Sponsored by:

ATL_E55's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W210 E55
Originally Posted by dfreret
Engine and Trans mounts can be done without a lift in < 2 hours.
What's really strange is that I was up under the car last night feeling around the engine mounts and the rubber is freaking solid! I couldn't find any leaks from either engine mount. However, there is some semi-dried fluid from an old mount near a support/brace. The previous owner said the engine mounts were replaced. So I figure the shop i took to is lying out their ***. Somewhat concerning since it's a high-end German repair shop for Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, and others
Old 09-29-2020, 04:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
2001 E55 AMG, 2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ATL_E55
What's really strange is that I was up under the car last night feeling around the engine mounts and the rubber is freaking solid! I couldn't find any leaks from either engine mount. However, there is some semi-dried fluid from an old mount near a support/brace. The previous owner said the engine mounts were replaced. So I figure the shop i took to is lying out their ***. Somewhat concerning since it's a high-end German repair shop for Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, and others
You can test this your self. Pop the hood. Start car, hold foot on brake, put in drive while still holding brake, rev the engine. If you see the engine have excessive movement, you'll need mounts.

Mind you these mounts SUCK. I've done them twice in 60k miles over about 8 years.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
That and another sign is vibration in drive like at a drive through or stop light. Switched back into neutral, the vibrations go away. When sorted and without any exhaust mods it should be smooth and quiet.

It's possible that the German shop only visually inspected instead of doing manual tests dfreret and I suggested. Quicker money to be made or maybe an oversight.

I still had residue from my first mount change that I paid an indie to change. This last time I did them with a floor jack and cleaned the old goo myself.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:50 PM

W210 E55
Originally Posted by dfreret
You can test this your self. Pop the hood. Start car, hold foot on brake, put in drive while still holding brake, rev the engine. If you see the engine have excessive movement, you'll need mounts.

Mind you these mounts SUCK. I've done them twice in 60k miles over about 8 years.
Replaced the transmission mount this past weekend and my vibration while in gear at a full stop is SO MUCH BETTER!!

I did perform the engine mount test by standing on brake and have someone record the engine. It definitely looks like a bad mount now as well.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:56 PM

W210 E55
Another issue that I have been trying to track down is an engine whine while above 2,000 RPM. It almost sounds like a bad pulley somewhere but I have removed the serpentine belt and ran the car for 60 seconds and it's still whining. See below video. I am trying to figure if the previous owner replaced crankshaft pulley with the wrong part number. The correct crankshaft pulley goes for $497 and from dealing with previous owner I am almost sure they went cheap bought an off brand or incorrect one for the car.