Cali guys...need your help again! San Diego or Bay Area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Cali guys...need your help again! San Diego or Bay Area

Looking to whisk the wife away for a night Friday. Thinking of flying down to either Diego or maybe San Fran area.

Can anyone with any knowledge of these areas let me know places we could go to in the evening. I know San Diego has the beach...any places better than others. What about Frisco?

If you have any other ideas of places that would be a quick flight from Utah...that we could snag a nice dinner, then maybe a romantic walk or place to go....something. Probably spend the night in hotel, then head back in the AM.

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
I'm in southern CA, but one of my favorite hotels of all times is the Clift Hotel in San Francisco. (www.clifthotel.com) Incredible bar, great restaurant.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hmmmm....looks nice. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 AM

I drive a E55T, SLK55 and 65 Mustang Conv.
Hi there,
Haven't actually eaten here yet. Plan to when we're in SF this summer but it comes VERY highly recommended. Also, would you please send Wolf a pm on how to romance a wife I like your idea!
http://dinesite.com/info/?v=237&/san...est/3361.shtml
Old 05-17-2005, 11:47 AM

San Fancisco Bay Area has some wonderful restaurants but last minute reservations can be difficult. Some places to try... are Aqua, Gary Danko, Fifth Floor, Michael Mina and of course the infamous French Laundry which is in the Napa Valley.

Good Luck. I hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:56 AM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
Go to San Diego and stay at the Gas Lamp district, you will have the best time of your life
Old 05-17-2005, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by lbE55
I'm in southern CA, but one of my favorite hotels of all times is the Clift Hotel in San Francisco. (www.clifthotel.com) Incredible bar, great restaurant.
the clift rocks! stay there! i stay there every time i'm in frisco 2 thumbs up! hot chicks in the bar there at night its a baller crowd not a bunch of night club posers.
and all the good shoping is right there w/ in walking distance.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by Lady Wolf
Hi there,
Haven't actually eaten here yet. Plan to when we're in SF this summer but it comes VERY highly recommended. Also, would you please send Wolf a pm on how to romance a wife I like your idea!
http://dinesite.com/info/?v=237&/san...est/3361.shtml
HEHEHE!!! Jakpro1, you are getting us lame husbands in trouble now. LOLOL. joking aside, i think that's a cool thing you're doing. i think i'll have to do it soon as well
Old 05-17-2005, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
If your going to stay in SF, you better stay in downtown union square. Since the wife is going, it's the heart of SHOPPING. it's also the central location for restaurants and nightlife (bars/clubs). also, a short cab ride away for other places too, It really depends on your budget, because there's a lot of nice hotels in the area: Westin St. Francis, Marriott, Four Seasons, and Hyatt. As for shows, there's "Beach Blanket Babylon" and in August "Wicked".
Old 05-17-2005, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by john doe iii
Go to San Diego and stay at the Gas Lamp district, you will have the best time of your life

I concur! Hit up the Gaslamp District for the clubs and bars or if you want quiet evening, there is always La Jolla cove and Prospect Street.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:58 PM

04 E55 white.
go to the faremont in sf
Old 05-19-2005, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Fly to SF and head up to the wine country. My wife and I are up here for our 10th anniversary and having a great time. It would make a romantic weekend for sure. (Don't tell her I'm on the net while on vacay!!)

Internet on a phone line sucks
Old 05-19-2005, 05:01 AM

San Diego....gas lamp = fight for parking or park in the mall structure
then club and forget how to get back to the structure

or go to la jolla where stuff will close before 9pm and sit and watch the ocean... its more like rocks u can climb out too in la jolla...( peaceful )
symbolic car dealership with ferraris etc... not much to do cept eat and walk around stare at the beach.

if u were to pack a whole day.. from OC.. i would go to
5 south--->palomar airport exit (outlet mall shopping)---->la jolla exit----->walk around the beach/cliff stuff+little shops and fancy lunch----->seaport village--->got a weird sailboat to look at + some other weird shops and more ocean... can see military stuff..aircraft carriers at a distance or wutever DO NOT EAT HERE ---->bout 10 minutes to Gaslamp... the clubbing/eating/hip area..

~fk
Old 05-19-2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Looking to whisk the wife away for a night Friday. Thinking of flying down to either Diego or maybe San Fran area.

Can anyone with any knowledge of these areas let me know places we could go to in the evening. I know San Diego has the beach...any places better than others. What about Frisco?
Just a friendly tip for your trip. Coming to California and referring to the state as "Cali" or San Francisco as "Frisco" is probably worse than going to Paris and wearing tennis shoes, shorts, a T-shirt with a sequined American flag, and a cowboy hat. It's a free country and you can do what you want, but don't be surprised when people treat you like a hick from the sticks if you can't pronounce the proper name of the city and state you are visiting.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 PM

2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
Originally Posted by darylhuff
Just a friendly tip for your trip. Coming to California and referring to the state as "Cali" or San Francisco as "Frisco" is probably worse than going to Paris and wearing tennis shoes, shorts, a T-shirt with a sequined American flag, and a cowboy hat. It's a free country and you can do what you want, but don't be surprised when people treat you like a hick from the sticks if you can't pronounce the proper name of the city and state you are visiting.
Way Harsh.

-- Mark (from Southern "Cali" who recommended the Clift Hotel in "Frisco")
Old 05-19-2005, 02:10 PM

I agree - don't say "Frisco" when here.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
WOW...thanks for the tip.....that's a trip. I will make sure to pronouce it just like Arnold....just so I don't sound stupid of course.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:06 PM

'06 M5
That's interesting. My last two software start-ups I worked for have been in the "Bay Area" (Sunnyvale and Palo Alto). Most everyone working there calls San Fran by "Frisco". I always laughed because it would throw me off since I actually live in a city called Frisco.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Don't say "Frisco" "San Fran" or "Cali"...it actually sounds ghetto and for the young age group. If you're a visitor it's strictly "San Francisco"....If you're a local "The City"...For other parts of Northern California, you'll hear East Bay, Bay Area, South Bay, The Penninsula, and Wine Country. These are the most common.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:43 PM
JLP

06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
I live in the Bay area and don't give a rats *** what people call certain places.......Frisco, the city, who cares!

Back to the question, If you want a romantic get away try the Ritz Carleton at Half moon bay, it has an amazing restaurant, a world class spa, a beautiful beach front setting and views to die for, all within a 25 minute drive from the airport!
( it also has 2 golf course's if the wifey wants a full day in the spa) My wife and I stay in the Club level, card access only and a fully catered lounge all day long!
If you take your wife there she will be a very happy woman!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by darylhuff
HEY BUD, i'M FROM CALI AND I VISIT FRISCO EVERY 2 MONTHS, so put that on your wheaties.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 PM

if you want views--stay at the mandarian oriental--get the rooms with either the golden gate bridge or the bridge to bridge rooms--they start on the 40th floor and these views will blow your mind--you won't want to leave.

for restaurants--the slanted door is amazing--vietnamese with french influence--awesome bay bridge views too. slanted door is tough to get in to--but they have open seating (no reservation) if you show up at 5pm. then make your reservation for desert only at cafe jacquline on grant. you won't have a better soufle.