Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple Cooling mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vrus
Here is a pic under the car that shows what the tray looks like... Let me know what you think..
Based on the pic and your description, I would say the covers are there to form a channel to direct air across the exhaust system, meaning the headers and cats. Removing either one could disrupt the focused flow and possibly exacerbate the heat issue. Your best alternative might be to include some scoops/baffles into the front cover to pull in more air, which will be cooler than the air passing through the radiator(s).
Old 09-08-2005, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Vetluver
Vic, Two thoughts come to mind, first why not find out why your E55 runs normally at 100 degrees. I would think it should be 85, 95 max. You may have a cooling issue. Thermostat? The other is, why not wrap your exhaust and precats with header wrap.

Man, your car's bottom is filthy, you ever pressure wash it?
Just kidding, it just doesn't match the flawless topside.
My car is almost always at 100. Never goes above, but gets there fairly quickly espceially on hot days. Several other people I have spoken with also are at the 100 mark pretty regularly
Old 09-08-2005, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
That's strange , my car never gets hotter than 95 no matter what. This summer in Miami has been brutal.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:07 PM

2005 E55 Black
My 05 E55 has 3900 miles on it and it runs 80 C on the temp guage. This may sound too basic but here is my two cents on a couple of easy things to check out. 1. Any coolant mixture greater than 50/50 mix of antifreeze to water is less effiicient. A lot of people think adding more antifreeze to the water makes it better. It actually makes it worse at removing engine heat. 2. If you use anything other than distilled water such as tap water and it has a lot of mineral content it will plug the bottom cores of your radiator almost like hardening of the arteries. I have seen radiators completely plugged using hard tap water with a high mineral content. That will reduce the efficiency of the radiator. 3. The obvious one you already mentioned would be to test the thermostat and see when it opens. It may be sticking and only partially opening. Again could be due to tap water.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by machz990
My 05 E55 has 3900 miles on it and it runs 80 C on the temp guage. This may sound too basic but here is my two cents on a couple of easy things to check out. 1. Any coolant mixture greater than 50/50 mix of antifreeze to water is less effiicient. A lot of people think adding more antifreeze to the water makes it better. It actually makes it worse at removing engine heat. 2. If you use anything other than distilled water such as tap water and it has a lot of mineral content it will plug the bottom cores of your radiator almost like hardening of the arteries. I have seen radiators completely plugged using hard tap water with a high mineral content. That will reduce the efficiency of the radiator. 3. The obvious one you already mentioned would be to test the thermostat and see when it opens. It may be sticking and only partially opening. Again could be due to tap water.
I've never filled the rad so whatever came in the car when I bought it is what is there now... Maybe I should drain some and refill with higher distilled water content.

I'll give that a shot once they check my water pump and thermostat.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG & Sold: Mazda RX-8
Hi Victor,

On the LS1 Chev engines, colder operating temperature thermostats are available to lower the engine running temp. I do not know if a range of different operating temp thermostats are available for the Mercedes engines, but if they are this would be a simple method to alter the operating temperature of your engine.

In my previous HSV's (Holden Special Vehicles) I found the best performance was obtained by using a 84 degrees Celsius thermostat.

Joe
Old 09-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG & Sold: Mazda RX-8
Victor,

Did a quick search and found a 87 degree Celsius thermostat available for the E55 (pre 2003 ie; non supercharged). If one is available for your engine it doesn't cost much to try it out.

http://www.maximumautoparts.com/MB_T...001_items.html

Hope this helps,

Joe

Last edited by OZC32AMG; 09-09-2005 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by OZC32AMG
Hi Victor,

On the LS1 Chev engines, colder operating temperature thermostats are available to lower the engine running temp. I do not know if a range of different operating temp thermostats are available for the Mercedes engines, but if they are this would be a simple method to alter the operating temperature of your engine.

In my previous HSV's (Holden Special Vehicles) I found the best performance was obtained by using a 84 degrees Celsius thermostat.

Joe
Hey Joe,

I had a C5 vette also.. When I first got my E55, I started looking for all the little things that I did on my C5... I wasn't too surprised to find out that these simple things weren't available.

If I knew the manufacturer of the thermostat I could probably source a lower temp one, but, as it is now, I can only get the factory replacement.