W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 2005 E55, but have concerns..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG 2010, Black, Pano, P2
Question Considering 2005 E55, but have concerns..

Hi. I have been monitoring this forum for a while now and it is great, I must say. Currently, I am driving SL500 2002 and my lease is coming to an end. I've owned previous models of E55 and M5 (2000-2001) and both were very exciting autos.

I am considering E55 and wanted to get your optinions.
First, How is the HK Logic 7 Audio? I love the sound in the SL and I am concerned that HK will be below the SL sound quality. SL has nice deep base and clean highs and I can listen to it loud without distortion in the base/highs or rattles.

Second, is it likely to get this car below MSRP, do dealers negotiate there, or is it pretty much take it or leave it. I live on Long Island and deal with Rallye Motors (Roslyn).

And third, is E55 prone to rattling either from audio speakers or from just regular dirving. I hate rattling cars. I sold my M5 cause I could not stand the rattle given off by the subwoffer. Tried fixing it many times and just could not get rid of it.
I would hate to get the car and then get rid of it because of that.

BTW, whatever happened to tinted (smoked) taillights as on the previous E55.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by AlbertM; 03-08-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Welcome to MBWorld! Asking if the logic 7 system is any good is kinda subjective. I think it's OK, some may think not. I would suggest going to a dealer and listening to it. Even if it's not an E55, any E class that has it is the same (std. on E500 I believe and optioin on E320 or now E350).

Rattles? Mine is pretty tight and don't have any complaints, but you never know. Can't say I remember reading much about people complaining about rattles here. Rattles bug the hell out of me to.

You'll probably pay sticker on Long Island. I did. You may get lucky if you shop out of state though. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:47 AM

07 S65
I love my E55! The HK is a little disappointing but it does sound good as long as you're not trying to blast it out. It just doesn't have the power to feel up the entire ****pit of this car. I haven't had my car long enough to know about rattles (I haven't had any), the car seems extremely solid. I wouldn't think that would be a problem with this car. I say if you need a sedan, you are not going to find a better car to drive than the E55. BTW I had and 2003 M3 and the rattling drove me nuts as well.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:15 AM

So it seems that the car is solid.
Cte, I see you have some cool toys in your car

Where did you do all the installations? Is there a shop you can recommend on the island?

Did the mods void your warranty?
Old 03-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Question

Is it worth waiting for E55 2006? Anyone knows what MB is doing with E55 in 2006?
Old 03-08-2005, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Only input I can give you on the the stereo is that I went right from an E500 to 55 and the stereo in the 500 just seemed better for some reason, just sounded cleaner and more full. Not like the 55logic 7 is like a Datsun AM or something, but if being picky.

Now I just listen to the deep throaty rumble of the pipes....that's my smooth jazz....
Old 03-08-2005, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by AlbertM
So it seems that the car is solid.
Cte, I see you have some cool toys in your car

Where did you do all the installations? Is there a shop you can recommend on the island?

Did the mods void your warranty?
Albert, the V1/lidatek was done at Technik 1 in the city. The Renntech stuff was done at RPM Racing in Huntington. Great guys and they do good work.

As far as the warranty goes, this is a grey area. Technically if you do a mod and the dealer can prove that that mod caused a failure they can deny warranty work. It pays to have a good relationship with the dealer, though.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:52 AM

Question

Now it seems like MB is cutting corners all over: first they increase the price for E55, drop the service, fit in so so audio, and the car is amost like 100K with all taxes.

Is E55 really worth the price? I am begining to think that they are ripping us off, or I am being too picky here or am I missing something?

I know I can get BMW 745 much cheaper and better equiped for much less money (obviously not as powerfull, but still).
Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by cte430
Albert, the V1/lidatek was done at Technik 1 in the city. The Renntech stuff was done at RPM Racing in Huntington. Great guys and they do good work.

