W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Brabus look a likes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2005 | 10:16 PM

2004 E55 Black Navi Kleemann Stage 1 & LSD, Brabus Mono VI, pedals and lighted sills, JL sub.
Brabus look a likes

What are all the reasons these are not a substitute for Brabus mono VI?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43958
Old 05-21-2005 | 12:38 AM

A "substitute"? I guess if you are looking for a rim that is round and looks like a cheap knock-off of an original... it could be a "substitute."
Old 05-21-2005 | 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
there pretty ugly anyway.
Old 05-21-2005 | 12:57 AM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Thumbs down What's the difference

between

QUALITY
and
KWALUHTEE?

Okay, to be serious, if you don't want genuine MBZ wheels (I know, they're stunningly expensive), you can get some aftermarkets, but I'd recommend that you at least stick with a known quantity. I've never heard of that brand (not that I'd be so brash to think that I've heard of all reputable brands) so I wouldn't go for them, particularly for a performance car.

Some of the things the OEM MBZ wheel manufacturers are known for is uniformity, balance, purity of alloys, finish, light weight and strength. They're as close to perfection as you can get for wheels. (Yeah, some of them are really, really ugly, too...) If you want to feel better about Brabus prices, go price some Lowenharts...that'll drop your socks.

You could always find some genuine MBZ wheels that the finish has been trashed on and get them refinished, that will save you quite a bit of money as well.

Good luck and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 05-21-2005 | 02:05 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Generally speaking... in life... you get what you pay for.

Now yes, dropping $10-12K on rims may sound insane, but you just paid $90K+ on your E55... why go cheap now?

I don't mean to come across snobby, but IMHO, buying some cheap(er) knock-off rims simply doesn't match. It's like the kids who splurge on a M3 out of college yet still live with their folks, or the SL owner who has car payments so high he's forced to rent a studio apartment - the elements of their lives simply don't correlate.

Want to save a little money? Buy the rims used. There is a HUGE second hand market for rims and there are some terrific deals to be had.

Just my 2 cents.

~ Ian

Last edited by IanSL55; 05-21-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2005 | 07:30 AM

2004 E55 Black Navi Kleemann Stage 1 & LSD, Brabus Mono VI, pedals and lighted sills, JL sub.
Where is the best place to shop for used rims? On the internet?
Old 05-21-2005 | 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by ERINIC
These days, the internet is your friend for shopping for virtually anything.
Old 05-21-2005 | 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by IanSL55
Want to save a little money? Buy the rims used. There is a HUGE second hand market for rims and there are some terrific deals to be had.

Just my 2 cents.

~ Ian
Interesting. But what if you do find a used set and come to an agreement with the seller, and then the seller goes into hiding? What does the buyer do at that point... buy HRE's.
Old 05-21-2005 | 07:02 PM

We've had this discussion regarding replicas vs "original" brabus wheels many times over. This thing has been beat to death. A quick synopsis for all the new owners:

When the replica wheels first came out in 2002, a lot of people thought they were poor quality and that they would crack/disintegrate/explode if you drove over a pot hole or road debris. But you know what? That never happened. The reason is because Brabus wheels and their respective replicas made in Taiwan are made from the same process: CAST WHEELS.

There are only a few major wheel manufacturers left in this world. It's called private-labeling. So while the brand may want you to think you're buying something special made from a super duper high tech secret top infoZZ!!11!, in fact, you're not. You're a victim of either clever marketing (no) or under the assumption that buying a brand name = buying good quality.

The replica 20's are sold for about $350 retail (silver). That's RETAIL. Brabus sells their 20" monoblock VI for $1700+ retail. Do you think it costs Brabus that much more for the wheel, given the fact that they don't actually make the wheel and the wheels are probably imported from the same country? <insert random asian country>. Brabus makes a KILLING by selling wheels because their profit margin is ridiculous.

And lastly, if you bought directly from Brabus NA, then sorry, you are a fool. You know why? Because I did the same thing. I met Mr. Beaty and he's a great guy. I was able to negotiate 10-15% off list price for my body kit, exhaust, first set of wheels. Little did I know that they WHOLESALE 25-30% off to their retailers. I was able to pick up a set of Monoblock VI's for my S class (one of the first few sets in the country) for about $6500. This was back in 2002 folks.

