Going to the autocross this sunday!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Going to the autocross this sunday!!

Can someone tell me the tricks? It's gonna be my first time in my life never done that!!!

Also i tinted my windows! gonna post pics later !!!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pump up your tires to help prevent tire damage from rolling over during hard cornering. I ran 38 rears and 42 fronts in my PS2's on my M3's but I'm no expert.

Read this, it helped me: http://www.tunnellracing.com/advice.html

I walked the course 5 times and it still was not quite enough. Be off the breaks and downsifted (if manual) before you start the turn. You don't want to be plowing the breaks while you are turning. The steadier your accelerating and breaking the better grip your tires will have.

GRAB A TRUE VETERAN AND HAVE HIM DO 3 THINGS FOR YOU:
1) Walk the course with you and he'll help you with the proper lines
2) He'll give you some good overall pointers like, "slower in hairpins is faster."
3) Get him to ride with you and give you pointers WHILE you are driving the course.

No, I've never done it but I did stay in a Holiday Inn ... last night.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Bob you're gonna love it. Just got back from the challenge and although we didn't use E55s in the autocross I know they will perform above your expectations for a 4000 pound car.

One pointer, smoother is better. Jerky is slower.

Another is to brake when the car is going straight only. The tires work best for braking only when going straight. Wait to the later segment of the curve to hammer it.

I went faster with the traction control off but I am used to my Vette which is a major handful to drive, no traction control and 450 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 rpm. It was great practice for driving the relatively docile beast. And I don't mean that the E55 is slower than my Vette it, might not be. The suspension is just way more sophisticated and far superior to the Neanderthal nature of my Vette.

Try traction control both ways to see which will work for you best.

I agree with the tires pressures. I have found 40-42 in the front and 36 in the rear makes it turn in quicker.

Unfortunately the more nimble the car is the better for autocross. Too bad you don't have an 05 SLK55. It's not a compressor but it smoked every other heavier car in the AMG arsenal. Handling is amazing.

Have fun. I envy you. I wish we had some type of organization closer than 100 miles to autocross my vehicles.

Last edited by Vetluver; 04-07-2005 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I'll film it and take pictures too!