Sponsored by:

I No Longer Like My E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Kleeman is the only company who sells those crap BS LSD's.
\

All others are proper LSD?? Yes I will cede that the Kleemann LSD is just an old fashioned tried and true heavy duty posi traction. Obviously the posi system has been good enough to "eek" by in 100% of the muscle cars in the world for the past 35 years.

Called Cory at Kleemann personally, a man that has earned my trust with his patience of my non stop questions and his understanding of Mercedes that is truely astonishing, and he has NEVER had a Kleemann LSD returned due to failure.....in the US OR Denmark.

This "Kleemann LSD's fail every 5K" rumor is just a smear tactic from other companies and I think it's below the belt.

Again, is it the best option, NO. Cory will tell you himself, you need to purchase an SL65 rear and have it modified from it's 30% to a higher percent lockup. This rear plus custom modded half shafts and retro fitting would be the ultimate LSD. However if spending 10-15K on an LSD is not your thing, you go with the tried and true GM/Ford/Chrysler posi unit.

Millions of muscle cars, and of course the fastest street Mercedes in the world (Derek FSU) with probably upwards of 50+ hard launches on it...one pulling almost 11flat, can't be wrong.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 07-13-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dr Chill
For anyone interested, the car is getting a new radiator and transmission because the tranny cooler somehow developed a communication within it allowing coolant to mix with transmission fluid whih killed the tranny. The head tech knew right away what the problem was going to be since they've seen it before. All they have to do is take a few drops of tranny fluid and mix it with some test solvent to tell if it's contaminated.
Dr. Chill,

If you don't mind, can you tell me what kind of surging your are experiencing and in what type of driving situation?

My car has the same problem, but they weren't able to trace it to anything as the car wasn't throwing any fault codes.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-14-2005, 12:08 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
\

All others are proper LSD?? Yes I will cede that the Kleemann LSD is just an old fashioned tried and true heavy duty posi traction. Obviously the posi system has been good enough to "eek" by in 100% of the muscle cars in the world for the past 35 years.

Called Cory at Kleemann personally, a man that has earned my trust with his patience of my non stop questions and his understanding of Mercedes that is truely astonishing, and he has NEVER had a Kleemann LSD returned due to failure.....in the US OR Denmark.

This "Kleemann LSD's fail every 5K" rumor is just a smear tactic from other companies and I think it's below the belt.

Again, is it the best option, NO. Cory will tell you himself, you need to purchase an SL65 rear and have it modified from it's 30% to a higher percent lockup. This rear plus custom modded half shafts and retro fitting would be the ultimate LSD. However if spending 10-15K on an LSD is not your thing, you go with the tried and true GM/Ford/Chrysler posi unit.

Millions of muscle cars, and of course the fastest street Mercedes in the world (Derek FSU) with probably upwards of 50+ hard launches on it...one pulling almost 11flat, can't be wrong.
Ditto Run in the 11's all day and the launch is automatic with LSD. Car takes off like a rocket leaving 2 very black lines

BTW - Cory is the man and a guru when it comes to our cars as is Brad from Evo!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 SL550 / 07 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
ok evosport where is your diff... he says u have one.

wait they said they dont. they looked into getting some made but they dont have one due to production costs and economies of scale. not that many people want a real LSD so a batch of 20 is very expensive.

MKB's as i reccall was not a variable 100% locking diff but i could be wrong. then again i dorn feel like spending 5-8k for a diff. Between the diff and the software upgrades you are looking at a seriously high price.

simple
Evosport offers the diff on their site it's $4,500 USD with an option to buy right next to it, so I'd imagine they do sell them. But if they told you different I could be wrong.

I feel any upgrade offered for these cars is a complete rip off.

Sean.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:05 AM

07 SL550 / 07 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
\

I just don't agree with putting a cheapo unit like that in my $150,000 Merc. Something that would probably do more harm than good after a while of hard driving and you find tiny metal shavings in your diff. How much do they sell for? I'm pretty sure alot more than they're worth.

Last edited by Sean03S55; 07-14-2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:32 PM

2003 E55 AMG
For what it is worth, other than a few stalls in the first several months, my 03 with 35k miles has had no problems at all.

Unfortunate that many have not had my luck...

I couldn't be happier with my Benz, but can appreciate the frustration other feel with their problems...
Old 07-14-2005, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Originally Posted by onesixeight
Dr. Chill,

If you don't mind, can you tell me what kind of surging your are experiencing and in what type of driving situation?

