W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer has 2005 E55 coming in for sale. Should I buy, or wait for another build slot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 540i
Dealer has 2005 E55 coming in for sale. Should I buy, or wait for another build slot

E55 waiting delivery
A local dealer receives a single E55 build slot/year, and has a brilliant Silver metallic/ black charcoal interior/ DVD navigation/ 6-CD changer. No other options on car. No bi-xenons either. I like the car with exception of not having the bi-xenons. I asked dealer if they could retro-fit the xenons, and "no" was the reply. Am I really missing out without this option? I would otherwise find the vehicle worth buying or leasing. Any thoughts welcomed.
Jon
BMW 2002 540i 6spd
Old 05-07-2005, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by jfishmd
E55 waiting delivery
A local dealer receives a single E55 build slot/year, and has a brilliant Silver metallic/ black charcoal interior/ DVD navigation/ 6-CD changer. No other options on car. No bi-xenons either. I like the car with exception of not having the bi-xenons. I asked dealer if they could retro-fit the xenons, and "no" was the reply. Am I really missing out without this option? I would otherwise find the vehicle worth buying or leasing. Any thoughts welcomed.
Jon
BMW 2002 540i 6spd
It pi$$es me off that most dealers don't know what the f#ck they're talking about and don't bother to do any research, even when they're losing a potential sale on a $90K car. A bi-xenon retrofit is totally possible, at least on my '04 it was. i almost passed on my car for the same reason, but it was the only Tectite grey car I had come across in my search. I did my research and decided to just retrofit the xenons. It was like pulling teeth getting the local MB service department to install it, but it was worth it. The SA and techs both gave me condescending treatment like I was some stupid kid that didn't know any better and kept insisting it wouldn't work. If it did, They couldn't believe I could get all the OEM parts necessary and even if I did, I needed all new wiring harness, it would cost $1000's of dollars, etc. I also mentioned that the COMAND needed to be reprogrammed to accept them, which was followd by another condescing "I don't think so, sir". They still didn't believe it was OEM equipment they saw the damn OEM part number on them. But I persisted and the agreed to do it. Well, 3 1/2 hours after dropping it all off it was ready. It was daytime, when I picked it up, so I admit I was somewhat sceptical, but come nighttime, they worked great!! I just hope they learned their lesson to not doubt their customers.
You can buy the bi-xenons for around $1400 from a variety of vendors. I got mine on ebay for around $1000 and I paid around $320 to have them installed. Worth every penny. You'll be missing out on the self-leveling and headlight washers, but you won't know the difference unless you are really nitpicky.

Last edited by medici78; 05-07-2005 at 04:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
E55 waiting delivery
Jon
BMW 2002 540i 6spd
I would never buy another car without Xenon lights. That MB sells a 90K car with xenon lights as an option pisses me off. That dealers order the car (assuming it was not a customer's cancelled order) without xenons also pisses me off. Maybe even more. I have your options plus the xenons (obviously) and the electronic trunk closer. The trunk closer is cool, but I could easily live without it. Had I been able to order my car and get it in a few weeks, I would also probably have added the ventilated seats. But I was too luck to find an unclaimed car arriving in a month that was the color I wanted and with my necessary options (DVD Nav, Xenons and CD Changer).

FWIW - I cancelled a purchase on an 04 primarily because it didn't have xenons. When I bought it from the dealer the week before it arrived, I didn't realize that it didn't have standard xenons. Turns out it wasn't really the color that I wanted (black) and it was the last of the 04's. So it worked out well that it didn't have xenons.

In any event, if you can really get them retrofitted, then great. But since your dealer says "No" it means, at least, that nobody in that dealership's service department knows what the hell they are doing. So you won't want anyone there to do it. Call around to other area dealers, tuners and the like to see if they have ever performed an e-class bi-xenon retrofit. If you find a reputable person to do it, then go for it - as long as the color and other options are what you want.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
E55 waiting delivery
Jon
BMW 2002 540i 6spd
Has the car been built and on the water? If it hasn't the dealer can change the options. Mine did. Otherwise wait and get the one that you can customize yourself.

I would not get E55 without the keyless go, multicontour seats, and bixenons. Once you use the above you'll see what I mean.

Nav unit for me is worthless. I don't use it.

Since I got Sirius the cd changer never gets used.

One other bit, the charcoal interior is ok but I personally prefer the dk blue inserts with the charcoal. I get more comments on this than anything else in the interior.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
No bi-xenons either.
NO!! I command you not to buy it without BiXenons....adding after the fact is a b i t c h.....you will hate it!

Okay, well not command....how bout kindly advise....k?
Old 05-07-2005, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
NO!! I command you not to buy it without BiXenons....adding after the fact is a b i t c h.....you will hate it!

Okay, well not command....how bout kindly advise....k?
I love my bi-xenons. It's not a ***** to add. In fact, even the tech was surprised how easy it was. I could have done it myself, but I was impatient and couldn't wait for the weekend and still have to go in on Monday to have the computer reprogrammed. It's not rocket science to remove a bumper, unplug and remove headlights, install and plug in new headlights and reinstall the bumper.