W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60

can you still smoke the tires off the line?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday | 02:22 PM

2003 Corvette Z06, 1999 E55 AMG
can you still smoke the tires off the line?

Question for everyone. I have a 99 E55, has 180,000km (roughly 111,000 miles), runs great, etc but it seems to lack the power off the line..... I bought the car 3 years ago and I have not changed the spark plugs and I assume they are the originals.... Does everyone who owns a w210 e55, can you get the back end loose and smoke the tires off the line? I assume when I change the plugs and the wires next spring that will make a difference but wanted to check. Every review I've watched, or the old motoring reviews, all have the back end going squirlly from a stop. Not that I drive it hard at all, but it would be still nice knowing you have that power at your disposal. Thanks.
Old Yesterday | 03:24 PM

W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
If your car has the OE plugs....it has had derelict owners. Including you.
Old Yesterday | 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
If your car has the OE plugs....it has had derelict owners. Including you.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Not sure if the car has OE plugs. That being said you need to get a life, how big of a loser do you have to be to troll someone on a forum, behind a keyboard?
old man and his car as your name is, says it all.
GFY
Old Yesterday | 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
With ESP engaged, only intermittent spinning of the rear tires (primarily the passenger-side rear). With ESP off, yes, you can reliably burn the passenger-side rear but for what purpose? It's a open differential. The W210 ESP is very rudimentary (first few times I experienced it I though something was wrong with the car) compared to new ESP versions. Having said that, with ESP disengaged, I did manage on one occasion to get the car sideways. Oops! My bad... I now leave it engaged.

As far as plugs go, pull one and take a look at it. If you change plugs and wires yourself, allocate two and a half hours and be sure to have the MB spark plug boot tool and the swivel spark plug socket. Use compressed air to blow out the spark plug wells to remove dirt and sand and use Bosch plugs from a reliable dealer. You'll need to swing the coil packs out of the way; be sure to check the connectors and wires for breaks in the insulation. No Ebay or Amazon plugs and no "special sales price" plugs! Counterfeit plugs get mixed with the OEM supplier plugs. I got caught by that one time; never again. I was pulling and replacing plugs after ~26,000 miles and the counterfeit plugs all opened up spark gap from the installed 0.039" to 0.060" or greater after only ~26,000 miles.

FWIW, my Canadian-spec '99 E55 has over 288,000 kilometers on it, still has impressive power, and is my "go-to" car for 500-mile road trips. Don't forget to check your air filters as well; that's another one that got me once. PITA to replace (who the f**k uses that many screws on a filter box instead of snap clips?) but filters are not that expensive.

Ignore the curmudgeons who bring no value-added to the conversation. The user named "Plutoe" is a curmudgeon but he brings decades of MB technician experience to the conversation so I make it a point to read any post which he makes.
The following users liked this post:
OldManAndHisCar (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 04:36 PM

W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Bbirdwell - lots of great info here, from dozens of members....that said "burn outs" can be had with a 99 WS6 more so than ANY Mercedes ever made let alone 99 E55 (if you are mad at your tires).

Not exactly a litmus test for engine issues....the good ol burn out....
Old Yesterday | 04:37 PM

Much appreciated! I will be doing the plugs, wires, coil packs over the winter up here in Calgary, Canada. Was just more curious because I know these 210 E55's are capable of really breaking the rear loose from a stop, and mine seems a tad sluggish, still runs strong, etc. I did change all the filters this year as well.
Enjoy the rest of your week and thanks again.
Old Yesterday | 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
No need to replace coil packs. Buy one or two as spares.
Also, if the tires are slipping more than about 10-15 per cent, one is not accelerating optimally. So, burnouts expensive and not conducive to fast lap times...of course, too much grip busts axles, differential gears (done that), transmission (yep, done that), clutches (sigh ..yep), driveshafts (Le big sigh...yep. At 2:00 AM XMAS morning miles from home)...
I'll go finish my bottle of very nice red wine now...