2017, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 E55, 2008 E63
Finally pulled the trigger on a set so I'm interested as well.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
Sorry for the suspense!!

One of the first things I had to overcome was getting aFe to accept that my airbox in my 01 was the same as a 98-99 airbox which is what they said is the only box the filter fits. Initially they said that they would not honor the warranty because my year was not supported as compatible according to their website. When you send an email to them you'll get a rep and mine came with this defensive stance and denial that all the photographs showing the aFe fitment in the box vs Mann was possible. I sent my rebuttal and proof that the airbox had the same part number in the w210 and the engine was used across a couple of platforms. I actually called before I bought them a few years ago to verify as well but of course I cant prove that.

They finally agreed to replace, but what annoyed me was my rep still threw in a jab in saying, they will honor a replacement even though they know for a fact they do not work for my application.

Warranty claim is supposed to be a branch of customer service from a company not a debate on expertise. Besides how are they going to know more than me on my car!!! Im an enthusiast! lol I was not looking for anything free nor was I making this up which is why I sent pics. I wanted to help them see a potential problem even though I am sure there are not tons of sales from such a rare model like ours, but still, maybe the material could be improved on other models.

I then received an email to confirm some shipping info and a week later I had replacements. Sent over before and after pics which obviously showed the difference in the box. I then went through a few more questions in the next days such as if I was placing the filters in correctly etc. Changing my oil and filters on my own like many of you, I would say there is only one way that you can change air filters ( of course they probably dont know that)

I received a call afterwards and it was more apologetic and friendly. I explained my point and he said that they were interested in seeing the old filters, sent me a return label and thanked me for my claim.

In he end it worked out and Im happy. My thoughts are that these filters can suffer from degradation from heat since these sit atop of our engine ovens and from living in hot Texas. I think the filters do breathe a little better with the Pro Dry S, just keep your eye on the fitment to prevent sandblasting, clean them as they recommend and let them dry out completely before reinstallation.

Once my OEM filter get dirty, Ill give them another shot

or follow ddb's intake set up
Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Filter Fitment

Interesting. That gap is huge! What is your airbox filter part #?

I just checked my aFe filters & one of them has a small gap as well. One side does not but it's very close, wtf..these aren't exactly budget filters.

Airbox # A 113 090 01 01
aFe filter #31-10084

Now, I've never had any problems with these filters & they are in a custom airbox with no mesh at the MAF, but this fitment is unacceptable.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
The same part numbers as yours for both. Mine were about 3 years old and they exhibited characteristics of bowing in the middle of the filter which is what causes the gap like in your pic.

The one thing I wish I could test is whether the airflow has degraded the same way.

Let me say they initially fit relatively well however the material on the Mann is more of a foam where you have to squeeze into the airbox so the lip covers the entire area. The Pro Dry S is a more durable rubber but I feel the lip does not extend far enough.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Ok, so I should expect it to get worse.. I've had these installed for about 2.5 years now & I never noticed the gap before. I will contact aFe & see what they say.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
If you are in San Diego, I would say that the temps and humidity are not as extreme as they are here in Texas to cause the material to contract as much. Simply keep your eye after each oil change/filter inspection.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 E55, 2008 E63
Ugh I assume that means mine will love Houston.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
I'm in the H too. I was definitely surprised when I discovered it and only noticed it chasing a p0173. Keep an eye on it each oil change!
Old 05-07-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 E55, 2003 ML500
Thanks for the update! I pulled the K&N's out that came with my car, maybe I'll order up a set of these for dropping in from time to time to see how they work out. I put Mann's in and they felt a tiny bit softer power wise than the K&N's, but that could purely be placebo too.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Current: 00 e55 6 speed wagon, 99 e55, 00 ml55, 02 m3, 83 ur quattro
I hesitantly ordered these AFE filters for my car in April of last year after reading this thread, and after about 30k miles my filters have done the exact same thing. They are almost half an inch narrower than the stock filters now. I emailed the company and I am hoping they will be replaced, but I am just trying to warn anyone thinking about purchasing. Not what you would expect from filters that are $70 each
Old 10-10-2018, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
Don't give up is my advice.

I may switch to a set up like forum member ddb where the filters are on the side of the engine similar thought like the w211. I think the immense heat from the air intake manifold wears down the integrity of the rubber and causes it to shrink. If you wash them like they instruct make sure they are bone dry when they go back in. I put mine in front of a fan then reinstall.

Brand new they are fantastic. Ill monitor mine but expect no longer than 2 years

Good Luck!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:04 AM

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Current: 00 e55 6 speed wagon, 99 e55, 00 ml55, 02 m3, 83 ur quattro
Originally Posted by Tall Giraffe
Don't give up is my advice.

I may switch to a set up like forum member ddb where the filters are on the side of the engine similar thought like the w211. I think the immense heat from the air intake manifold wears down the integrity of the rubber and causes it to shrink. If you wash them like they instruct make sure they are bone dry when they go back in. I put mine in front of a fan then reinstall.

Brand new they are fantastic. Ill monitor mine but expect no longer than 2 years

Good Luck!
Thank you! I got replacement filters from AFE within 3 days after sending pictures. Very good customer service
Old 10-15-2018, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 OMG
Congrats! Mine was about a 2 week battle till they finally agreed to replace mine. Still in the end they did the right thing and I commend them for doing so.