Race Cats going in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
!@#&!^@*#&^!@#(&!&@^#(&!@#

Got another call tonight.. Friday is cancelled and rescheduled for next Monday. They have a car "stuck" on the hoist and other cars that are backlogged so I have to wait until they catch up.

This is gonna be a loooooonnnnggg week..

Ah well..
Old 11-10-2005, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vrus
!@#&!^@*#&^!@#(&!&@^#(&!@#

Got another call tonight.. Friday is cancelled and rescheduled for next Monday. They have a car "stuck" on the hoist and other cars that are backlogged so I have to wait until they catch up.

This is gonna be a loooooonnnnggg week..

Ah well..
Maybe you can help pass the time by doing some controlled data logging (IAT, spark advance, etc) to characterize the operational effect of the added boost? Just a thought.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Maybe you can help pass the time by doing some controlled data logging (IAT, spark advance, etc) to characterize the operational effect of the added boost? Just a thought.
I thought about doing that also but the ECU program that I am running is setup for the pullies. Right now it is pulling pretty good but I think it is running a bit rich. Do you think it would be a valid experiment considering the ECU map is not correct for the current state of the car?
Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 AM

07 S65
I've been trying to keep up but I'm getting lost. What did the car do with your new exhaust system? Why are you adding another mod before knowing what the exhaust is doing? Sorry if this is talked about in an earlier post but I didn't catch it if it was.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by DJe55
I've been trying to keep up but I'm getting lost. What did the car do with your new exhaust system? Why are you adding another mod before knowing what the exhaust is doing? Sorry if this is talked about in an earlier post but I didn't catch it if it was.
I'll do a recap:

Stock car, K&N, thermotec airboxes: 411rwhp, 476rwtq

Added EVO Headers, wires, cooling system: 442rwhp, 497rwtq

Added 3" mid section exhaust with race cats (at this point I wasnt sure if the intercooler pump was running 100% or not because I thought I was just running too lean): 430rwhp, 497rwtq. (Lost 12hp)

Moved race cats from below headers to further down, replaced X-pipe with H-pipe, replaced intercooler pump with a new pump: 443rwhp, 500rwtq.

When I added the exhaust to the car and got it running 100% the best I could do was 443rwhp, 500rwtq. That power was made with 2lbs less boost than I was running before. (I am not sure how much was lost because of headers separately because I am not sure in the datalogs which was which).

The bottom line is at the current modification level I was at, the exhaust didnt increase power. The car was running more efficiently (less stress on the motor) and making the same power using less boost. I would probably of been better off just removing the primary cats on the STOCK exhaust.. But, since I was planning on taking this car to the extreme I built the exhaust since I knew I would need it eventually.

Now, at the point that I am at, I would either have to go back to the stock exhaust and remove the primary cats and live with this power level, or push forward and put the pullies on to increase the boost.

I decided this would be a good opportunity to put the pullies on and see how much power I can get out of the car with +3lbs of boost (which would put me +1lb over the stock setting). No point in going backwards.

My approach will now have to be reversed form before. I will keep tuning the ECU for the pullies until I have reached the maximum power I can extract. At that point, I will take OFF the exhaust I built and put the stock one back on (minus the primary cats) and see how much I lose (if any). This will give me the delta I was looking for in the first place and tell me if changing the stock exhaust is even worthwhile.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:45 PM

I thought about doing that also but the ECU program that I am running is setup for the pullies. Right now it is pulling pretty good but I think it is running a bit rich. Do you think it would be a valid experiment considering the ECU map is not correct for the current state of the car?
I think it would be valid for the parameters that the pulley would affect (IAT, MAP, etc).
Old 11-11-2005, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
May be finally after such a long topic, you could post some sound clip of your exhausts???

You should make around 580 HP using proper ECU with this set up...

With stock car, if you bring the boost using ECU from 0.9 to 1.0 (MKB approach) you'll get extra 54HP...total 530 + CAI (more air behind throtle bodies) another 10HP, so MKB stage 1 is 540HP stock exhaust!!! with CATs removed may be another 10-15HP...

Are all 4 CATS (primary and secondary) on E55K the same???
Old 11-11-2005, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
How do u get more boost via ECU - its mechanically derived ?

Rgds Steve.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
I dont KNOW...

MKB uses Pullies only in the last stage when the boost power to 620 HP...
Old 11-22-2005, 07:02 PM

2004 E55 Evosport I & II; VRP H/E
Should be interesting.. Stay tuned...
Victor: any updates?

Mark.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lbE55
Victor: any updates?

Mark.
Hey Mark,

I didn't want to keep posting saying it was postponed so I thought I would wait until the install was complete.. They had an S600 with some major problems and had some backlog of work to complete so they pushed me back until this Thursday. It's been rescheduled 3 times already.

I confirmed and told them they better not cancel on me again or it's their a$$...

I think I am definitely booked for Thursday.

On another note:

I've been driving around with the tune for the pullies for a while now.. I had to let a C5 Z06 Corvette go that I've been itching to run with for a while.. He lives in my neck of the woods and we cross paths all the time but never in the same direction.

As good old murphy's law has it, he happens to tail me onto the highway 2 mornings ago.. Great.. My car is limping and not healthy and he wants to play... Just great! I could tell it was not going to be in my favour just from a little "testing" I did with him so I had to behave and let him go.. Damnit... Can't wait until it's running 100% again. This is killing me...
Old 12-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Well.. I know it is much later than anticipated but I finally had the pullies installed yesterday. My schedule just didn't coincide with the mechanic's schedule so it took a while to find the time to get the car to him.