As far as the warranty goes, this is a grey area. Technically if you do a mod and the dealer can prove that that mod caused a failure they can deny warranty work. It pays to have a good relationship with the dealer, though.
Thanks for the info. I am planning to install some radar/lazer protection, but from my experience they dont work that well. I had K40/V1 and still got nailed with lazer gun. I want to try lidatek, maybe it does a better job.
Often times the cop just follows you and then all your protection is out the window. I get caught like that most of the time. There is just no way around this I guess (cost of driving fast ). There are so many cops now on LI, it is crazy.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Never forget when I took my wife on the L I E for the first time. Guess less cops back then....bumper to bumper in the hammer lane....at about 75-80 MPH (those who have driven the L I E know what I'm talkin about) .....and we're talking just about bumper to bumper. I look over and she is white as a ghost. Just not used to New York driving...

Guess now it's the same, only at 15mph eh?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Hi. I have been monitoring this forum for a while now and it is great, I must say. Currently, I am driving SL500 2002 and my lease is coming to an end. I've owned previous models of E55 and M5 (2000-2001) and both were very exciting autos.

I am considering E55 and wanted to get your optinions.
First, How is the HK Logic 7 Audio? I love the sound in the SL and I am concerned that HK will be below the SL sound quality. SL has nice deep base and clean highs and I can listen to it loud without distortion in the base/highs or rattles.

Second, is it likely to get this car below MSRP, do dealers negotiate there, or is it pretty much take it or leave it. I live on Long Island and deal with Rallye Motors (Roslyn).

And third, is E55 prone to rattling either from audio speakers or from just regular dirving. I hate rattling cars. I sold my M5 cause I could not stand the rattle given off by the subwoffer. Tried fixing it many times and just could not get rid of it.
I would hate to get the car and then get rid of it because of that.

BTW, whatever happened to tinted (smoked) taillights as on the previous E55.

Thank you all in advance.
1. the logic 7 is only slightly better than the stock W211 stereo. The only difference that I can tell is that the sound is clearer than the stock. I.e. the sound it much more cleaner.

2. I got 1k off.

3. No rattles what so ever.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:45 PM

488 GTB
Hi Albert, I am getting my car any day now. I am in florida and bought mine up north. I can probably get you 3500 of list if you want to order one. That is the same discount I got.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Never forget when I took my wife on the L I E for the first time. Guess less cops back then....bumper to bumper in the hammer lane....at about 75-80 MPH (those who have driven the L I E know what I'm talkin about) .....and we're talking just about bumper to bumper. I look over and she is white as a ghost. Just not used to New York driving...

Guess now it's the same, only at 15mph eh?
Driving around here is really frustrating. As much as I love my car, I sometimes wonder what the hell i'm doing with it. You can't drive ANYWHERE. It's not my daily driver, so It is more special when I get to drive it. At least once or twice a week I will take it out to specifically seek out a space where I can open it up. Usually have to drive a good 30 minutes to get to that spot and then keep my fingers crossed that traffic isn't to nuts (hey, i'm not an idiot. don't want to kill anyone else). This is one reason I can't see myself any time soon getting anything else. No matter what MB comes out with, how much faster can it really be. And where am I going to drive it?

Oh BTW, we got some snow and freezing rain this afternoon and it took me 4 hours to go what normally takes 30 minutes Maybe I should move to Montana or something.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Re: W211 noises

The OE hifi isn't great, but isn't bad on the W211 with HK. Newer, fresher program material sounds much better. It struggles top and bottom with lower quality program material, and the AM is hideous if you listen to news/sports/talk. But if thought the hi fi in your 129 SL sounded great (which to me was an awful mix of boom and sizzle), then you're probably fine with the HK. As far as rattles, I have noticed very few in any of the 211's I've been in. But I do sometimes get irritated by the thunks and thuds that I hear from the airmatic DC (speedbreakers, really poor pavement). I think tuning the thing down to the ROW ride height might improve that, but I haven't tried it. Yes, I think a small market dealer would get you under MSRP. I'm in one (a small market) , but am hundreds of miles from you. Drop me a note if you can't get any help.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:46 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Audio is adequate but needs big base. I have added subwoofer and this helped tremendously. It still does not equate to high end after market equipment. It has no speaker distortion or rattles whatsoever. My 03 E500 sounded identical to me except the sub is slightly better in the E55.

I've got 10k miles and have not heard one rattle over any bump. Very tight solid car. It's also the most comfortable car that I have ever had. Seat fit me perfectly.

