Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent Changes

Old 11-05-2016, 08:09 AM
ddb

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 E55
Recent Changes

One of the first things I did to my car after purchasing it 3.5 years ago was to replace the OE shocks with Koni Sport Yellows. I set them on the softest setting and was happy with the ride and handling. Later, I added Vogtland lowering springs which stiffened the ride. It wasn't terrible, but I increasingly desired a softer ride. I thought Koni FSD's would be a good fit, but was unsuccessful finding a set. So after some research I ordered a set of Bilstein B8 Sport shocks. The part number for the fronts: 24-062046, and the rears: 24-062053.

Recent Changes-1477846928608.jpg

Recent Changes-1477846928980.jpg

I've only driven the car less than 100 miles with the new shocks. I have an opinion, but need more miles to be sure (I'm going to drive it all next week). My initial thoughts are the ride is marginally better, with less sharp bounciness that I felt with the Konis. What I didn't expect, is the Bilstein handling appears to be better than the Konis (when set on the softest setting). So the Bilsteins may be a nice compromise. They are designed for lowered vehicles.

The Koni Adjustables are no doubt great shocks, especially if you want to tune their stiffness to your exact liking, or change them for track use, etc. I just didn't have any desire to change the setting after installing them. Once I had the Bilsteins on order, I removed the rear trunk liner exposing the upper, rear shock mounts in preparation for installing the new shocks. Since I had access, one day I decided to stiffen the shocks for the first time just to experience their range. I cranked all four shocks from the softest setting to the stiffest setting. I think I made it less than an eighth of a mile before turning around and placing them back to the softest setting. The range is impressive, but there is no way I could drive around on the street with anything other than the softest setting.

The Koni adjustables were on the car for approximately 3.5 years and 7,000 miles. Yea, I haven't driven the car a lot since purchasing it (more on that later). If anyone is interested in the used shocks let me know. I haven't come up with a price yet but if there is interest I'm sure we can work something out. The used Koni Sport Yellow adjustables:

Recent Changes-1477846928333.jpg

Recent Changes-1477846927649.jpg

Another early mod was installing a set of Top Speed headers. I recently replaced them with a new set of Renntech shorty headers. While switching out the headers, I also installed a new set of Corteco W211 engine mounts. I had previously installed a set of W210 mounts, that were still in good shape, but decided to switch them out while changing the headers for a couple of reasons. If you haven't removed the OE exhaust manifolds, it helps to jack up the motor to gain access to the bolts. So while jacking up the motor for header bolt access, I decided to change out the mounts at the same time. The W211 mounts are said to be stiffer, and longer lasting. My hope is they will last a long time and help prevent any cracking issues with the headers.

Recent Changes-1473200689669.jpg

Recent Changes-1473200690177.jpg

I also installed a cold air intake system. While it is not as elegant looking as the OE airbox, it is certainly functional. My main goal was overcoming the bottleneck created in the OE setup where the air leaves the box heading to the throttle body. I felt like the airflow wasn't as linear as it could be in high throttle situations.

Recent Changes-1477848498812.jpg

While installing the CAI, I was right at the throttle body so I decided to remove it and clean it. If you plan on doing the same, order the o-ring gasket that sits between the TB and the intake manifold. The old gasket will fall apart on you when removing it. Be careful to get all of the old gasket removed before reinstalling the new gasket and clean TB.

Recent Changes-1477848499303.jpg

Recent Changes-1477848499825.jpg

Recent Changes-1477849036969.jpg

Recent Changes-1477848500456.jpg

Recent Changes-1477848501520.jpg

Recent Changes-1477848501002.jpg

All I can say is the throttle response and performance is considerably better with the headers, CAI and freshly cleaned throttle body.

One of the reasons I haven't driven my car as much since owning it is I miss some of the conveniences in my daily driver. Mainly satellite radio, Bluetooth phone, and NAV. So I finally got around to replacing the COMAND with a modern double din unit.

Recent Changes-1478126611740.jpg

I reused the OE #3 spring pads when I installed the Vogtland springs a couple of years ago. The front always sat a bit higher than the rear. So I finally decided to change the front pads to lower it a bit. I installed a set of #1 pads, but the rear then looked too high in relation to the front. I then installed a set of #2 pads in the front and finally got the look I wanted. I wasn't looking for the slammed look, but just a lowered look.

Recent Changes-1478037837982.jpg

Recent Changes-1478037837472.jpg

Recent Changes-1478126612283.jpg

Three and half years later I love driving this car more and more each day!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Great write up. I haven't seen much of you lately on board but it looks like you've been busy modding instead! I have always felt that the best stance is #2 pad in the front in #1 pad in the rear when lowering with springs and shocks. That was going to be my strategy once I decided to lower my car. You may recall sometime back I was looking at those adjustable coil overs but I was really worried about not having the vendor local and having problems. My indie races with Koni but always suggests Bilstien.