Next topic of discussion: Hardware lowering of ABC/Airmatic cars vs Tuner module/chip vs. MBZ Diagnostic
Old 05-21-2005 | 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by jl88
We've had this discussion regarding replicas vs "original" brabus wheels many times over. This thing has been beat to death. A quick synopsis for all the new owners:

When the replica wheels first came out in 2002, a lot of people thought they were poor quality and that they would crack/disintegrate/explode if you drove over a pot hole or road debris. But you know what? That never happened. The reason is because Brabus wheels and their respective replicas made in Taiwan are made from the same process: CAST WHEELS.

There are only a few major wheel manufacturers left in this world. It's called private-labeling. So while the brand may want you to think you're buying something special made from a super duper high tech secret top infoZZ!!11!, in fact, you're not. You're a victim of either clever marketing (no) or under the assumption that buying a brand name = buying good quality.

The replica 20's are sold for about $350 retail (silver). That's RETAIL. Brabus sells their 20" monoblock VI for $1700+ retail. Do you think it costs Brabus that much more for the wheel, given the fact that they don't actually make the wheel and the wheels are probably imported from the same country? <insert random asian country>. Brabus makes a KILLING by selling wheels because their profit margin is ridiculous.

And lastly, if you bought directly from Brabus NA, then sorry, you are a fool. You know why? Because I did the same thing. I met Mr. Beaty and he's a great guy. I was able to negotiate 10-15% off list price for my body kit, exhaust, first set of wheels. Little did I know that they WHOLESALE 25-30% off to their retailers. I was able to pick up a set of Monoblock VI's for my S class (one of the first few sets in the country) for about $6500. This was back in 2002 folks.

Next topic of discussion: Hardware lowering of ABC/Airmatic cars vs Tuner module/chip vs. MBZ Diagnostic
It sounds like you have not done your research and based your post on speculation. Let's discuss the Brabus Monoblock 6.

I do NOT like Brabus Wheels - let me first set that straight.

You said that Brabus wheels cost $1,700 while the replica costs $350.

The main difference is the CONSTRUCTION. Brabus wheels (at least in the 20) is a 2-piece system, which is known in the industry as MODULAR. There is the BARREL, and then there is the FACE.

Each piece is made to strict standards, using a SPECIFIC QUALITY of RAW MATERIAL (aluminum in this case), and FINISHED to pass the strictest QUALITY CONTROL. The barrel is semi-forged spun aluminum, while the face is PRESSURE CAST for strength. Pressure casting makes the aluminum density more consistent. Then they are put together with titanium bolts, and pre-balanced during assembly. This process helps lessen the wheel weights once you mount your tires.

Taking one step back, the first few prototypes of a wheel is subjected and MUST pass TUV testing (like appliance UL and the NHSTA). A lot of R&D and a lot of wheels are DESTROYED before the wheels are made available for sale.

The REPLICA version on the other hand, is made by the Asian Entrepreneur that infringes on another companies' product line (Brabus in this case). They take the design and remanufactures it employing the cheapest way possible.

Inferior raw material is used, and that the 2-piece look is replicated using PLASTIC INJECTION MOLDING for the bolts. The wheel manufacturing uses what is known as GRAVITY CAST process. This is simply melting aluminum and pouring it to a shape mold, then gravity takes over to fill all voids until the aluminum hardens.

Gravity cast is the cheapest way for manufacturing melted metal products... the problem is that it results in HEAVY SPOTS and allows VOIDS in the cross section. I think I do NOT need to explain what consequence that makes.

Then the replica wheels are sprayed with the cheapest clear coat then boxed ready for marketing.

Bottom line - you decide if you will put replicas on your high end car. I won't.
Old 05-21-2005 | 08:33 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Lots of places

Originally Posted by ERINIC
Hi, Erinic.

Lots of tire shops sell take-offs and performance stores do, too. You live in a pretty large metro area so if you spend some time on the phone you'll probably find some as well. Craigslist is also a decent place to find used wheels; the nice thing about CL and the local shops is hey, it's local and you can go examine the wheels for yourself to ensure there isn't a problem that isn't showing up in the pictures people post. (I've run into this before...)

Good luck and happy shopping,
Greg
Old 05-21-2005 | 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by thearle
It sounds like you have not done your research and based your post on speculation. Let's discuss the Brabus Monoblock 6.

