W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, taking er in for service tomorrow....1st time with mods.....SCARED!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Okay, taking er in for service tomorrow....1st time with mods.....SCARED!

Gotta get regular service plus some other stuff done.....like front end align etc.

Honestly, how would you think I approach this? Just be as nice as I can and upfront with service manager?......Should I slip him some cash?

What is the worst that can happen......they can just "red flag" me in the computer in case I toast the motor right??

Was thinking of playing dumb......"well I bought this car with some mods done by the dealer in Chicago.....not sure what they are, but they told me not to flash the ECU or change the pulleys?" ahhhh maybe that's too stupid.

Helllllppppp????
Old 05-22-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
I struggled with the same question.

I've had my car in for service twice. The first time without mods, the second time with mods. Both times I gave my service advisor $100. (The service is free, so the $100 is cheap.)

Anyway, I spoke with him before I took the car in with the mods and explained to him that I "thinking" about having some mods done, and wanted to be up front about it, but I didn't want any notations made in my file that the car had been modified. I also told him that, of course, I didn't want him to do anything that might get him into trouble.

His response was: "It's cool, you got nothing to worry about" and that he wanted to take a spin in the car to check out the mods.

Who knows, maybe I'm "red-flagged" for having mods. But, a number of months ago, I read another posting here that the owner told his SA about the mods and the SA appreciated the owner being up front about it. That seemed reasonable to me.

Finally, something else I considered is that it's not like the mods are that easy to miss. I'm not that mechanical, and I can spot the mods: headers, etc. It seemed likely that they would discover the mods anyway, so (I thought) better to be straight up about it instead of trying to hide the mods (or appearing to try to hide them).

In the end, who knows; I may have screwed myself by making the disclosure.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
they cannot detect ecu mods and the pulley mod would take a detailed measurement. i wouldn't do a thing including a tip.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C320 Coupe MT
I thought that the only trouble having any type of mods could get you in was if there was a warranty issue that could be directly traced to the mod. Isn't that true?

If so, it's probably a good idea to be upfront about it, but I wouldn't start throwing money around - that's kind of an admission of guilt, which you shouldn't have any of.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:30 PM

It's true that if there is a denial of warranty, the malfunction must be traced directly to the modification and the burden is on MB to demonstrate that the modification caused the malfunction. I brought this issue up and Jakpro1 flamed me (just a bit); thread title was: "info on how warranty is voided."

I know that a reprogrammed ECU is not detectible to the eye, but, at least with my car, some mods are evident: the headers are of a completely different design that stock and, while I haven't any "detailed measurements" of the pulleys, I do think that a decent mechanic would notice "somethings different" -- I can tell the differences.

In the end, "you pays your money and you takes your chances."
Old 05-22-2005, 01:25 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Just be honest and upfront with everyone and you will be fine. I would of introduced the idea to your sm before I modded. I ran it by my sm way before and he could not wait to ge the car in and drive it. I take care of my sm around holidays and take him to luch every few months.

I have the K2 mod and waiting on the OEM AMG LSD which is being shipped straight to the dealer for install. Once Kleemann has completed the cooling and throttle body mod, my dealer will install it.

They just finished re-checking my K2 install to make sure I had no exhaust leaks and no loose bolts from heat cycling.

I know that this is not the norm for most owners. How many of us can ask our service manager to inspect your mods that they did not install.

Hope this helps
Old 05-22-2005, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
they cannot detect ecu mods and the pulley mod would take a detailed measurement.
That is true...BUT, my Kleemann headers are welded right to the system, plus the extra rumble would definitely tip off even a half way decent tech.

Thanks for the input you guys....gonna bring a hundred just in case, and will just be up front and smile.

Wish me luck.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:15 PM

Jakpro1

if a service advisor gives u grief... try to walk around and talk to the techs personally.

They only get paid for changing out/fixing stuff...they dont get paid to trouble shoot

so they usually dont care if you have mods/ they just want to fix ur car and replace as much as they can.. its only the ignornat service advisors that you have to battle.