Any source for that Intake or was that on the fly?

Whats the difference in header? Selling the old ones? I may be interested.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:52 AM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by Tall Giraffe
Great write up. I haven't seen much of you lately on board but it looks like you've been busy modding instead! I have always felt that the best stance is #2 pad in the front in #1 pad in the rear when lowering with springs and shocks. That was going to be my strategy once I decided to lower my car. You may recall sometime back I was looking at those adjustable coil overs but I was really worried about not having the vendor local and having problems. My indie races with Koni but always suggests Bilstien.

Any source for that Intake or was that on the fly?

Whats the difference in header? Selling the old ones? I may be interested.
Hey TG,

At times I don't have the desire to work on the car. Then I get in the mood to do so and try to get as much done as possible.

I was interested in those coilovers as well. They offer a lot of adjustability. I was afraid they may be harsher than I preferred in their softest settings. I tend to think of coilovers in general as great handling pieces without any ride comfort attributes. But I know that's not the case. The Bilsteins appear to be a better fit for my current needs. I'm not opposed to trying something else in the future. I wish I could find a new set of Koni FSD's to try.

I reached out to a vendor, www.needswings.com, for the CAI. He had kits for a lot of models, but not ours. So I worked with the owner, Rob, and put it together. I had to do some customizing on it to get it to fit correctly, but it was a great experience from start to finish.

The Top Speed headers, from what I understand, are copies of a header (AMS) designed and sold by a guy that used to frequent these boards. IMO, they are a huge improvement over the OE manifolds, as far as performance. They do leave a lot to be desired in the quality department. The flanges aren't flat, and have to be sanded to get them to seal properly. They are really rough inside, which is what you don't want since you are trying to promote smooth airflow. I had mine ceramic coated which helped tremendously. The Renntech headers are a better design with great quality. The downside is they are expensive, and hard to find. I wouldn't own a set if I hadn't found a deal of a lifetime. I wish we had more options with regards to headers. There is so little room to work with, especially on the driver's side. They are frustrating to remove and replace.

If you are really interested in them, I'm sure we can work out a deal. The ceramic coating is flaking off in areas, and they don't look as nice as they once did, but they are still in good shape. They've never leaked or cracked. The gaskets are rather thick as needed due to the flange variability. I will include them with the headers. But I would prefer to use a new set. Maybe Top Speed would provide a set. You have the first right of refusal.

ddb
Old 11-06-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'99 E55t AMG
So...where's your airfilter?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:46 AM
ddb

2002 E55
Hey IanB - they are inline filters.

Recent Changes-1478446347207.jpg

Originally Posted by IanB
So...where's your airfilter?
Old 11-06-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'99 E55t AMG
I wondered if that's what was going on, but I've never seen ones like that before. Any pics from before they were installed? Can you clean them, or do you replace that whole section periodically?
Old 11-06-2016, 11:03 AM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by IanB
I wondered if that's what was going on, but I've never seen ones like that before. Any pics from before they were installed? Can you clean them, or do you replace that whole section periodically?
I should've taken some pics before installing them, but failed to do so. The incoming air runs into the filter which is cone shaped. Yes, I believe they are washable/reusable, but I'm not 100% sure. I will replace them at some frequency because I don't care to go through the washing, re-oiling process.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55 AMG, 2004 Big Turbo A4; 2005 C240 Wagon 4matic; 2001 ML430
Originally Posted by ddb
I should've taken some pics before installing them, but failed to do so. The incoming air runs into the filter which is cone shaped. Yes, I believe they are washable/reusable, but I'm not 100% sure. I will replace them at some frequency because I don't care to go through the washing, re-oiling process.

