Well here's the dyno info on my Kleemann Stage 2..little long..sorry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Well here's the dyno info on my Kleemann Stage 2..little long..sorry

First, I did not receive anything discounted or free for this glowing review! I know that must cross through some minds....nothing here, and I certainly wouldn't have turned it down.

Anyway, Cory and Brandon are just great guys. I am an information fanatic so talking to Brandon was incredible. He just knows AMG motors inside and out. Really makes you feel comfortable when you are screwing with a 30k$ motor for which there will be no coverage if a rod "comes a knockin". They totally made me feel at ease.

I think one example will give you the feel of where I am coming from. They, just like me, are curious to see what numbers Speedtuningusa.com chip will turn so we throw it up on the Dyno. Chip and K&N only turns 491....they are looking puzzled and start checking to see what is happening. All the sudden I hear "Holy *****, look at how rich you are running dude." My car was dumping fuel into the system even at the expense of HP. They said Oliver was just being safe, better rich than lean. Anyway, that answers the question as to what a Speedtuning chip and K & N's will give you...went from 476 to 491. almost 20hp...not bad. They start saying "I wonder what our chip would do if we just put it in and tried it" This is not plug and play, on my 03, they have to solder chips etc, then flash, but they are really curious as I. Takes about 20 mins or so, but Cory comes out and puts it in and we run it on dyno. BAM....Kleemann chip and K & N's....516hp. Finally putting out as much as Gid's and his was bone stock.

Anyway, just like I hear about the EVO guys, these guys really enjoy what they do. It's just not like going to shop for service, they really enjoy performance and will talk shop, and a bit over your head if your not careful, all day long.

Sure broke my heart not to get the SL65 rear put in, but I like the LSD and recommend it to anyone putting more power in the beast. DerekFSU is right, you still can light up the tires, but it's not the "ice" feel that you have on stock Contis etc.

Final numbers....585hp. According to the guys, they tested the gas I was running and think I picked up some 10% Ethyl blend on the way in some tiny town. They mentioned that If I WAS able to run some Hi Oct Sunoco, I could easily have it adjust timing and have it pushing closer to 600HP.

Car pulls like a freight train now, just incredible power rush when you punch it. I think the thing I like most are the headers. Finally, when you are cruising in traffic and you are using torque (car poking along in 2nd or 3rd), nice deeeeep throaty sound coming out. Yes, I tick louder than stock, but not annoying or anything. Have people all over the place now drving by and straining there eyes to the side to check it out. Heaven forbid they should turn their heads, that would acknowledge that I have a nice car....just the times we live in I guess. When I was a kid, wouldn't think twice to give a hot car thumbs up.

Bottom line ....whether you go Kleemann EVO or Renntech, you are going to be pleased with the outcome. I am very pleased with what I got for around 10K. Yeah yeah yeah, 10K in a Z Vette, or Viper would have me well into 10 sec range...but sometimes you just gotta say what the h*ll, it's a Benz.

Only down side is on Benzs part....can't believe Benz can make motors that are soooo friggin different. We're not talking a few hp between Gid's and my car..we are talking like 40hp stock to stock. That is friggin weird. I really had my hopes set on the 600hp mark, but my little German motor builder built it to specs at AMG...oh well. Sure love to find out why that was.

Here is the sheet with Speedtuning ECU and K&N, then a dyno run with Kleemann ECU and headers. Final run is the whole shooting match.

Soon as I get a chance...going hunting....ohhhhh I'm going hunting!! Watch my first match be a Z06...be just my luck to get killed, ahh what the heck, I'd at least give it ole college try now.
Attached Thumbnails Well here's the dyno info on my Kleemann Stage 2..little long..sorry-jim_hdr_file_thumb.jpg   Well here's the dyno info on my Kleemann Stage 2..little long..sorry-jim_bk_hdr_file_thumb.jpg  

Last edited by Jakpro1; 03-06-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Nice write up and impressive data. As I am about 3 weeks away from delivery, mods are not my priority right now. If history repeats itself, that attitude will change after the first 2nd place race result. I am curious about your package and I would appreciate it if you would tell me a couple of things. First, did you go to the Colorado Springs facility? Second, did you get the Stage 2 Mod? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Great write up.

I think the reason for many of the fluctuations in the AMG motors can be atributed to conditions and certainly dyno's. I know Kleemann has done a bunch of them in house so that should account for the dyno but my guess is that differing conditions play a portion of this as well.

Enjoy!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah that's what I was thinking too.

Can Drive....It's a Kleemann Stage 2 with a hi flo water pump to keep temps consistent and the Kleemann LSD.

Went to the Colorado USA headquarters...

Hard to believe how massive Kleemann is overseas. Denmark headquarters has over 40 guys kickin these mods out (scissor doors etc) . Amazing.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63
Are the numbers you were discussing and that are shown on the dyno sheets rwhp, or are the dyno sheets somehow corrected to convert them to crank hp? And if so, what correction factor did they use? (e.g., actual/.8 etc.) Thanks.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Jakpro1,

The dyno chart looks great. Your car is making some good power. You will definitely surprise a few cars out there if they decide to try you out.

Have fun with your new beast!
Old 03-06-2005, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 811 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Are the numbers you were discussing and that are shown on the dyno sheets rwhp, or are the dyno sheets somehow corrected to convert them to crank hp? And if so, what correction factor did they use? (e.g., actual/.8 etc.) Thanks.
Yes, those dyno runs are converted to crank hp. Now, go run it on an independent DynoJet and report back.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Thanks for the answer. One other thing. Does the Kleeman ECU mod change the speed limiter setting? Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
While Speedtunerusa and others take limiter off completely, Kleeman is limited to 185mph.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yes, those dyno runs are converted to crank hp. Now, go run it on an independent DynoJet and report back.
So is Dynojet really good? There are a few shops aroung here with Mustang Dynos..they any good?

Sad part on all this is, I am about a mile high (4100ft) in ole Salt Lake City (not Morm by the way) so believe it or not, I am shooting to hit 12 flat at the track this year...even that would be a miracle.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63
Both Dynojet and Mustang dynos are fine, but expect your car to dyno significantly lower on the Mustang dyno and don't freak out. You can't compare runs on a Dynojet to runs on a Mustang dyno, but both are good for comparing baseline numbers with modded runs on the same dyno later. Did you get a baseline dyno on your car before the speedtuning chip? If not, you really don't know how much that chip added because you don't know what the car put down stock.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Thanks, I can live with 185.