Sponsored by:

Anyone here with headers on their W211?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone here with headers on their W211?

I'm curious - aside from the power gains, was the exhaust note noticeably louder? Annoying? Any sound clips?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:09 AM

03 E55 k2; Ford GT
I have headers and some additional exhaust work. I think the sound is great
http://koti.mbnet.fi/rmx/e55/e55bypass_chris.wav
Old 03-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Almost a Member!

That does indeed sound great! What "additional work" do you have done? I was curious because on a car like the E55, if I'm going to be using it as my daily driver, I didn't want anything obscenely loud or something that droned at highway speeds.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I would say mine is a bit louder...hard to say how much.

Not like you can't hear the stereo or anything, but it does drone when using torque to accelerate (higher gear and engine chugs a bit), and it does drone when highway cruising and is a little louder than normal.

Also, passengers in the back have commented that it is a bit louder for them then usual. If I were you and really wanted to do this, make sure you get headers that can be taken off if you just hate them. My Kleemanns were welded onto exhaust and 1st Cat was hacked off so I cannot turn back. I believe Evo and Renntech can be taken off if need be without too much trouble.

BTW...Saber is MUCH louder than mine...sounds sweet, but mine doesn't sound like that. I would say just a notch up in sound from stock...whatever that means.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Banned

hey saber, i bought the cut outs you have but my installer is having problems with the install. i believe you posted pics of your before installation under the car. plz post again.

i have evos and the installer said the welding was top notch. they are also coated to reduce temps. i had res deletes also and i love the sound. tiny tiny bit of drone, the res deletes im sure but when you nail it the sound is nicely aggressive and does turn a head or two. evo also sells the res deletes for 149 that are a perfect fit, highly reccommend both.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I too would like to know what kinds of exhaust work you have done...car sounds amazing!~!
Old 03-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Almost a Member!

How loud would a W211 be with just the Renntech headers? I'm assuming the power gains are still high, since the stock manifolds are horrible...?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:41 AM

2005 Kleemann Stage 3 E55
Komp Man,

What is your REAL issue with the header sound? If you share your concerns, I think all of us could help you better.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:25 PM

03 E55 k2; Ford GT
Originally Posted by Peter B
hey saber, i bought the cut outs you have but my installer is having problems with the install. i believe you posted pics of your before installation under the car. plz post again.

i have evos and the installer said the welding was top notch. they are also coated to reduce temps. i had res deletes also and i love the sound. tiny tiny bit of drone, the res deletes im sure but when you nail it the sound is nicely aggressive and does turn a head or two. evo also sells the res deletes for 149 that are a perfect fit, highly reccommend both.
Peter,
the pictures were posted on 11-25-2004, 11:17 AM #57 by Mardeth. You can search under the name or for it was on page 6 of More Mods Kleemann Headers and LSD. I would post them again but I don't have a host for the pictures. My mods were done by RPM Racing and they gave pictures on their website as well. Beleive me the sound is awesome and since the exhaust still exits beyond the back bumper, the sound it the car is not bad.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
wow what a bad *** sound!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Kompressor Man
How loud would a W211 be with just the Renntech headers? I'm assuming the power gains are still high, since the stock manifolds are horrible...?
Kleemann headers will give you the most HP output because of downpipe size and removal of primary cats.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Banned

pics motherf***** pics!!!!! needs my cutouts done beeatch!!!!!
Old 03-26-2005, 03:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Gid_E_Up
Komp Man,

What is your REAL issue with the header sound? If you share your concerns, I think all of us could help you better.

Well, I'd obivously consider doing headers for the power gains. At the same time, I don't want to make the exhaust drone since the E55 is made for driving daily. I guess I'm just used to modding sports cars and making them obscenely loud.

I wouldn't want to remove the cats, so I'd choose Renntech over Kleeman. But I don't want the exhaust note to be that where it drones at a certain RPM in the cabin, annoying myself and passengers. I want the E55 to be the "silent and deadly" type - I'll keep the loud exhaust to a muscle or pony car.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Kompressor Man
Well, I'd obivously consider doing headers for the power gains. At the same time, I don't want to make the exhaust drone since the E55 is made for driving daily. I guess I'm just used to modding sports cars and making them obscenely loud.

I wouldn't want to remove the cats, so I'd choose Renntech over Kleeman. But I don't want the exhaust note to be that where it drones at a certain RPM in the cabin, annoying myself and passengers. I want the E55 to be the "silent and deadly" type - I'll keep the loud exhaust to a muscle or pony car.

That was a big concern for me also. I wanted my $90K plus car to still be a luxury sedan for the family. The car is not that much louder then stock with the Kleemann headers. The everyday person would never even know that you have headers.