W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

How do you remove the Command in W211?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2005 | 08:04 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
How do you remove the Command in W211?

Does anyone know how to remove the Command console in the W211? Since I want my Ipod in another location other than the glove box, it looks like I'll be doing the install myself.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-31-2005 | 08:33 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
This is from memory, so bear with me...

On my car (which has the older center console) there is a flip up bottle holder just to the rear of the gear shift plate.

To get to the command you have to popup the plate (burl wood in my case) that the transmission lever and buttons are attached to. Its 1 piece and is held down by 4 clips. It lifts straight out.

1) For me I flip open the cup holder which exposes the rear of the gear shift plate. I pull up on the rear of that trim plate and it lifts up. Then I pull up on the front section to unhook it.

2) Lift the gear shift lever plate as far up as you can.. Do it slowly because there are 3 or 4 connectors attached to it that you will have to remove. Unhook all the connectors.

3) Next you have to remove the ashtray assembly. As far as I can remember it slides right out. Pull out slowly because there is 1 connector behind it for the cigarette lighter.

4) Next you remove the CD changer holder. As far as I remember there are 2 bolts holding it in place at the bottom. Undo the 2 bolts and pull straight out. There will be connectors behind this one also so pull slowly.

5) Now you can get to the bolts that hold the command unit in.. I believe there are 2 of them.. both should be at the bottom.

Basically, the dash comes apart from the bottom up. Once you get the gear shift lever unit up, you'll figure out the rest.

I hope I remembered correctly and that you can follow what I am saying.

Good luck!