The main difference is the CONSTRUCTION. Brabus wheels (at least in the 20) is a 2-piece system, which is known in the industry as MODULAR. There is the BARREL, and then there is the FACE.

Each piece is made to strict standards, using a SPECIFIC QUALITY of RAW MATERIAL (aluminum in this case), and FINISHED to pass the strictest QUALITY CONTROL. The barrel is semi-forged spun aluminum, while the face is PRESSURE CAST for strength. Pressure casting makes the aluminum density more consistent. Then they are put together with titanium bolts, and pre-balanced during assembly. This process helps lessen the wheel weights once you mount your tires.

Taking one step back, the first few prototypes of a wheel is subjected and MUST pass TUV testing (like appliance UL and the NHSTA). A lot of R&D and a lot of wheels are DESTROYED before the wheels are made available for sale.

The REPLICA version on the other hand, is made by the Asian Entrepreneur that infringes on another companies' product line (Brabus in this case). They take the design and remanufactures it employing the cheapest way possible.

Inferior raw material is used, and that the 2-piece look is replicated using PLASTIC INJECTION MOLDING for the bolts. The wheel manufacturing uses what is known as GRAVITY CAST process. This is simply melting aluminum and pouring it to a shape mold, then gravity takes over to fill all voids until the aluminum hardens.

Gravity cast is the cheapest way for manufacturing melted metal products... the problem is that it results in HEAVY SPOTS and allows VOIDS in the cross section. I think I do NOT need to explain what consequence that makes.

Then the replica wheels are sprayed with the cheapest clear coat then boxed ready for marketing.

Bottom line - you decide if you will put replicas on your high end car. I won't.
Wow, someone should hire you as a PR person. You're good at regurgitating press pieces. I just wish you took time to read my post.

Remember, Brabus doesn't make wheels. The same SPECIAL PROCESS you recitated is used by many other german/japanese tuner companies which pay the same manufacturer to make their own line of wheels. But instead, BBS charges $1200 for their 20" BBS LM. Lowenhart charges $1200 per wheel for most of their 20"s. Only Brabus has the audacity to charge $1700 for a cast wheel.

No matter how fancy you make the casting process sound, it doesn't hold a light against the aluminum forged wheels made by HRE/Iforged/DPE. And you know what? Iforged charges $1k for their 20" wheel. You think your beloved cast wheel is stronger/lighter/better than a forged aluminum wheel?

We are talking about value. Brabus charges an arm and a leg for something that isn't that great/unique/special, no matter how many times you bold face and capitalize the words.

If the replica wheels are such horrible quality, then why are they TUV approved? Where are the stories of replica wheels cracking and falling apart while on a moving car? Where are the complaints of poor quality? Are there any complaints at all?

You are right, the bottom line is it's the customer's decision. You are buying for the brand name and the right to "brag" about having an authentic. Don't lie to yourself into believing you have something special.
Old 05-21-2005 | 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by jl88
Wow, someone should hire you as a PR person. You're good at regurgitating press pieces. I just wish you took time to read my post.

Remember, Brabus doesn't make wheels. The same SPECIAL PROCESS you recitated is used by many other german/japanese tuner companies which pay the same manufacturer to make their own line of wheels. But instead, BBS charges $1200 for their 20" BBS LM. Lowenhart charges $1200 per wheel for most of their 20"s. Only Brabus has the audacity to charge $1700 for a cast wheel.

No matter how fancy you make the casting process sound, it doesn't hold a light against the aluminum forged wheels made by HRE/Iforged/DPE. And you know what? Iforged charges $1k for their 20" wheel. You think your beloved cast wheel is stronger/lighter/better than a forged aluminum wheel?

We are talking about value. Brabus charges an arm and a leg for something that isn't that great/unique/special, no matter how many times you bold face and capitalize the words.

If the replica wheels are such horrible quality, then why are they TUV approved? Where are the stories of replica wheels cracking and falling apart while on a moving car? Where are the complaints of poor quality? Are there any complaints at all?

You are right, the bottom line is it's the customer's decision. You are buying for the brand name and the right to "brag" about having an authentic. Don't lie to yourself into believing you have something special.
Replica wheels do NOT have TUV or JWL approval (if I am wrong, show me a picture of one). In an accident that involves an impact on a wheel, replica wheels tend to crack or split instead of flexing - a fact attributed to the quality and density of the aluminum used. At the end of the day, it is safety-related.

