W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

First Track Run at 1/8 mile raceway: Input Appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2005 | 08:22 PM

'06 M5
First Track Run at 1/8 mile raceway: Input Appreciated

Well, I did it yesterday finally. I raced the beast. Here's the stats from my best 1/8 mile run (this was only a 1/8 mile track):

temp: 94
humidity: 58%

R/T: .125
60' : 1.899
330: 5.329
MPH: 66.79
1/8: 8.157
MPH: 85.62

I didn't have any drag radials (just used my PS2's) and the track was absolutely terrible (at least that what everyone, including the officials said, plus I had massive spinout).

I used ESP on (when I remembered to turn it back on after my burnouts doh!).

Obviously I need to work on my 60' time and focus on getting it below 1.75. Is that partially a function of the track prep, or is it 100% my newbie skills at work? Also, I used some on-line 1/8->1/4 mile conversion calculators which said that I might (realizing they are just a guestimate) get a 12.789 in the 1/4 mile. I feel like that is extremely slow. Would this be largely because of my lack of drag skills, or the track prep, or the temp, or all the above?

I appreciate everyone's input.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 06-06-2005 | 08:29 PM

2004 E55
I don't know where all my slips are, so i don't know my 8th mile times, but i've done 12.39 in the quarter with a best 60' of 1.95. So i'd have to say i think your launch is pretty good, especially for a bad track.
Old 06-06-2005 | 08:30 PM

2016 GLC300 sport
well your 60' is good, so it seems like you're spinning past the 60' mark on the track. I would say get some sticky tires and go back. I ran a 8.0 @ 88 on conti's in my dads bone stock e55 with a 1.8X 60' on a decent track.
Old 06-06-2005 | 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your 60' time is pretty good. My best ever with DR's is 1.74 I think. Your humidity is not bad but the temp is HOT. I can't imagine track prep is too bad if you're getting a 1.8 60' time. A 12.78 with a lot of spin is not bad. I've run in the 13's with a lot of spin on stock tires. Minus the factory animals out there, your car should run around 12.5 on average. Being two tenths of a second from that on your first time in 94 degree tempurature ain't bad! Nice work.
Old 06-06-2005 | 09:43 PM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by dgussin1
well your 60' is good, so it seems like you're spinning past the 60' mark on the track. I would say get some sticky tires and go back. I ran a 8.0 @ 88 on conti's in my dads bone stock e55 with a 1.8X 60' on a decent track.
You're right on. I was consistently spinning in second gear past the 60' mark. I watched that darn esp light turn on like mad. Very frustrating. Especially since I lost to a darn cobra (with upgraded pulley, diablo ecu, nitto dr's, and upgraded h-pipe) who got a 7.9x on the same run.
Old 06-06-2005 | 09:50 PM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Your 60' time is pretty good. My best ever with DR's is 1.74 I think. Your humidity is not bad but the temp is HOT. I can't imagine track prep is too bad if you're getting a 1.8 60' time. A 12.78 with a lot of spin is not bad. I've run in the 13's with a lot of spin on stock tires. Minus the factory animals out there, your car should run around 12.5 on average. Being two tenths of a second from that on your first time in 94 degree tempurature ain't bad! Nice work.
Thanks Derek...I appreciate the encouragement. Would DR's help that much? Would simply adding DR's allow me to break into the upper 7's in the 1/8 mile? Also, how much does temperature play in the equation? Should I expect the times to drop significantly simply by trying again in the winter when it's 50-60 degrees outside?
Old 06-06-2005 | 10:21 PM

2016 GLC300 sport
Originally Posted by darren_dallas
Thanks Derek...I appreciate the encouragement. Would DR's help that much? Would simply adding DR's allow me to break into the upper 7's in the 1/8 mile? Also, how much does temperature play in the equation? Should I expect the times to drop significantly simply by trying again in the winter when it's 50-60 degrees outside?
you should definately be able to hit 7's on dr's...I would check in this thread and get some rims and tires. :v
Old 06-06-2005 | 10:24 PM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by dgussin1
you should definately be able to hit 7's on dr's...I would check in this thread and get some rims and tires. :v
Thank you dgussin1. I'll look into getting dr's then. I appreciate your help.
Old 06-06-2005 | 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think so but don't know. With my whole setup, I run 7.3's at 98-99 mph. I'm now running 1.1 seconds faster in the quarter than when I was bone stock.