My car has the same problem, but they weren't able to trace it to anything as the car wasn't throwing any fault codes.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris, the car would feel as if the torque converter was slipping while traveling at a steady 60-80 mph. When accelerating hard, you could feel it too. The tranny didn't shift normally either. There would be a delay in downshifting with hard acceleration and it would seem to vibrate when it shifted.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:18 PM

Chris, the car would feel as if the torque converter was slipping while traveling at a steady 60-80 mph. When accelerating hard, you could feel it too. The tranny didn't shift normally either. There would be a delay in downshifting with hard acceleration and it would seem to vibrate when it shifted.
Thank you Dr. Chill...

Sounds like similar problems...I'm waiting for my west coast MB rep to come down next week and approve a new transmission. I'm already on my 2nd one. My transmission makes a hard thunk when upshifting from 3-4. You can hear it and feel it.

Thanks again!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
For anyone interested, the car is getting a new radiator and transmission because the tranny cooler somehow developed a communication within it allowing coolant to mix with transmission fluid whih killed the tranny. The head tech knew right away what the problem was going to be since they've seen it before. All they have to do is take a few drops of tranny fluid and mix it with some test solvent to tell if it's contaminated.

OUCH! Good thing it's warranty. You said surging, I assumed all else was OK. Behr is the provider of radiators for MB, and they are usually pretty high quality. TPS or MAP could be the problem for 168. On W210's, the MAF is a common failure that doesn't necessarily cause a MIL.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Man Dr Chill, sorry to hear the E55 hasn't been good to you.
If it helps, I'm thinking of getting rid of my CLK55 for a CLS55. Now I"m nervous...my CLK55 has been trouble free...what if I get a lemon?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fast55
OUCH! Good thing it's warranty. You said surging, I assumed all else was OK. Behr is the provider of radiators for MB, and they are usually pretty high quality. TPS or MAP could be the problem for 168. On W210's, the MAF is a common failure that doesn't necessarily cause a MIL.
I already suggested those two things along with replacing the TCU... The shop forman said it's definetly the tranny that's on it's last legs... But he said they won't warranty it until the car is looked at by the west coast rep. Thyey're claiming abuse...umm..i do drive hard, but I wouldn't say I abuse the car.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:50 AM

M5
Originally Posted by onesixeight

Thanks,
Chris
I bet the faults are there and stored in history. It just wasn't occuring during the test. I'm beginning to think that dealers have a policy to not do anything about faults unless it occurs while they do their test. With BMW, their invoices just say, "...there are no faults currently present". If you request for the test results, I bet it will show the faults.

I don't mind electrical problems with my BMW. What bothers me is that they deny any liability by saying there are "no faults currently present". Then they don't do anything. In a sense, I'm learning to understand that you could screw around with the car and cause it to fault and then expect them to fix it under warranty. Then they get screwed. But, I'm seeing in most cases that these cars just simply suck when it comes to electricals.
Attached Thumbnails I No Longer Like My E55-gt1_2005.05.27.jpg  
Old 07-15-2005, 02:18 AM

Glad it will get fixed now Dr.Chill, hopefully this is your last time at the dealer for a while. My 2005 E60 BMW 525i, had a few minor problems like service lights and rattles, but it is all good now.

Anyway, as far as the brakes, AMG did a ****ty job with them. They are 100% looks and nothing else, they probley didn't expect anyone to track a 5000lb+ luxury seadan, but they should be up to par with the rest of the car I think.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:02 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 245 Likes on 178 Posts
Exclamation

Ok gentlemen, I now know what the problem is after speaking to my service advisor. Can anyone guess. I will log on again later tonight and see if anyone figured it out. I'll give you a hint, I should get my car back in a week or so.
See the link below:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...90#post1198490

This is becoming more an more of an issue...just great
Old 07-15-2005, 12:14 PM

2008 E63
I had this exact problem with my C32. Three times back to the dealer before they agreed there was a problem. Ultimately, they replaced the tranny and cooler just like yours.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
My first good service experience. Brought the car in on Tuesday at 11 am, received the car Friday at 2pm with new transmission, new radiator, new torque converter. It drives like it used to. I think I like it again.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:58 PM

04 E55
My first good service experience. Brought the car in on Tuesday at 11 am, received the car Friday at 2pm with new transmission, new radiator, new torque converter. It drives like it used to. I think I like it again.

I'm glad it worked out well for you. Time to start enjoying the beast again.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:37 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 245 Likes on 178 Posts
This radiator/transmission issue seems to be affecting 2003 through early 2004 E's, C's and CLK's...don't know about S classes...

What about the receptionist (I know who you are referring to) with the large ah, mammary glands? She is a little cutie

Last edited by RJC; 07-15-2005 at 10:11 PM.