As for the argument relating to value, you get what you pay for. First, you get a 2-piece versus a 2-piece wanna be. Secondly, have you really sat down and compared the finish and detail of a replica, or in your example, compare HRE vs. DPE vs. IForged? Third, try counting the wheel weights between a replica and the real deal after the tires have been mounted. But I agree with you that perhaps many of us cannot justify such differences for $1000+ more each wheel.

I purchased CARLSSON ULTRALIGHTS - a fully forged wheel more expensive than the Brabus, or HRE, or other wheels you discussed. I purchased it for the same reason why I chose to drive a Mercedes. Since it is now a personal matter, I must admit that my reason is that I cannot see myself driving a $100k+ SL with cheapo or fake wheels on it.

Do I lie to myself that I have something special? The answer is no, because if I answer yes, then I'd be driving a Chrysler with replica wheels off a Mercedes tuner.

BTW - Brabus wheels in 20's are made by a company called Avus. Avus makes wheels for TRD, NISMO, MAE, RALLI-ART, and other racing-inspired companies. Mercedes wheels (and some Brabus and Carlssons) are made by a company called Ronal. Carlsson Forged are made by FOMB-APP (Each Ultralight wheel takes about a week to cut using a CNC machine running 24 hours a day). HRE's, DPE (not Design Plastics) and IForged use the same supplier which is ARS based in San Diego County. Where they differ are the finishing and their assembly hardware.

Replica wheels are made in high-tech asian facilities without regard.

Food for thought - if replica wheel manufacturers make wheels which are what you claim, then why do OE wheels on a Mercedes still use companies like RONAL - which is definitely more expensive?
Old 05-21-2005 | 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Replica wheels do NOT have TUV or JWL approval (if I am wrong, show me a picture of one).
Here is a whole catalog of replica wheels with TuV certification. These wheels are made in Germany.
http://www.rhwheelsdirect.com/rh_cat...spekt_9_03.pdf
http://www.rhwheelsdirect.com/index.html
Old 05-22-2005 | 01:24 AM

Thanks for the link.

The subject was knock-off wheels from Asia.
Old 05-22-2005 | 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart

BAM! SMACK DOWN!
Old 05-24-2005 | 10:37 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Thanks for the link.

The subject was knock-off wheels from Asia.
way to change the subject. You asked for replica wheels with TUV or JWL approval and He showed you. AND the subject was REPLICA wheels, not knock-off wheels from Asia, thank you.

btw, this happened on the rims of a new 545i. Please go on about your theory of how brand name and oem rims are superior.

Old 05-24-2005 | 10:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Oh my god, what happened to that car?
Old 05-24-2005 | 10:50 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Oh my god, what happened to that car?
no idea...it was posted on e46fanatics with similar topics about replica rims and then this guy post these pics and everyone just shuts up.
Old 05-24-2005 | 10:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

I guess it kinda happened here too
Old 05-24-2005 | 10:56 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by FrankW
way to change the subject. You asked for replica wheels with TUV or JWL approval and He showed you. AND the subject was REPLICA wheels, not knock-off wheels from Asia, thank you.
btw, this happened on the rims of a new 545i. Please go on about your theory of how brand name and oem rims are superior.
I can only guess that wheel had a mind of its own and wanted off that eye-sore of a automobile (grin)...

~ Ian

Last edited by IanSL55; 05-24-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2005 | 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by FrankW

ANYTHING CAN AND WILL BREAK given the right conditions that promote structural failure. In your pictures, you MUST take into account what these conditions were on the BMW prior to that rim failure.

One thing that can be guaranteed though, should that same conditions impact a non-rated replica wheel, the extent of the damage will be much greater. So next time, please provide the forensics of what you rebuttal posts.

The fact of the matter is that the argument here states that replica wheels (which was originally pointed by someone else from Asia) have higher probabilities of failure, than those with the government-imposed standards. Period... nothing more, nothing less (aside from being a FAKE copy of an original, of course).

No offense, it all boils down to one's budget, hence why some of us drive a $30k car and others drive a car more expensive than the average California house.

And BTW - from the posted link's main website...