I am a car fanatic and hate for my cars not to be perfect and although I could make this car better (less body roll on turns) it is my favorite car of all time. I LOVE MY E55. It will be very difficult to ever drive anything that doesn't have the raw refined power that this car has. I just hope I can afford a CL65 or it's successor in 7 or 8 years when I replace my E55.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:14 AM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by Vetluver
I've got 10k miles and have not heard one rattle over any bump. Very tight solid car. It's also the most comfortable car that I have ever had. Seat fit me perfectly.

I am a car fanatic and hate for my cars not to be perfect and although I could make this car better (less body roll on turns) it is my favorite car of all time. I LOVE MY E55. It will be very difficult to ever drive anything that doesn't have the raw refined power that this car has.
Same for me, 5600 mi. No rattles.
After the E55, where do I go from here?????????????????????????????????
Old 03-09-2005, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Now it seems like MB is cutting corners all over: first they increase the price for E55, drop the service, fit in so so audio, and the car is amost like 100K with all taxes.

Is E55 really worth the price? I am begining to think that they are ripping us off, or I am being too picky here or am I missing something?

I know I can get BMW 745 much cheaper and better equiped for much less money (obviously not as powerfull, but still).
745 forget about it, had it, OH MY GOD the worst car i ever had, or maybe it's my luck for getting the first one, SOLD it in 7 month the car was in service twice a week, E55 is beautifull car solid build, 7logic is ok, i liked BMWs 7logic better for some reason. But i didnt care about the sound, i'm a Horse wpoer guy, all i care is that this car can beat anything almost!
Old 03-09-2005, 01:38 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
745 forget about it, had it, OH MY GOD the worst car i ever had, or maybe it's my luck for getting the first one, SOLD it in 7 month the car was in service twice a week, E55 is beautifull car solid build, 7logic is ok, i liked BMWs 7logic better for some reason. But i didnt care about the sound, i'm a Horse wpoer guy, all i care is that this car can beat anything almost!
The new 745i's quality issues are in the past. The current ones are doing quiet well in terms of quality.

You had the worst batch. Since you are the 1st one under the new BMW i-drive philosophy. Too many electronic issues on the 02 to 03 E65.

E65 has the best 7 logic application that i have heard. Not only is has the clarity like the W211. The acoustic inside the 7 series is excellent. In addition, i found that the Bass on the E65 to be excellent as well. On the E55 it seems my bass is very weak. My base W211 without logic 7 has stronger bass (but not as clear, the sound is muddled).
Old 03-09-2005, 02:47 AM

I have both a 745Li and E55. I agree with krispykrme's that the E65/66 7's have the best application for the HK 7 logic.

I drove a E320 loaner for a few weeks, and it sounded better without the HK system. I tried turning off the Logic 7 and it still sounds worse than the E320 I drove. The Bose in my R230 SL sounds a lot better, but still...not all that great.

The funny thing is...after I put in the EURO Comand Unit from Steve...My car does sound better...The highs are a little more crisp and a lot more Bass with the same settings. Very interesting...
Old 03-09-2005, 02:52 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by onesixeight
The funny thing is...after I put in the EURO Comand Unit from Steve...My car does sound better...The highs are a little more crisp and a lot more Bass with the same settings. Very interesting...
You know. The same also happend with the E500. The bass got even stronger with the euro command (it is already stronger than the E55- which i did not upgrade).

May be i should ask Dean to move the euro command and install the tv tuner on the E55. Perhaps it would sound better. hmm.... interesting.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by krispykrme
You know. The same also happend with the E500. The bass got even stronger with the euro command (it is already stronger than the E55- which i did not upgrade).

May be i should ask Dean to move the euro command and install the tv tuner on the E55. Perhaps it would sound better. hmm.... interesting.
Yea...I think the US COMAND head unit has something to do with the sub-par audio most complain about...

It's worth a try!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Duane
Hi Albert, I am getting my car any day now. I am in florida and bought mine up north. I can probably get you 3500 of list if you want to order one. That is the same discount I got.
Thank you all for the feedback. I just talked to my dealer and got around 2.5K off the sticker. I guess that is not bad?!

I will let you know when I get it (delivery around June).