Sponsored by:

Just picked up a 99 E55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 E55 AMG
Just picked up a 99 E55 AMG

Just bought what I thought was the cheapest W210 E55 in the country but then I saw a thread for another one somebody bought for $2,300 that looks in better condition than mine and now I'm sad.

Couple of questions though and I've seen some answers here and there on this form and YouTube

Right before I bought the car the battery died. Now it appears my windows are jerking on the way up and it sounds like I need to do a soft touch to reset? So that is slightly depressing the window button all the way down and then slightly depressing the button to go up to re-sync the express feature is that right?

Also, my drivers side power seat buttons are all out of whack. Reverse moves forward, forward moves it down. I need to unplug the harness under the seat but any other tips there?

I have a service due now light on and I tried to reset by putting the key in position 2 and pressing the zero button twice then key off, hold down zero button and turn on key, hold button for 10 seconds but that doesn't seem to work? One other light I have on is a bad lamp light. I swapped in a new bulb in the passenger tail light but need help resetting that. Last thing I can think of is I found the radio code in the owners booklets but when I put it in it doesn't work. Any tips other than to go to local dealer for code?

I think that's it for now. My front seats (two tone black/white) are pretty shot so if anyone has any please let me know.

The following users liked this post:
Low C230 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 983 Likes on 765 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Soft touch down to limit of travel, then hard touch for five seconds or so. Repeat in the other direction of travel. FWIW, the last time I replaced the battery, the rear windows reprogrammed for auto close/open but the front windows would not despite multiple attempts. About three weeks later, suddenly they were working fine. <shrug>

Lots of bulbs to check:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post7726475

Seat switch in the door may need to be replaced. Go to Pelican Parts Tech article section. That did the trick for my passenger seat. Be sure to purchase 4-8 small C-clamps, industrial adhesive and the plastic "pegs" that mount the door panel to the door. As old as these cars are, the plastic mounts will pull off the panel and the pieces can/will separate so plan ahead on fixing the door panel.

The reset service sometimes takes several attempts. I've had it work first try and also had to make multiple attempts over two days.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by HWG09
Just bought what I thought was the cheapest W210 E55 in the country but then I saw a thread for another one somebody bought for $2,300 that looks in better condition than mine and now I'm sad.

Couple of questions though and I've seen some answers here and there on this form and YouTube

Right before I bought the car the battery died. Now it appears my windows are jerking on the way up and it sounds like I need to do a soft touch to reset? So that is slightly depressing the window button all the way down and then slightly depressing the button to go up to re-sync the express feature is that right?

Also, my drivers side power seat buttons are all out of whack. Reverse moves forward, forward moves it down. I need to unplug the harness under the seat but any other tips there?

I have a service due now light on and I tried to reset by putting the key in position 2 and pressing the zero button twice then key off, hold down zero button and turn on key, hold button for 10 seconds but that doesn't seem to work? One other light I have on is a bad lamp light. I swapped in a new bulb in the passenger tail light but need help resetting that. Last thing I can think of is I found the radio code in the owners booklets but when I put it in it doesn't work. Any tips other than to go to local dealer for code?

I think that's it for now. My front seats (two tone black/white) are pretty shot so if anyone has any please let me know.
it’s the seat switch itself in the door that gets worn inside and makes things go backwards of what you want. You can pop it off into the passenger compartment, without taking off the door panel. You just want to be careful not to crack the wood or put indentations into the vinyl surround. It’ll be tight since it’s probably never been off. You can play it safe and go the door panel route, but that can open a fresh can of worms.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:13 PM

1999 E55 AMG
Quick update. My windows are working correctly and I got the service light to reset. Still have to tackle these faulty lamps as well. Swapped new air filters in today and added a new lower engine cover so looking much better. Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
W210 E55T
In my experience the power seat and steering wheel controls need to be reset just like the windows and sunroof. However they are prone to corrosion due to their location. You may get away with spraying some electronics parts cleaner in switch. If that doesn't work the remove the door panel. That will give you clear access the back of the switch and circuit board.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:48 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
W210 E55T
I recommend transmission fluid flush with new filter and connector plug. You don't have to use the OEM fluid.
Proper synthetic 0 or 5w-40 oil. Yes it makes a difference. I tried cheaping out on dino oil. The speed of discoloration was amazing. PS oil change and filter and brake fluid change.
When I rebuilt my caliper I could see some corrosion starting on the piston.
Then coolant and water pump.
Tail lights are not the best designed.
Pull the rear bumpers and look for rust.
These cars are the bullet proof, reliable, fast enough and stealthy enough, when cared for.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:10 PM

1999 E55 AMG
Another issue really bugging me is the ignition switch is loose. It looks like there's a bezel that fits around the ignition that is missing. I found a few in the glovebox but not sure how they fit on there. When I insert the key it moves around quite a bit. Anyone fixed this before?

Also, my front seats (two tone black/white) are pretty shot. Anyone have any decent seats or leather skins other than what's on ebay?