Temps play a big role, especially with superchargers and our cars. Lay some icebags on it the next time you are taking a break or when you get to the track and haven't started running yet.
Old 06-06-2005 | 11:48 PM

'06 M5
I think so but don't know. With my whole setup, I run 7.3's at 98-99 mph. I'm now running 1.1 seconds faster in the quarter than when I was bone stock.

Temps play a big role, especially with superchargers and our cars. Lay some icebags on it the next time you are taking a break or when you get to the track and haven't started running yet.
Thanks again Derek. Do you lay the ice bags on top of the supercharger or somewhere else?

Also, what have you done to your car to run 7.3's?
Old 06-07-2005 | 12:11 PM

'08 CLS63
at least you raced your car...the times will only get better as you go more often and learn what your car likes best.

if i'm correct, you have a stage 2 car. something that looks wrong to me is the mph...this always tells horsepower...no matter what the e.t. is. the mph looks kinda slow for a stage 2 car. did you let the car cool down at all??...it needs to be cooled down for at least an hour before you start running...if you don't, the car gets some serious heat soak from the trip to the track. also...every degree of temperature is worth 1 horsepower. 94 degrees is super hot!!...if you can, run the car in the late evening.

i'm no expert...just my $.02 cents worth! good luck!

btw...did you run at kennadale?

john

Well, I did it yesterday finally. I raced the beast. Here's the stats from my best 1/8 mile run (this was only a 1/8 mile track):

temp: 94
humidity: 58%

R/T: .125
60' : 1.899
330: 5.329
MPH: 66.79
1/8: 8.157
MPH: 85.62

I didn't have any drag radials (just used my PS2's) and the track was absolutely terrible (at least that what everyone, including the officials said, plus I had massive spinout).

I used ESP on (when I remembered to turn it back on after my burnouts doh!).

Obviously I need to work on my 60' time and focus on getting it below 1.75. Is that partially a function of the track prep, or is it 100% my newbie skills at work? Also, I used some on-line 1/8->1/4 mile conversion calculators which said that I might (realizing they are just a guestimate) get a 12.789 in the 1/4 mile. I feel like that is extremely slow. Would this be largely because of my lack of drag skills, or the track prep, or the temp, or all the above?

I appreciate everyone's input.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 06-07-2005 | 12:21 PM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by housclass
at least you raced your car...the times will only get better as you go more often and learn what your car likes best.

if i'm correct, you have a stage 2 car. something that looks wrong to me is the mph...this always tells horsepower...no matter what the e.t. is. the mph looks kinda slow for a stage 2 car. did you let the car cool down at all??...it needs to be cooled down for at least an hour before you start running...if you don't, the car gets some serious heat soak from the trip to the track. also...every degree of temperature is worth 1 horsepower. 94 degrees is super hot!!...if you can, run the car in the late evening.

i'm no expert...just my $.02 cents worth! good luck!

btw...did you run at kennadale?

john
John,

Yes it was at Kennedale. Have you every run there? Also, upon arriving at the raceway I immediately went to my first run. There was probably a 5 minute lag between arriving and my first launch, so there wasn't any cool down time from my 40 minute drive from Frisco, TX to the Kennedale, TX track.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Sounds like I might benefit from from one of the water pump upgrades from Kleemann or Evo. I will try to run in the late eveing sometime, but as you know even the evenings in TX are 80+ degrees during the summer months. I hate this time of year down here. I can't wait to run in the late fall.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 06-07-2005 | 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks again Derek. Do you lay the ice bags on top of the supercharger or somewhere else?

Also, what have you done to your car to run 7.3's?
I lay'em right on top, whatever that is. I have Kleemann Stage 2, Kleemann LSD, BF DR's, and a 65 shot.