The techs can usually point you to the "correct" service advisor.

~fk
Old 05-22-2005, 06:08 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
The service department is often the 'bread and butter' of a dealership and the service advisors are there to make you feel good and comfortable... that's part of their job - to keep you happy and coming back. That said, I'm of the opinion it's going to be all smiles, handshakes, and good will - right up until the unfortunate moment something goes wrong... and then you might very well hear, "You know Mr ___, we can't honor your warranty because of all the bolt on mods...".

Remember, they're running a business... They're not going to swallow parts and labor costs because they think you're cool.

~ Ian

Last edited by IanSL55; 05-22-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:15 PM

E55
Personally, I wouldn't mention it since it sounds like the work you're having done doesn't concern the mods. But I wouldn't lie about it if asked either. Doubt they'll mention it unless the complaint involves a modded system. At least you're honest this way.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
They're not going to swallow parts and labor costs because they think you're cool.
Good point...I really wouldn't even sy anything....cept that I have to ask them not to flash my ECU....according to prelim call, there is a software update for ECU and it will be flashed.

Debating whether to just let them do it and have Cory reflash. There is also a harmonic balancer recall....can you imagine if they take mine off and replace with a stock one.....noooooooooo!!!

I gotta tell um...wish me luck.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 05-22-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:45 PM

Don't stress over it too much. You're bringing it in for service not for any warranty issues.

You may be SOL if they flash your ECU. Until it can be reflashed at least. What is/does the "harmonic balancer" do?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Good point...I really wouldn't even sy anything....cept that I have to ask them not to flash my ECU....according to prelim call, there is a software update for ECU and it will be flashed.

Debating whether to just let them do it and have Cory reflash. There is also a harmonic balancer recall....can you imagine if they take mine off and replace with a stock one.....noooooooooo!!!

I gotta tell um...wish me luck.
Just make sure they make a note in your record not to reflash. My SM made sure they had that in my file so some idiot does not flash my ECU without it being approved by me.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:19 PM

dont be so worried.... find a tech thats wants to work...have him help u write up the service advisor notes and then use the tech every time u go in.

Makes everyone happy... mbz will never know about ur mods so they wont void anything.

slip him a present every now and then if u want anything major replaced for no reason and thats it.

At least this is how we do it in So Cal.

fk
Old 05-22-2005, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by firstkill
dont be so worried.... find a tech thats wants to work...have him help u write up the service advisor notes and then use the tech every time u go in.

Makes everyone happy... mbz will never know about ur mods so they wont void anything.

slip him a present every now and then if u want anything major replaced for no reason and thats it.

At least this is how we do it in So Cal.

fk
If you have they headers they will. They stick out like a neon light when compared to crappy OEM ones.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:46 PM

dunno.. i guess the things are different where u are at...

here they dont care if u even have aftermarket Supercharger/full ICE/ anything goes....

just find a nice tech

~fk
Old 05-23-2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by firstkill
dunno.. i guess the things are different where u are at... here they dont care if u even have aftermarket Supercharger/full ICE/ anything goes.... just find a nice tech ~fk
Is that a assumption or is that a fact? Have you had any warranty issues where they covered you regardless of your mods?

I have a terrific relationship w/ Fletcher Jones here in Newport Beach here in SoCal (having bought or leased 4 MB's valued at about $325K from them in the last 4 years), and you're right - they don't care what you do to your car when you roll it in for service...

However, if you ended up blowing your engine I can't see them ever saying, "OK, you did all these Kleeman mods, headers and the like, and the engine is now shot to hell... but don't worry - you're under warranty and we'll absorb the 30-40K it costs to put in a new engine...". You're fooling yourself if you think that's ever going to happen.

Note, it's not going to be the tech or the service advisor who makes the call on these big ticket things... it will probably be the general manager or someone else way up the ladder. These dealerships are big, profitable businesses for a reason. No matter how much they like you they're going to make decisions that make good business sense. As buyers of these expensive cars, so should we.