Each RH wheel comes with TuV certification. Unlike here, people in Germany are allowed to enjoy fast driving -- there is no speed limit on the Autobahn. To allow for such extreme speeds, every piece of equipment and accessory put on a car in Germany has to meet or exceed TuV standards. Imagine driving 260 km/h... you need to trust your vehicle, you need to trust each and every rim, tire, bolt and nut that you put on that car. We are offering you the RH TuV cerified rims. We will even print the rim’s certificate for you. Knowing that the wheels are highest quality and come with highest standard certification will give you peace of mind.
Old 05-25-2005 | 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Couple interesting things...

1. No one is taking into account one of the main reasons that the OE or original wheel is more expensive. It's because the manufacturer of the real one has the development cost in terms of what works, what doesn't, what fits well, what doesn't, packaging, marketing, warrantee-ing and insuring, EVERYTHING that it takes to bring a new wheel to market. Obviously, there is not $1700 worth of materials or marketing costs in a Brabus wheel, nor $1500 of materials in a 19" AMG three piece. Have you given any thought to how much of that money is held back for waranty cost or more importantly, for liability insurance? If that customer with the 545 had run that thing into a tree, I would have been among the first to file suit against BMW NA, knowing that they were a reputable orgainization with insurance/resources to back up that product. The replica manufacturers haven't given this a thought, and many never will. If you can get them from a reputalbe seller who will back them up, cool. But if I was going to buy some, I think I'd buy 5 or 6, not 4. Bottom line is that there are some quality replicas out there, and some lousy ones. Some quality OE wheels too, and some lousy ones. Just depends on what's important to you.
2. Also find it amusing that someone would bring up a blurb from the RH website touting thier quality. Most hi-po guys from Germany wouldn't consider putting a Richard Hoffken wheel on their quaity car. Yet they have TUV. Just goes to show....
Old 05-25-2005 | 09:58 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
ANYTHING CAN AND WILL BREAK given the right conditions that promote structural failure. In your pictures, you MUST take into account what these conditions were on the BMW prior to that rim failure.

One thing that can be guaranteed though, should that same conditions impact a non-rated replica wheel, the extent of the damage will be much greater. So next time, please provide the forensics of what you rebuttal posts.

The fact of the matter is that the argument here states that replica wheels (which was originally pointed by someone else from Asia) have higher probabilities of failure, than those with the government-imposed standards. Period... nothing more, nothing less (aside from being a FAKE copy of an original, of course).

No offense, it all boils down to one's budget, hence why some of us drive a $30k car and others drive a car more expensive than the average California house.

And BTW - from the posted link's main website...

Each RH wheel comes with TuV certification. Unlike here, people in Germany are allowed to enjoy fast driving -- there is no speed limit on the Autobahn. To allow for such extreme speeds, every piece of equipment and accessory put on a car in Germany has to meet or exceed TuV standards. Imagine driving 260 km/h... you need to trust your vehicle, you need to trust each and every rim, tire, bolt and nut that you put on that car. We are offering you the RH TuV cerified rims. We will even print the rim’s certificate for you. Knowing that the wheels are highest quality and come with highest standard certification will give you peace of mind.
ROFL...what you said are all speculation of what "might" happen to the replica rims based on your biased assumption. Regarding the picture of the 545 rims you didn't think I know anything can and will break depending on the condition? Obviously you didn't think that way, so thanks for stating the obvious. That car only went through a pot-hole which usually people would only get a bent rim.

btw, I went through the same pot-hole that my friend went through around where he lives at same spd limit, guess what happened to his "authentic" ACS type III when nothing happened to mine.

FYI, my friend's factory in Taiwan used to supply Moven with their replica wheels before they get cheap and went to China. Do you think that Moven would risk selling non-rated/certified rims in the States? I also would like to know your opinion on the ASA wheels licensed by BBS which makes tons of replica AMG wheels and BBS wheels. However I do agree that not all replica wheels have great quality. Velocity wheels for example have some of the worst quality for replica wheels from their paint quality to getting the detail right.

Last edited by FrankW; 05-25-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2005 | 10:50 AM

2012 E350 4matic/97 e320 and 01 ml320
i just bought a set of genuine 2 piece carlsson 2/6 used for an unbelievable price... just shop around in the forums also....
Attached Thumbnails Brabus look a likes-img_0941.jpg   Brabus look a likes-img_0938.jpg   Brabus look a likes-img_0950.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Brabus look a likes