Audio Install on W211 E55 HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Audio Install on W211 E55 HELP!!

Well, I was at my neighborhood stereo shop today and the installer could not figure out how to wire into an accesory power for the xm radio I am installing in my car. Anybody know where I can tap into safely? Also, how do you remove the damn head unit???
Old 07-30-2005, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
IIRC the antenna connection is not behind the head unit, but rather its in the trunk... so if you're looking to remove the HU to connect the FM Modulator, you want to connect in the trunk. Its under the carpet under a black plastic cover that runs the whole width of the car.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
IIRC the antenna connection is not behind the head unit, but rather its in the trunk... so if you're looking to remove the HU to connect the FM Modulator, you want to connect in the trunk. Its under the carpet under a black plastic cover that runs the whole width of the car.
Thanks for your help.
However, I'm not using an FM modulator. I'm going to use the AUX connection. Anyone know how to remove the head unit?
Old 07-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i believe they use a specialty tool, kinda like a t handle with just a straight piece of metal on it. is this a mom and pop or circuity city type place?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To remove the COMAND unit...

1. Pull up on transmission shifter surrounding cover...
2. Remove ashtray...you have to grip the side walls of the ashtray with your fingers and just pull outwards.
3. Remove CD Changer...there are 2 torx screws holding the changer down. I forget exactly what size torx screw...I think T20 if I'm not mistaken. Disconnect the wires and do not bend the fiber optics cable.
4. Remove 2 torx screws that hold the COMAND in place. COMAND should slide out after removing the screw.

I think those are all the steps to remove the COMAND unit.

-Chris
Old 07-31-2005, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the tip. I will take it back tomorrow with these instructions and report back. It's actually my friend's stereo shop. In my city you don't really get a lot of people with high end cars that are willing to have custom work done. They've worked on various Mercedes-Benz and BMW's, but this is actually the first W211 they've done. Besides this, the nicest one they've worked on is the brother's G-Wagen. The installer is just really scared to break anything on my car and doesnt want to take any chances.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by medici78
Thanks for the tip. I will take it back tomorrow with these instructions and report back. It's actually my friend's stereo shop. In my city you don't really get a lot of people with high end cars that are willing to have custom work done. They've worked on various Mercedes-Benz and BMW's, but this is actually the first W211 they've done. Besides this, the nicest one they've worked on is the brother's G-Wagen. The installer is just really scared to break anything on my car and doesnt want to take any chances.
No problem.. Shouldn't be too hard. I did the EURO COMAND swap in about 20 mins. Some of the CD changer connects are hard to pull off, but just be patient and don't try and yank anything off.