Sponsored by:

Brake System Failure!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E63
Brake System Failure!

Here's one I haven't seen from you guys yet. I'm driving down the road when all of a sudden the dash starts beeping at me. I look down to see a red STOP sign on the dash and a message saying "Brake system failure, stop vehicle and proceed to workshop". The only problem was I COULDN'T STOP! Foot went to the floor. Very little stopping power. Fortunately I was able to stop before dying a horrible death. I shut the car off and when I restarted it, it was fine. Drove for another few miles and BANG! same problem. Long story short, this happened several more times before I could get it to the dealer today. Drove the car in the manual mode the whole time. I had to downshift quite a few times to slow the car enough to restart. Scared me to death the first few times. It's at the dealer tonight. I'll update when I get it back. Anyone else have this problem??? Also, anyone else argue with the dealer about a loaner car? It seems here in MI they won't give you a loaner unless you bought the car from them. Anyone else been given the same line? Hating driving the Misubishi Lancer from Enterprise. Not even an EVO!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Howdy there.
It's normal for a dealer not to give you a free loaner if you didn't buy the car from them.

As for the brake failure.. check these links out

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/92965-2004-e500-brake-failure.html

and this

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230/24344-brake-pump-failure.html

Good luck with your car, and keep us updated on the status!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:36 PM

2008 E63
Ricky,

Thanks for the education on others with the same problem. I'll keep everyone posted on what they tell me tomorrow. Fortunately I'll be more educated to what the possibilities are!
Old 08-29-2005, 07:50 PM

'05 C55 Black/Black Lighting, Premium, NAV
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. It may have been safer to use roadside assistance though. Hind sight is 20/20 though. Glad you are ok.

Mez

Last edited by mez456; 08-29-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:47 PM

07 S65
Sorry to hear about your problems. It happen to me as well. My problem was because of a recall that hadn't been performed. Keep us posted with yours. Good luck.

Derrick
Old 08-29-2005, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
That's why ole SBC is toast. I know some are staunch supporters of it, but let's face it....that is just not cool.

It's gotta go.....even 1 of those reports is too much....out of the few hundred E55 owners (???) on the forum....that is the 2nd or 3rd I have heard of.

Seriously folks....what if that happened when you got a little frisky and had her up to 120-130......or even higher. Wow!

Benz is gonna come out with something killer to replace it for sure.

Here is what is in store.....course if we start dying in mass, I would think this would happen before the 09 rollout.

Mercedes will abandon SBC in favor of conventional brakes, although they will boast features such as wet-weather disc wiping and wheel-selective cornering brake control. Optional ceramic-composite discs could be introduced top-down, starting with the AMG models.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
My car doesn't have SBC but I have wet-weater disc wiping (I think...) and I know I have wheel-selective cornering brake control.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:24 AM

2008 E63
Well, you guys were right. SBC module failure. Stealer replaced it and its fine now. The brakes actually feel different, so I wonder if the module wasn't right when I got the car. I promptly went to a relatively deserted section of town to keep practicing launches! I'm getting about one in three perfect with the ESP off! I'm about ready to go prowling!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGcrazy
Well, you guys were right. SBC module failure. Stealer replaced it and its fine now. The brakes actually feel different, so I wonder if the module wasn't right when I got the car. I promptly went to a relatively deserted section of town to keep practicing launches! I'm getting about one in three perfect with the ESP off! I'm about ready to go prowling!
The SBC problem is the only thing that scares me to death about this car... I drive at high speed quite frequently and just knowing the brakes can go on me sends shivers down my spine.

Glad nothing happened and you came out of it ok.