Sponsored by:

Stall with overheating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Stall with overheating

I was fortunate to get out of New Orleans yesterday. It took 3 hours to go from the Superdome to the outskirts of the city. My E55 was at idle most of the time. The ambient temp was 97 degrees. Obviously the AC was on. I kept an eye on the engine temp and normally it is 85C. The car got to 90-95C and for no reason just died. I've never had this happen, in fact my car has never had a problem such a stalling. It's run flawlessly for 17k miles.

I restarted it and gave it a bit of gas, turned off the AC and it cooled to 85C. The contra roads opened up and I was able to drive normally after that. No problem getting home. A 4.5 hour drive took 7 hours.

Has anyone had this occur? Should I be worried about anything? Does anyone know why?
Old 08-28-2005, 09:19 PM

No definitive answer from me, but this sounds a lot like the cooling issues that has been much talked about.

I don't see any mods in your signature so I assume your car is stock. Probably just got too hot and needed to cool down.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Cant be a cooling issue.. My cars runs at 100C all the time and I have never had it stall on me..

Something else is amis unfortunately.. Sorry I cant be of help.. I can only suggest you have someone with Star Diagnostics pull codes from ECU and see what happened.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:37 AM
adx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water pump???
Old 08-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
My guess would be cam sensor or faulty spark/ignition coil.

Either that or you are having trouble with Keyless go (if you have it).
Old 08-29-2005, 08:43 AM

'10 E63 AMG
This has happened to me once before, and it was at a stoplight in slow traffic. As with you, it started right back up again, I didn't look at the temp. guage. The service dept. guy said that occasionally, when the car is fairly new (as mine was at the time, about 5K miles), sometimes the ECU senses a change in driving style and shuts down to "re-set". I had no reference so I didn't question the guy any further, and it never happened again. My guess is that, with the bumper to bumper traffic getting our of NOLA yesterday, your car did the same thing. Has anyone else heard this explanation?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had it happen at about 5k mi. Similar senario... Stuck in traffic, water temp about 100 C and all of a sudden I take my foot off the brake and the car stalls. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any fault codes and didn't do anything. Problem went away as I haven't had a stall since (have 11k mi now).

Glad to hear you made it out OK!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey Vet,

You okay? Your home still there? What the heck are you gonna do for work with things in New Orleans down for months.

WOW!

Praying for you guys.

Jim
Old 08-30-2005, 12:27 PM

2005 E55
Stalling

Yes,

This just happen to me yesterday as well. My car stalled 2 times and when it started back up the start was engaged for a long time and cranked for about 10 sec not the normall 2 secs.

After that I was on toll road and punched it and had very little power in fact as I lifted off the gas the car started to pull harder. I believe I am having a intercoller pump failure. All day today it has been fine but we shall see.

My car has stalled 4 times since new and I have 14K on it now.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Vetluver,

Yeah.. Completely forgot to ask how your house is?? I was watching the coverage on CNN last night and feel for you guys.. I hope everything turns out ok for you and your family.

Stay safe and good luck!!
Old 08-31-2005, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by oblax4
This has happened to me once before, and it was at a stoplight in slow traffic. As with you, it started right back up again, I didn't look at the temp. guage. The service dept. guy said that occasionally, when the car is fairly new (as mine was at the time, about 5K miles), sometimes the ECU senses a change in driving style and shuts down to "re-set". I had no reference so I didn't question the guy any further, and it never happened again. My guess is that, with the bumper to bumper traffic getting our of NOLA yesterday, your car did the same thing. Has anyone else heard this explanation?
Did he say that with a straight face?! What a bunch of crap. Do a search here under "stalling".
Old 08-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cte430
Did he say that with a straight face?! What a bunch of crap. Do a search here under "stalling".
I'm glad you said something.. I was going to make a comment but decided not to.. I can't believe some of the crap some service people spew to their customers...

People in this world should learn to say: "I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that. But, give me some time and I will find out for you." when they don't have a clue about something..
Old 08-31-2005, 05:08 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Victor, Thanks for asking but we live in the north of the state and didn't even get much rain. We were taking my daughter to start Tulane undergraduate school. We left all her clothes, laptop, and living stuff and hauled a$$. Man is she pissed but happy not to get stuck in that mess.

I got another explanation for the stall, idle with max accessories will cause the battery to get to low and when it goes below a specific voltage it will stall. If you turn off accessories the voltage will be high enough to start and keep the car running. My friend says this isn't uncommon with computerized ignitions.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Did you get stuck in the water? I dont know if my problem is related, but recently we had some flash floods and my wife got caught in a flooded street. After getting the car to higher ground, she said the cluster said something about the coolant temp and to get to the dealer. She said it lasted a few seconds and it went away. The temp and everything else was fine and we haven't had a problem since.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:36 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by medici78
Did you get stuck in the water? I dont know if my problem is related, but recently we had some flash floods and my wife got caught in a flooded street. After getting the car to higher ground, she said the cluster said something about the coolant temp and to get to the dealer. She said it lasted a few seconds and it went away. The temp and everything else was fine and we haven't had a problem since.
Nope, We left the day before th storm hit. It was a beautiful sunny blistering hot day. Heat index was probably 110F.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Dude...SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE OKAY!!!!

What the h ell are you gonna do for work Vet? Orleans Parish is basically closed for months.....just curious as to what you are gonna do??

Where are you now??

Hope friends and relatives are well and accounted for.

***edit...sorry Vet, just noticed the "north LA address" post. Glad you are okay