W210 E55 Lowering Lowdown ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Fast55
Chappy, you're saying that the euro spec springs are different than US spec W210 E55 springs? Shorter? stiffer? both? Do the stock Bilsteins still work with them?
As far as I know, yes (based on my W208 experience - W210 may be different). My CLK springs are shorter as they do not have to comply with U.S. bumper regulations. As far as stiffness, mine seem to ride about the same as the U.S.-spec springs. Handling has improved slightly due to a lowered center of gravity. You can also change out the springs pads at the same time if an even lowered height is desired.

Your stock dampers should work fine with the euro-spec springs as that's the way AMG designed them to originally work

The best way to find out if euro-spec applies to your car is to compare part numbers or by contacting your supplier of choice

Last edited by Chappy; 08-01-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally Posted by JamE55
Try considering Bils & H&R setup with #1 pads all around. Should do the trick. You'll probably get 1 finger gap all around.
Hey Jam, why no recommendation for the Kleemann setup? Isn't that what you are running or did you change it? If you changed, why? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E55 KEV
Hey Jam, why no recommendation for the Kleemann setup? Isn't that what you are running or did you change it? If you changed, why? Thanks.
Kevster!

Long time no talk man! You know i'd be all over recommending the "K" but this setup up is not for everyone. And reason i say that is because it's expensive. For anyone who is looking to lower their car on a budget the H&R is your best bet. If you're going all out "K" is is the best setup. Don't worry buddy i still have mine! Next set of mods is coming up! What you been up to lately? Haven't seen you post as much? Still have the beast? Any new mod?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by Chappy
As far as I know, yes (based on my W208 experience - W210 may be different). My CLK springs are shorter as they do not have to comply with U.S. bumper regulations. As far as stiffness, mine seem to ride about the same as the U.S.-spec springs. Handling has improved slightly due to a lowered center of gravity. You can also change out the springs pads at the same time if an even lowered height is desired.

Your stock dampers should work fine with the euro-spec springs as that's the way AMG designed them to originally work

The best way to find out if euro-spec applies to your car is to compare part numbers or by contacting your supplier of choice

This might be exactly what I'm looking for. I don't want a big drop or a stiffer ride, just an inch or so, and EVERYTHING I've checked out so far has been either too low, too stiff, or (usually) both.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Just wanted to concur with what JamE55 stated regarding Kleemann being the best suspension setup. I installed their suspension setup on my '02 w210 E55 and the results were great. The resulting ride is actually more comfortable (smoother) than stock and the handling is also improved! Turn in is much crisper and the car turns much flatter. You get the best of both worlds.

I don't know what spring pads I have installed on my car but the ride hide ends up being 13.75" from wheel center to fender lip on the front (1.25" drop) and 14" from wheel center to fender lip on the rear (1.00 " drop). Kleeman states that their setup should provide 1.25" drop all around but the rear is a little higher creating a slightly rake look which I like.

I understand that the Kleemann is expensive but if you are looking for a great ride / handling combination it can't be beat.

Just wanted to pass along my first hand experience.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Never ever cut your springs.
You have a Mercedes.. not a Honda.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
You have a Mercedes.. not a Honda.

No doubt.

Alright James, what's the damage (screw the budget) for the whole system (what's included?), and I know your car is lower than I want mine, so what pads are you running?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
No doubt.

Alright James, what's the damage (screw the budget) for the whole system (what's included?), and I know your car is lower than I want mine, so what pads are you running?
I think the Kleemann lowering system is 1700$.

http://www.evosport.com/product/prod...LM.SUS.M10.SH1
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kevster!

Long time no talk man! You know i'd be all over recommending the "K" but this setup up is not for everyone. And reason i say that is because it's expensive. For anyone who is looking to lower their car on a budget the H&R is your best bet. If you're going all out "K" is is the best setup. Don't worry buddy i still have mine! Next set of mods is coming up! What you been up to lately? Haven't seen you post as much? Still have the beast? Any new mod?
Jam, I can say the same for you! I've been hanging around. But I have split my forum time here and also on the 300C and Magnum forums. I got a Magnum Hemi and the ol lady has a 300C Hemi. No mods on either yet.

There is usually not much talk about the our W210 E55 any more. Which I can understand since are much fewer - only sold 500 per year for our model. I still dream about the Kleemann setup - your recommention is all I needed. Glad to see you still have it. I will pull the trigger soon especilly since my 02 factory warranty runs out in 7 months. After that it may be time for a Blower and Brake upgrades. I have number 3 spring pads all around - Let me and Fast55 know which you have. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails W210 E55 Lowering Lowdown ...-anubis-plate-new.jpg   W210 E55 Lowering Lowdown ...-chrysler_300c_9.jpg  
Old 08-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Ttsakai
Just wanted to concur with what JamE55 stated regarding Kleemann being the best suspension setup. I installed their suspension setup on my '02 w210 E55 and the results were great. The resulting ride is actually more comfortable (smoother) than stock and the handling is also improved! Turn in is much crisper and the car turns much flatter. You get the best of both worlds.

