W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

How do you change the air filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2005 | 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
How do you change the air filter?

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm lost in the engine bay. I just got a K&N filter and I was wondering if I could pop it in myself. Can anyone help me out?
Where is the air box/stock air filter??

Thanks guys.
Old 04-18-2005 | 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32AMG
You air filters are in the large rectangular plastic boxes located outboard of the surge tanks (the parts with the AMG lettering).

Remove the front pulley cover. Back out all the torx screws holding each AF cover, pull the cover off and raise the upper half, then drop out the old filter.
Old 04-18-2005 | 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by Steve Clark
You air filters are in the large rectangular plastic boxes located outboard of the surge tanks (the parts with the AMG lettering).

Remove the front pulley cover. Back out all the torx screws holding each AF cover, pull the cover off and raise the upper half, then drop out the old filter.
Thanks Steve for your reply, but I'm afraid I'm still lost.
I need a translation for "outboard of the surge tanks" and I also need to know where the front pulley cover is. Also, does the E55 have more than I air filter, as I only purchased one.

Sorry, I'm a dummy when it comes to this.
Old 04-19-2005 | 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32AMG
Here's a pic with the front pulley cover off-How do you change the air filter?-e1.jpg

Remove the cover by gently lifting straight up at its' front center to remove the cover's prong from where it inserts in its' mounting hole.Each rear corner should pop out in the same manner.
The air filters themselves are in the smooth plastic boxes outboard of the surge tanks.You need to completely loosen all the torx bolts securing each of the two halves together, but don't take them all the way out of the AF upper cover.
Leave the black lower half of each AF housing in place, then gently lift the top half off, flexing the air-hose at the back of the cover enough to let the old filter drop out.
The air filter housings are plastic, the surge tanks are aluminum, and two filters are used.
Have a shop vacuum handy to remove all the debris that you'll find in the lower air filter housing.