~ Ian

Last edited by IanSL55; 05-23-2005 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:10 AM

Never a whole motor issue.. just parts...in the engine bay
including those on the same belt that people replace with pully mods.

But i mean the topic of this thread was just for "service" so i assuming that he has not had anything major happen.

So whole engine I gotta agree with IanSL55.... but water pumps/power steering pumps/various sensors....you should be good to go

transmission/cams/lifters.. depends on how good your relationship is with the dealer

fk
Old 05-23-2005, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
They can detect everything if they want....I'd say give the service manager some Cash ($100)...

It always worked for me, changed many parts under warranty, even when the has past warraty times already... no matter which car...

At the end of the day... If you have some probs it will definately be chaper for you, cause he will sort it out and + you'll have you guy, who will always help you...

$$$works!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 07:53 AM

Guys,

For the most part we are talking about very simple and non-invasive mods. The chances of a ECU, pulley, and headers ever causing you anything not to fixed under warranty is slim to none. I have had these conversations with many head tech's and managers at both local dealerships.

Enjoy your car and for those who have not done these basic mods you are missing out. As I said before, haven driven my car stock for over 16 months it is amazing My stock E55 seemed slow to what this cars now does.

The fact that these cars can trap the 1/4 mile time a good 8-10 sec faster then stock when the car is 4,300 pounds is sick!

You will be fine

Last edited by 04E55 AMG; 05-23-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Guys,

For the most part we are talking about very simple and non-invasive mods. The chances of a ECU, pulley, and headers ever causing you anything not to fixed under warranty is slim to none. I have had these conversations with manny head tech's and managers at both local dealerships.

Enjoy your car and for those who have not done these basic mods you are missing out. As I said before, haven driven my car stock for over 16 months it is amazing My stock E55 seemed slow to what this cars now does.

The fact that these cars can trap the 1/4 mile time a good 6-8 sec faster then stock when the car is 4,300 pounds is sick!

You will be fine
Well said.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly

The fact that these cars can trap the 1/4 mile time a good 8-10 sec faster then stock when the car is 4,300 pounds is sick!

You will be fine
Spero, your car is sick but I need to see the time slip for your 4.5 sec 1/4 mile run.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rock
Spero, your car is sick but I need to see the time slip for your 4.5 sec 1/4 mile run.

Hey Rock,

Are you still thinking about those upgrades we spoke about several months ago?
Old 05-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
You bet!!!

Wanted to get a few miles on the car first. Just turned 3,000 miles. I will post as soon as I get the K2 completed. I went to Norwalk raceway two weeks ago to get a baseline 1/4 mile. I did 12.5 at 115mph and made a few friends. I got a standing ovation on my second run.......Not too many four door sedans at that track. It was all good.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:49 PM

For the most part we are talking about very simple and non-invasive mods. The chances of a ECU, pulley, and headers ever causing you anything not to fixed under warranty is slim to none. I have had these conversations with manny head tech's and managers at both local dealerships.
It may be non-invasive and the chances of it being the root cause may be slim or none, but do you really believe that it won't be called into play should something go wrong down the line. It's a business. The techs, the sales guys, and the managers are going to tell you what you want to hear, but any well run business is going to run the numbers at the end of the day and do what makes the most economic sense. It's not as if they're doing something unethical either.

More to the point... I mean, why would MB have specific language in the warranty stating that modifications may void or negatively effect the warranty? Why do tuners like Kleemann, Renntech, and Brabus state that they are not responsible if MB decides not honor the original warranty after they modify the car with their parts? Why would MB itself, specifically state that if you buy the mods through them (at a premium of course), that they will in fact honor your original warranty?

We can agree to disagree here... I'm just going with whats on paper. Legally and technically, many of our mods void the warranty. That's a cold hard fact. I personally don't believe that should something go wrong in a big, ugly and expensive, that MB will pick up the tab... but thats my personal viewpoint.

~ Ian

Last edited by IanSL55; 05-23-2005 at 10:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Okay, taking er in for service tomorrow....1st time with mods.....SCARED!