Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 with NO BRAKES!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DJe55....

I give you mad props for being so calm in this situation. I, like the others, would raise hell with any MB person I could get my hands on.

Good luck and best wishes to getting this issue resolved.

If anyone from MB is reading...You need to get rid of this stupid SBC brake system. I don't see anything but complaints about this system...Can anyone tell me something good about this system? The panic stop assist...maybe that...?
Old 03-10-2005, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I'm with DJe55 on this one. Yes it sucks big time that this dangerous situation occurred but thankfully you were in a safe situation. If MB figures out why it happened and DEFINITIVELY fixes the problem, then I'd be comfortable taking it back. If not, then I'd be very wary of driving it again in any setting. Let them know you're plenty pissed, but ride this out and see what the problem was before making any demands.

By the way, the AMG Challenge cars are sold at wholesale auction with full disclosure and should be traceable as such.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Wow! Now THAT'S new stuff to this forum, I believe. Good thing you're okay and the traffic was low. Hope all gets fixed up and MB fixes this major safety issue failure.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:31 PM

07 S65
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am planning on writing a letter to MBUSA and letting them know what happend with the car and my concerns. I thought about this a lot today (riding the metro to the ACC tourney) and have kind of changed my attitude towards the problem. I still feel fortunate how and where this happend but, I am concerned more about what has this done to the car. Jakpro had a good point about what could happen later if this happens again and I'm not so lucky. Also, what has this done to the value of my car. It's on the record for anyone that knows how to do any research that the car had a brake failure. I would imagine my value is down a little. The dealer has mentioned nothing about taking the car back so far. I haven't mentioned either. They called me today to let me know that it was a complete failure of the SBC and that's what has to be replaced. I don't know anything about it. Maybe you guys can help out with that as well. nasdaqsam, please stop questioning me or my story. I ignored you the first time you did it but now you've done it for a second time. You don't know me. Come take a ride with me in any of my cars. I'm sure you will be able to see how calm I am behind the wheel. Like I said earlier, my E55 isn't my play car. It's my every day car that I have fun in. I have no need to bs you or anyone else. I don't know anyone on this forum and have no reason to try and bs anyone . It's just not that big of a deal. Now that's off my chest. Thanks for all you're help guys. If anyone wants to help me write a letter to MBUSA or if you know where or who I should start with, let me know. Thanks again guys. BTW the car was owned by a dealer in NYC, it's not a Challenge car.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:34 PM

2013 w204 C350
This happened to me. Im so irritated to read about it again I don't even want to go into it. Just do a search for my threads.

Fazooley
Old 03-10-2005, 11:05 PM

07 S65
fazooley, what ever happend with your car? Did MBUSA do anything about it? Let me know.

Thanks
DJ
Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 PM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by DJe55
fazooley, what ever happend with your car? Did MBUSA do anything about it? Let me know.

Thanks
DJ

Yeah they held my car for months until I finally couldnt take it anymore. The bottom line is this, regardless if your brakes failed at 10mph or 100mph if you didnt crash, hurt someone, or kill someone your beat and there just going to fix your car. You could be like me and argue day after day, it will sit there for months on end while you pay your payment and then if you want to get lawyers involved which was at the point I was at, I was looking at them having my car for at least 9-12 months. the 3 months they had it already and at least another 6 throughtout the court procedings. Then who knows if you even win or not, if not then you'll get your car back after paying 12 months of payments, driving around in a c240 and your back in the same boat. I absolutely hate MB after this whole scenario, I cancelled my CLS500 order from ray catena and told them I'd spit in there face if they ever called me again to sell me something. I just finished up all my pictures and will be putting this car on leasetrader. Bottom line is even though it only happened once, and AFTER they did the brake recall and hasnt happened since I still hate everyday getting into the car. For my fully loaded e500 with every option except for pano and distronic the car costs me 811.00 with tax to lease. That car will go on leasetrader in 2 days.

Fazooley
Old 03-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Almost a Member!

58 Vette, 03 Toyota LC, 05 E3204Matic "cancelled purchase"
nasdaqsam, please stop questioning me or my story. I ignored you the first time you did it but now you've done it for a second time. You don't know me. Come take a ride with me in any of my cars. I'm sure you will be able to see how calm I am behind the wheel. Like I said earlier, my E55 isn't my play car. It's my every day car that I have fun in. I have no need to bs you or anyone else. I don't know anyone on this forum and have no reason to try and bs anyone . It's just not that big of a deal. Now that's off my chest.
No offense was intended
Old 03-11-2005, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by fazooley
Yeah they held my car for months until I finally couldnt take it anymore. The bottom line is this, regardless if your brakes failed at 10mph or 100mph if you didnt crash, hurt someone, or kill someone your beat and there just going to fix your car. You could be like me and argue day after day, it will sit there for months on end while you pay your payment and then if you want to get lawyers involved which was at the point I was at, I was looking at them having my car for at least 9-12 months. the 3 months they had it already and at least another 6 throughtout the court procedings. Then who knows if you even win or not, if not then you'll get your car back after paying 12 months of payments, driving around in a c240 and your back in the same boat. I absolutely hate MB after this whole scenario, I cancelled my CLS500 order from ray catena and told them I'd spit in there face if they ever called me again to sell me something. I just finished up all my pictures and will be putting this car on leasetrader. Bottom line is even though it only happened once, and AFTER they did the brake recall and hasnt happened since I still hate everyday getting into the car. For my fully loaded e500 with every option except for pano and distronic the car costs me 811.00 with tax to lease. That car will go on leasetrader in 2 days.

