High speed runs: smell something burning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
High speed runs: smell something burning

This is actually part two of my threads. Read the "reduced brake" thread first.

Anyway, after realizing the car was running fine and the "brake" message most have been some kind of idiot light type problem, I figured I'd go for some high speed runs. As a lot of you know the beast is not my daily driver (for that i'm blessed with an '02 Ford Taurus ) so when I drive the 55 I drive it for the specific reason to go find some roads where I can open it up. I have some roads that I use for this purpose and they are great because A) there are no places for Cops to hide and B) there are no side streets or anyway for anyone else to come onto the road. Driving like this caused me to have to replace front rotors at 15,000 so I've been trying to take it a little easier lately. I can get anywhere from 120-150 and they are fairly short bursts with some heavy braking required in some parts. Not every time, but every now and then I smell something burning. Almost like plastic or rubber. It's not a steady smell but comes and goes.

I actually pulled over and got outside of the car and first got down near the front brakes to see if I smelled anything. Didn't smell anything, but I did almost singe my eyebrows. Damn, those things are hot!!! Popped the hood stuck my face in there and breathed. could feel the heat in my lungs!! LOL.

Anyone else ever smell any burning? never during "normal" driving only stomping starts at WOT and hard braking.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Sulfur?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:36 AM

2012 C63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Maybe the gearbox? Something with liquid that gets hot (lol basically everything)
Old 08-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My car starts to stink up really nicely (or bad according to my friends.. whatever) when I do very hard braking.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 PM

2006 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by cte430
This is actually part two of my threads. Read the "reduced brake" thread first.

Anyway, after realizing the car was running fine and the "brake" message most have been some kind of idiot light type problem, I figured I'd go for some high speed runs. As a lot of you know the beast is not my daily driver (for that i'm blessed with an '02 Ford Taurus ) so when I drive the 55 I drive it for the specific reason to go find some roads where I can open it up. I have some roads that I use for this purpose and they are great because A) there are no places for Cops to hide and B) there are no side streets or anyway for anyone else to come onto the road. Driving like this caused me to have to replace front rotors at 15,000 so I've been trying to take it a little easier lately. I can get anywhere from 120-150 and they are fairly short bursts with some heavy braking required in some parts. Not every time, but every now and then I smell something burning. Almost like plastic or rubber. It's not a steady smell but comes and goes.

I actually pulled over and got outside of the car and first got down near the front brakes to see if I smelled anything. Didn't smell anything, but I did almost singe my eyebrows. Damn, those things are hot!!! Popped the hood stuck my face in there and breathed. could feel the heat in my lungs!! LOL.

Anyone else ever smell any burning? never during "normal" driving only stomping starts at WOT and hard braking.

Did you ever find out what it was? This is happening to me lately - only at WOT - I start getting a strong burning smell then it goes away - but not during normal driving - a friend said I might need an oil change or may have an oil leak or it may be something with the transmission / clutch - let me know if you found out any information - thanks!