I don't know what spring pads I have installed on my car but the ride hide ends up being 13.75" from wheel center to fender lip on the front (1.25" drop) and 14" from wheel center to fender lip on the rear (1.00 " drop). Kleeman states that their setup should provide 1.25" drop all around but the rear is a little higher creating a slightly rake look which I like.

Just wanted to pass along my first hand experience.
Finally someone who agrees with me!

Ttsakai,

I believe your stock pads are #3 which is the highest. I'm using the lowest pad which is # 1. Think i have about 1 finger gap all around or less and looks just right for my taste. You should try going # 1 for a less 4x4 look. Just my 2 cents.
I understand that the Kleemann is expensive but if you are looking for a great ride / handling combination it can't be beat.

Brad,

As i've mentioned before running #1 pads all around for the solid track look but street performance. I honestly don't remember how much it cost because i got this a long time ago. Think 00-01. Got it from www.wheelexperts.com Talk to Pete and tell him James sent ya! List price i THINK is about $2100 for both the springs and shocks. You can also check www.evosport.com for pricing. Again this was a long time ago. You should try it! It'll be a nice improvement from stock or if you're running stocks.
Jam, I can say the same for you! I've been hanging around. But I have split my forum time here and also on the 300C and Magnum forums. I got a Magnum Hemi and the ol lady has a 300C Hemi. No mods on either yet.

There is usually not much talk about the our W210 E55 any more. Which I can understand since are much fewer - only sold 500 per year for our model. I still dream about the Kleemann setup - your recommention is all I needed. Glad to see you still have it. I will pull the trigger soon especilly since my 02 factory warranty runs out in 7 months. After that it may be time for a Blower and Brake upgrades. I have number 3 spring pads all around - Let me and Fast55 know which you have. Thanks.
Kev

You sly dog you! How come i don't see you on that forum? I'm there too! Actually i'm everywhere so it doesn't matter. lol

Reason why there's less talk about our W210 is we're special! Are you kidding me? I'll always have that setup! And once you get it i can definitely tell you it's like buying a 211 E55 engine but with a 210 chassis. This thing is solid! I'm about to finish the engine project soon and will hopefully be over 600 ponies or more if i can. But we'll see. If you have any questions let me know and i'll be more than to help you out!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks James. This or a W211, but then I'll have to start modding all over again!!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:09 PM
X55

2001 E55
I'm currently debating between ordering the euro-spec springs and shorter pads, or doing eibachs. I want to lower mine and maintain as much of the ride quality as possible - the poor roads here have me leery of the H&R setup.

I read awhile back on an old post that top of the fender-arch heights were 25.75 inches front and 26.1 inches rear with the euro springs and #2 pads. Need to measure my stock height and see what # pads mine came with from the factory.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Finally someone who agrees with me!

Ttsakai,

I believe your stock pads are #3 which is the highest. I'm using the lowest pad which is # 1. Think i have about 1 finger gap all around or less and looks just right for my taste. You should try going # 1 for a less 4x4 look. Just my 2 cents.
There are 5 pads for the front and 4 for the rear:

FRONT SPRING PADS
210 321 01 84 5mm
210 321 02 84 9mm
210 321 03 84 13 mm
210 321 04 84 17 mm
210 321 05 84 21 mm

REAR SPRING PADS
210 325 01 84 5 mm
210 325 02 84 9 mm
210 325 03 84 13 mm
210 325 04 84 17 mm

Kev

You sly dog you! How come i don't see you on that forum? I'm there too! Actually i'm everywhere so it doesn't matter. lol y
Jam, you have a LX Hemi also? Those SRT-8's with 425HP are the bomb and a great value. Supercharger is taking them to 500 RWHP. Look out AMG's. He-he! That Charger SRT-8 is going to be a monster! I moderate on www.300cforums.com and also belong to www.lxforums.com. Come on over.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Out Of Control!

Thanks James. This or a W211, but then I'll have to start modding all over again!!
Brad

Welcome! But like what you said you'll be starting all over again. If i were you just finish this one. Just my 3 cents.
I'm currently debating between ordering the euro-spec springs and shorter pads, or doing eibachs. I want to lower mine and maintain as much of the ride quality as possible - the poor roads here have me leery of the H&R setup.
If you are leary about your road conditions there, then Eibachs are the way to go. They don't lower as much but still maintain a good ride quality.
Jam, you have a LX Hemi also? Those SRT-8's with 425HP are the bomb and a great value. Supercharger is taking them to 500 RWHP. Look out AMG's. He-he! That Charger SRT-8 is going to be a monster! I moderate on www.300cforums.com and also belong to www.lxforums.com. Come on over.
Actually don't have a LX Hemi, i'm just saying that i'm all over the net lol :p But thanks for the invite. I'll check out your site. I guess for the price you are correct you can't beat those SRT's but the AMG's are in a whole different class! I'm hoping to be over 500+rwhp once this thing is done. Should be a