HEADERS without ECU upgrade.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Marcus,

I am not sure if some of those comments were aimed at my posts or not, but I am of the same viewpoint.

I know the car runs pig rich from the factory and adding the headers will make it run leaner. The main point I was trying to make was that if you were going to compare the Kleemann headers to the EVO headers I think the EVO will give you more power across the band than the Kleemann WITHOUT reprogramming.

My opinion is that the EVO will be able to maintain the boost level and the Kleemann design will probably result in a 1 or 2 lb drop in boost. Given this statement, the EVO design should make more power without reprogramming.

Of course, both headers will give you more power than the factory setup for a number of reasons, but, if you are comparing the 2 headers together and not wanting to do a reprogram the EVO would probably be a better choice.

Do you not agree?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Another factor would be underhood temps. I had previously thought that adding headers would increase underhood temps to a high degree. However, after taking a close look at the factory exhaust manifolds, I have come to believe this will not be the case. It seems the factory manifolds are also made from stainless steel of a similar gauge as aftermarket headers.
This leads me to believe that coated aftermarket headers will not only reduce EGT's, but also reduce underhood temps.
Thoughts?
Old 08-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Hey Cory,

Long time no talk. Thanks for jumping in and giving your input. Much appreciated!!

Originally Posted by CoryU
You will see great performance improvements with just the headers and no ECU. Of course, there is more HP to be had if the ECU is tuned for the headers. Contrary to what most people believe, you can actually REMOVE fuel and increase timing when adding headers due to the fact that EGT's drop significantly, as does exhaust back pressure. MB fuel dumps on the 55K cars to cool the combustion chamber post combustion event due to the huge restriction the factory manifolds and downpipes have. MB runs very rich AFR's from the factory to keep NOX emissions down. You're safe running just headers without ECU (you'll actually be on the rich side), but you won't realize the maximum gains if you don't do the ECU.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Found this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....6&postcount=39
Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Interesting.. 35hp & 20lb/ft at the crank.. This gives me something to shoot for with my EVO headers.

I was supposed to have the headers and other components installed this past Saturday & Sunday. Mechanic cancelled on me and rescheduled for this Wednesday.

I am doing a baseline dyno pull tomorrow night (Tues. 9pm). Install will be Wedn morning and will try to get another pull either Wedn night or Thursday.

Cooling system should be going in towards end of week or weekend. Will do a 3rd pull once that has been installed.

Slowly but surely...
Old 08-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vrus
Hey Cory,

Long time no talk. Thanks for jumping in and giving your input. Much appreciated!!
No problem-
Old 08-15-2005, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by vrus
Marcus,

I am not sure if some of those comments were aimed at my posts or not, but I am of the same viewpoint.

I know the car runs pig rich from the factory and adding the headers will make it run leaner. The main point I was trying to make was that if you were going to compare the Kleemann headers to the EVO headers I think the EVO will give you more power across the band than the Kleemann WITHOUT reprogramming.

My opinion is that the EVO will be able to maintain the boost level and the Kleemann design will probably result in a 1 or 2 lb drop in boost. Given this statement, the EVO design should make more power without reprogramming.

Of course, both headers will give you more power than the factory setup for a number of reasons, but, if you are comparing the 2 headers together and not wanting to do a reprogram the EVO would probably be a better choice.

Do you not agree?

I do agree 100% Victor, my post was not aimed at you.

Car is looking good BTW, glad to see you're getting some stuff done finally! I got my 19s on as well, but have had ZERO time to take any worthwhile pictures. Maybe this week.

-m
Old 08-15-2005, 11:18 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Thanks!! Yup. Finally getting stuff done. Taking a while but moving ahead slowly.

What wheels did you end up buying? You didnt do a CCW package did you? becuase John never mentioned anything to me...

Get her cleaned up and shoot some pics.. Or PM me a couple.. I wont share them.. I promise.

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I do agree 100% Victor, my post was not aimed at you.

Car is looking good BTW, glad to see you're getting some stuff done finally! I got my 19s on as well, but have had ZERO time to take any worthwhile pictures. Maybe this week.

-m