Fazooley
This is my point about the dealer. without the dealer's support, you are going to have a tough time. MBUSA obviously didn't help Fazooley. His dealer was his only shot, and they didn't step up. My dealer offered me a new car because they saw the potential for a safety issue (stalling). I did not ask. They offered. I would not have had to go to MBUSA for help. The dealer was interested in me as a customer and was prepared to do the right thing.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car has been having severe transmission issues... lurching when coming to a stop (almost rear ending people), rough upshifts causing the car to surge when coming to a stop, etc.

My dealer keeps telling me they've done everything they can with the advice given to them via MB- Tech Hotline. How can I get in touch with someone at MBUSA to actually get some support, instead of getting the run around from my dealer?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Almost a Member!

58 Vette, 03 Toyota LC, 05 E3204Matic "cancelled purchase"
To start with. Get ahold of the NTSB and file a report. Then file a complaint with the AG's office. Then go the media (they love stuff like this). Make sure you contact the owner of the business and let them know exactly what you are doing every step ofthe way. I would also visit every MB forum I could find and rally the troops. From the sounds of it this is not the first one. Get them all to file with the NTSB. I would also make sure to get names of all the people involved and let them fully know you are going to hold them personally responsible should you ever have a major issue due tothis problem. I always like the response I get when I ask them to spell their name several times. I would also call around to a few attorneys and see if any are interested in taking the case. From there I would start to place phone calls to corporate, not service but to the main people. They are hard to find but it can be done. Try human resources and tell your story to a receptionist or two and see if you can get some names and numbers. Go to their corporate web site. This is always a good place to find out the names of the big guys. They do not like trouble, they especially do not like their names ties to any trouble. They know if you found them you are serious and things will get done. Let them know you are good on the internet and fully plan to tell your story to anybody and everybody that will listen, especially their competitors who are interested in telling your story to thier customers. Get creative.
Good Luck.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,071 Likes on 859 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
You can write all the letters to MBUSA you want. Without the dealers support you get no where.
Yeah, that's BS. I had an issue that the dealership would not fix and neither would Mercedes USA. I had to talk to a governmental employee to get advice on how I could influence them to fix the defect. Threatened with a potential recall of basically every car made with a V8, they gave in and fixed my issue at over $4,000. It was not even life threatening but if a recall were forced it would have cost in the hundreds of millions.

The brake issue is very serious. I would call NHSTA as well as have a lawyer send a letter to MBUSA and make them aware of the issue. That way, you are covered. Imagine if it the brakes went out and you killed someone or yourself? Cover your ****!

Last edited by BlownV8; 03-12-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:10 AM

07 S65
Alright guys. I was told by the dealer that the previous dealer never did the recall on the car. The dealer that has the car now replaced the SBC and says the car is perfectly fine. I'm still writing MBUSA to let them know about the issue, even if it doesn't do any good. Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:44 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
OMG! just think if you were going like 50 and u saw a redlight! not to mention if u were racing or something and were approacing a traffic light!
Old 03-12-2005, 03:35 PM

2004 E500
Originally Posted by vdubpower
Brake Failure Stop the Car

thats a genius line
Glad someone spotted this

But seriously, how can a car's software updates cause complete and total brake failure? If true, this is totally unacceptable and should be the basis for a class action law suit aginst MB
Old 03-12-2005, 09:32 PM

2013 w204 C350
Alright guys. I was told by the dealer that the previous dealer never did the recall on the car. The dealer that has the car now replaced the SBC and says the car is perfectly fine. I'm still writing MBUSA to let them know about the issue, even if it doesn't do any good. Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate your help.

Sounds all too familiar. There actually talking about buying back my vehicle, which is what I really dont want. I'd rather a transfer of equity otherwise I'll just lose the car on leasetrader in about 2 minutes. For 810.00 including taxes mo. with just about every option it would be the lowest one on there. I had my audi up there for a week and had like 30 approved interested people, but in the end I felt bad for my little brother and gave him the a6.

fazooley

fazooley
Old 03-13-2005, 08:10 AM
Almost a Member!

04 MB E55 AMG, 92 911 Turbo
Just to get back to the emergency brake thing - Is it still possible to use the emergency brake when this failure occurs? I want to know what to do if this happens...If you hammer the emergency brake (never done that) won't that lock up the tires and make the situation worse?
Old 03-18-2005, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Originally Posted by vdubpower
Brake Failure Stop the Car

thats a genius line
Keyboard error: No keyboard detected.
Press any key to continue.