Keep an eye on your MAF functionality; the filters that use oiled media to trap particles have a tendency to foul out MAFs.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Looking good! I currently have Bilstein sports and they're kinda of stiff for my liking. Can anybody speak from experience if the Konis are softer than the Bilstein Sports?
Old 11-07-2016, 08:02 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by NAFT1
Keep an eye on your MAF functionality; the filters that use oiled media to trap particles have a tendency to foul out MAFs.
Thanks, will do. I was running K&N filters in the OE box, and have used BMC filters in previous cars. Thus far I've had good luck with them. I know it's defeating the purpose of a reusable filter, but I choose to just replace them versus washing/re-oiling them.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:08 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
Looking good! I currently have Bilstein sports and they're kinda of stiff for my liking. Can anybody speak from experience if the Konis are softer than the Bilstein Sports?
I agree with you, I would prefer a softer shock as well. Each day I drive the car I'm convinced the B8's are softer than the Koni adjustables in their softest setting. I too would like others that have experienced both to comment.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
did you feel any difference with the new headers?
Old 11-07-2016, 09:00 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by sick430
did you feel any difference with the new headers?
Honestly, it is difficult to say. I know you're not supposed to do make multiple changes at once (if you want to determine the effectiveness of each). But I didn't care. I did install the headers first, but didn't drive the car much before installing the CAI and cleaning the TB. I can say the cumulative effect is extraordinary. The car is so much fun to drive.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
What springs are you running desired_speeds?
Old 11-08-2016, 02:29 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by ddb
I agree with you, I would prefer a softer shock as well. Each day I drive the car I'm convinced the B8's are softer than the Koni adjustables in their softest setting. I too would like others that have experienced both to comment.
While not on an E55, I tried Koni on their softest settings & my B8s feel even softer/more comfortable on my C43.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1999 E55 AMG, 2004 Big Turbo A4; 2005 C240 Wagon 4matic; 2001 ML430
Originally Posted by ddb
Thanks, will do. I was running K&N filters in the OE box, and have used BMC filters in previous cars. Thus far I've had good luck with them. I know it's defeating the purpose of a reusable filter, but I choose to just replace them versus washing/re-oiling them.

They do flow well. I used an AEM dry reusable cone (made by K&N, actually) on my A4 and it worked quite well, too. It has a TD05H60G turbo making about 450bhp at max boost; I just swirled the filter in some soapy water, hosed it down, shook it off, and put it back on. It uses the airflow to generate an electrostatic charge on the media instead of relying on the oil to trap particulates. Outside of plugs and coils, that was probably the only easy maintenance on that car, which is why I sold it.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ddb
schtock eüropean AMG/Bilstein shox are harsh and firm, mine were still very good at approx 90.000km's B4 I replaced them with Koni Yellow shock

Originally Posted by eFifty5AMG
While not on an E55, I tried Koni on their softest settings & my B8s feel even softer/more comfortable on my C43.
Hey Hayden
It's too bad you didn't like your Koni's!
When you asked me for advise B4 buying the Koni's I gave you my opinion what I liked about them with my Vogtland springs.
My info was just an opinion from my driving experiance.
Maybe you are used to smooth and comfortable driving?
The C43 is a sporty car, I think the C43 deserves a stiffer performance rather than having a suspension like a 70's water bed Cadillac.
European version of BMW M3 is a lot stiffer and people loves this car, I find it strange why people complaint about C43 with Koni's?
BMW was a drivers car where the C43 was a gentleman's racer with both luxury and sprty performance, both are two different cars.

I have absolutely no complaints about my suspension, I absolutely löev it!!
But dats me, I like sporty suspension.

Roads in the US are they smooth tarmac or are they noisy roads?
Wide sport tires with V-thread pattern are very noisy on non smooth tarmac.
I had the Good Year Eagle V-pattern tires many years ago, tires fooked my ears and driving me crazy hearing the road noise.
I will never buy V-pattern tires again!!

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 11-08-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:00 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by eFifty5AMG
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-08-2016, 08:05 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by NAFT1
They do flow well. I used an AEM dry reusable cone (made by K&N, actually) on my A4 and it worked quite well, too. It has a TD05H60G turbo making about 450bhp at max boost; I just swirled the filter in some soapy water, hosed it down, shook it off, and put it back on. It uses the airflow to generate an electrostatic charge on the media instead of relying on the oil to trap particulates. Outside of plugs and coils, that was probably the only easy maintenance on that car, which is why I sold it.
I've never owned a forced induction vehicle. They sound like a lot of fun to mod.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:12 PM
ddb

2002 E55
Originally Posted by kowalski
schtock eüropean AMG/Bilstein shox are harsh and firm, mine were still very good at approx 90.000km's B4 I replaced them with Koni Yellow shock
Did you ever try the konis on the softest setting? If so, how did your stock shocks compare to the Konis?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:00 AM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ddb
Did you ever try the konis on the softest setting? If so, how did your stock shocks compare to the Konis?
honestly, I have never tried the softest settings and I think that I will never do?

schtok factory shox were stiff with eüro version AMG springs, everytime I pass a bridge and pass the uneven bridge section between metal bar and tarmac, I could feel the slam dunk in my drivers seat from my AMG/Bilsteins.

It's the same with my Koni's and Vogtlands, it's a slam dunk
I don't regret this purchase!!
Next time I have to re-new my suspension parts, I will buy the same parts again and again!

Last edited by KJI3jflarryfe93; 11-09-2016 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Tall Giraffe
What springs are you running desired_speeds?
I have Kleemann springs with bilstein sports. Roads here are terrible and getting progressively worse and due to that, the car gets driven less. I would be happy to trade suspension setups with someone.

Last edited by desired_speeds; 11-10-2016 at 02:37 AM.