This guy that works on my car is a Mercedes certified tech and it took him 5hrs to re/re the 4 pullies. The car runs perfectly smooth... no vibrations or noises.

I drove the car home yesterday night and initial impressions are that the car's throttle response has improved even more. I didnt get a chance to really pour on the power because it was a bit slipperly last night. I did a quick 3rd gear blast from 3,000RPM to redline and it pulls VERY hard.

I was going to take it to the dyno tomorrow but I am going to wait until next week. My ECU programmer is going to load a new program for me which he said he picked up another 15hp - 20hp from this initial tune I have. Once I have put 200miles on the new tune I will put it on the rollers and see where we are at.

Even with the pullies and the ECU tune I can already tell that this new 3" exhaust I built is still overkill.. I will test it on the dyno for the heck of it, and then put back my stock exhaust minus the primary cats and see what the differences are.

I am trying to close this chapter soon so I can start testing & tuning the water/meth system. Hopefully we are making good power and I wont have to re-look at the ECU again.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Well.. I know it is much later than anticipated but I finally had the pullies installed yesterday. My schedule just didn't coincide with the mechanic's schedule so it took a while to find the time to get the car to him.

This guy that works on my car is a Mercedes certified tech and it took him 5hrs to re/re the 4 pullies. The car runs perfectly smooth... no vibrations or noises.

I drove the car home yesterday night and initial impressions are that the car's throttle response has improved even more. I didnt get a chance to really pour on the power because it was a bit slipperly last night. I did a quick 3rd gear blast from 3,000RPM to redline and it pulls VERY hard.

I was going to take it to the dyno tomorrow but I am going to wait until next week. My ECU programmer is going to load a new program for me which he said he picked up another 15hp - 20hp from this initial tune I have. Once I have put 200miles on the new tune I will put it on the rollers and see where we are at.

Even with the pullies and the ECU tune I can already tell that this new 3" exhaust I built is still overkill.. I will test it on the dyno for the heck of it, and then put back my stock exhaust minus the primary cats and see what the differences are.

I am trying to close this chapter soon so I can start testing & tuning the water/meth system. Hopefully we are making good power and I wont have to re-look at the ECU again.
Good news Vic and I hope everything turns out great.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rflow306
Thanks buddy!!

I have some new toys on the way also.. Looking at doing a new throttle body and hopefully will have the programming done for the recirculation valve located below the throttle body.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
'16 CLS550
By the way, did you try to get a number of pround of the parts you take out and replace it? I just try to see what kind of weight saving can get by replaceing the X pipe and by pass the second cat.

Harry
Old 12-21-2005, 08:16 PM

Unfortunatly Not A Silver Star
Should be interesting...................

Well, got my 100cell race cats finally!!

I only ordered 2 of them. Tomorrow we are taking off those huge cantelopes (I call them cantelopes, you guys might refer to them as the primary cats) and replacing them with these 100 cell stainless 3" race cats.

I will be doing some testing with just 1 set and the stock secondaries.. I'll get a couple of pulls on the dyno (with the guy who dyno'd my car stock since his new shop is setup now).

Then, I will hack off the secondary cats, install a 3" X-pipe and redyno. Assuming I dont get a check engine light with just the 1 set of race cats, I may have to install a second set of 100cell cats to keep the stock ECU happy and not give me a check engine light.

Pics and updates to follow tomorrow.

Wish me luck...
Will be good to see what you get out of it, hope a few more HP, also i checke dout your site, some nice cars on there, inc your own, looks mad with the 19's on !
Old 12-21-2005, 08:17 PM

Unfortunatly Not A Silver Star
Nice..

Originally Posted by rflow306

Dude im in love with your car, the things looks ausome, lovin thoose 20's !
Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by harryTAM
By the way, did you try to get a number of pround of the parts you take out and replace it? I just try to see what kind of weight saving can get by replaceing the X pipe and by pass the second cat.

Harry
Unfortunately, I didnt weigh the parts before removing them. To be honest I think the bulk of the weight on the exhaust is the mufflers in the back. I've been looking for a set of Titanium mufflers that I can use which would integrate into the existing system. That's where the real weight savings will come from.

Will be good to see what you get out of it, hope a few more HP, also i checke dout your site, some nice cars on there, inc your own, looks mad with the 19's on !
Thanks!

I'm waiting for the new tune to be put on my car and then will dyno.. With christmas approaching it will probably happen just before the end of the year.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 AM

2012 E63 Bi Turbo
interesting article but alas never finished.

anyone have the conclusions?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Let me see. This thread is five years old and you are asking for the conclusion?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:45 AM

2012 E63 Bi Turbo
If you have nothing positive to add why do you bother commenting.?
Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 AM

His wife crazy
Originally Posted by barlow100
If you have nothing positive to add why do you bother commenting.?
Because it's a stupid n00b question. Get a clue, Mr. Raise a thread from the dead.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:59 PM

2012 E63 Bi Turbo
It probably didnt occur to your tiny mind that others on this forum are spending time and money experimenting with all the same parameters that this article encapsulates.

After reading 8 pages of interesting well documented experimentation with no conclusions one could be forgiven for being a little disappointed that the outcomes are not known.

Perhaps the writer succumbed to the snide cynicism that is sometimes prevalent on this forum???