I did not notice your mods. The previous poster is correct when he says your mph should be higher, if the mods are working. Knowing nothing about that brand, I don't know what they should be putting out.
Old 06-07-2005 | 02:13 PM

'06 M5
I lay'em right on top, whatever that is. I have Kleemann Stage 2, Kleemann LSD, BF DR's, and a 65 shot.

I did not notice your mods. The previous poster is correct when he says your mph should be higher, if the mods are working. Knowing nothing about that brand, I don't know what they should be putting out.
That's good info. I do know that currently my RPM's can go to about 6700-6800 and when it does I feel the power drop off pretty fast. I'm waiting on some ECU tuning and hope to have that finished this week so I can see if that changes things for me. Other than that I will get some DR's this week so I can try some more runs this coming weekend.

Would the heat suck that much HP to affect my speed, or is that a stretch?

Thanks again,

Darren
Old 06-07-2005 | 03:56 PM

'08 CLS63
back in the day, Kennedale use to be a great 1/8 mile track...we always use to say kennedale was the best hooking track in texas...things may have changed over the last 3 years...i ran my mustang there...would 60' 1.55's all day long. does larry croft still own the place?

when you get to the track next time, go straight to tech and get checked in, then go to the pits, pop the hood and like derek said, put some ice on the supercharger and let the car sit for a solid hour. then make your way to the staging lanes and to the start line with as little engine time as possible...and keep the heater on full blast until you get ready to make a run... leave the tranny in s-mode. i think you'll see a big improvement!! ...heat in these engines kill HP...big time!! good luck! just before dark is the best time to run...nights in texas get to be humid as hell!

again...my $.02 cents worth...it works for me...i've run as quick as 7.76 and 92 mph in stock trim...at HRP...however, it was 65 degrees outside. check out my time slips at dragtimes.com

good luck!

john

John,

Yes it was at Kennedale. Have you every run there? Also, upon arriving at the raceway I immediately went to my first run. There was probably a 5 minute lag between arriving and my first launch, so there wasn't any cool down time from my 40 minute drive from Frisco, TX to the Kennedale, TX track.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Sounds like I might benefit from from one of the water pump upgrades from Kleemann or Evo. I will try to run in the late eveing sometime, but as you know even the evenings in TX are 80+ degrees during the summer months. I hate this time of year down here. I can't wait to run in the late fall.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 06-07-2005 | 04:00 PM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by housclass
back in the day, Kennedale use to be a great 1/8 mile track...we always use to say kennedale was the best hooking track in texas...things may have changed over the last 3 years...i ran my mustang there...would 60' 1.55's all day long. does larry croft still own the place?

when you get to the track next time, go straight to tech and get checked in, then go to the pits, pop the hood and like derek said, put some ice on the supercharger and let the car sit for a solid hour. then make your way to the staging lanes and to the start line with as little engine time as possible...and keep the heater on full blast until you get ready to make a run... leave the tranny in s-mode. i think you'll see a big improvement!! ...heat in these engines kill HP...big time!! good luck! just before dark is the best time to run...nights in texas get to be humid as hell!

again...my $.02 cents worth...it works for me...i've run as quick as 7.76 and 92 mph in stock trim...at HRP...however, it was 65 degrees outside. check out my time slips at dragtimes.com

good luck!

john

Thank you John. I'll follow what you and Derek posted and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Darren
Old 06-18-2005 | 04:02 PM

'06 M5
Went to the track (Kennedale, same as before) last night after doing some tweaks and got better results:

1st 2nd 3rd
----------------------------
R/T 1.044 .460 .584
60' 1.980 1.864 1.890
330 5.257 5.176 5.191
MPH 70.14 69.23 69.44
1/8 7.941 7.887 7.892
MPH 90.15 89.36 89.70

I'm still using my PS2's and the temp was 92 degrees with 66% humidity. Had some fantastic ecu work done which corrected my a/f problems. Is this more in line with what a pulley and headers should be showing on the track? I believe the numbers equate to roughly a 12.2-12.3 1/4 mile run. These runs were roughly .3 sec faster and 4.5 mph faster than the time before.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Cheers,

Darren